shielding bubble question.

Started by Ferro70, April 08, 2015, 03:41:49 AM

Ferro70

Currently I'm working on a few mods that will add ships from Homeworld to the game.

I already finished work on a capital ship model and its scale. but I am running into problems with the shield coverage on it.

due to the size of the ship, the shield coverage is so large that loot containers bump into the shield radius and therefor don't come close enough for me to interact with them.

is there a way that I can change the interaction radius of the ship and/or turn the shield from a sphere into an oval?

FlessenGreendart

I remember this issue when creating the Enterprise. I would really love to see oval shields implemented.

Ferro70

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on April 08, 2015, 03:46:54 AM
I remember this issue when creating the Enterprise. I would really love to see oval shields implemented.

so what did you do to fix the issue? downsizing isn't really an option I want to resort to.

guess I could always make it so that the ship doesn't actually use shields to negate it. will just have to make the colission zone better

FlessenGreendart

Alas, that was all I could do. I bought it down to the size of the Aurora.
Failing that, make the collisions smaller. It would be less accurate, and there's a risk of clipping, but it might suffice

Ferro70

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on April 08, 2015, 04:37:47 AM
Alas, that was all I could do. I bought it down to the size of the Aurora.
Failing that, make the collisions smaller. It would be less accurate, and there's a risk of clipping, but it might suffice

yeah I'm starting to see that I may need to do that. I'm running into issues where I would autodock straight after just having undocked, because part of the model is over the hanger threshold.
not that the autodocking would be that big of an issue after the ship has turned sideways but sadly there is no way to abort auto docking right now.

LanToaster

I would go the Easy way, and go for Cap. Ships without Shields.
You can give them "AutoRepair".

Ferro70

Quote from: LanToaster on April 08, 2015, 04:47:42 AM
I would go the Easy way, and go for Cap. Ships without Shields.
You can give them "AutoRepair".
considered that, but right now the auto docking on undock is kinda destroying that idea too.