Ability to set waypoints

Started by Tycow, April 05, 2014, 01:36:44 PM

Tycow

A bit like Freelancer, if you want to get to a point in your current system, or in another system, a waypoint system would be brilliant.

Some kind of on screen arrow pointing towards where you need to go (a jump gate, station, etc.) like space GPS would help me massively.

Any chance of this? :D

cengbrecht

Leave unchanged and perish.

Ophidios

Along that note, it would also be great if you could hit an Autopilot, like in Freelancer (or Star Control 2), and just auto-cruisers to your point of interest.  Double clicking it from the galaxy map to set it as a nav target (providing an off-radar pip), then press a button or "shift+a" to engage autopilot.

Xaoc

On the same general topic, it would be great if station and gate icons would shadow on the radar. That is, their icons would stay at the edges of the radar screen even if they're out of range, just half transparently so as not to obstruct. This would allow the player to get the direction of a station or a gate without necessarily opening the map for quick navigation when there's no time or details are not needed.

Also, similarly it would be great if the system map had a player orientation indicator like the radar. Right now you'd need a ruler to orient yourself accurately towards distant objects.

cengbrecht

I think having the stations and gate show up would be a little too much clutter. I would rather see a waypoint set and if it happens to be a station or a gate, maybe their icon showing instead of a directional marker.
Leave unchanged and perish.

DLirry

We will certainly implement waypoints, autopilot and directions on minimap in future updates, great ideas!
Doubting yourself is the only path to perfection

daft73

Quote from: DLirry on April 06, 2014, 07:32:10 PM
We will certainly implement waypoints, autopilot and directions on minimap in future updates, great ideas!
This is great news! It's nice when 'Quality of life' additions are made to a game, fight the power! just say no to lock-wrist stiff body syndrome.

Creat

At the moment, any way to just set some point on the map that shows up as an arrow on the radar would be a huge help.

This already seems to work for quests, but just being able to (for example) right-click the map to set a point (again to clear it) would do just fine for this. Doesn't have to snap to objects or anything (it's actually better if it doesn't).

One additional thing, roughly related: Can you please change the radar-icon for loot to be different than space-junk? Would also be a tiny change (I hope) that would be a significant help :)

djs4000

Bumping because the lack of waypoints has been a huge frustration in an otherwise fine game.

Lurler

Quote from: Creat on May 15, 2014, 08:54:15 PM
At the moment, any way to just set some point on the map that shows up as an arrow on the radar would be a huge help.
Done :)
And not just that, but much more versatile system that would later include autopilot as well.