Cannot Start Local Server - Running as Standard User

Started by dmullaney, April 03, 2015, 02:20:57 AM

dmullaney

Hey Guys,
Windows user here, just bought the game and I'm getting the 'Cannot start local server' problem.
I've read the help section and confirmed that I have VoidExpanse.Server.exe in my exclusions list and I've added the firewall rules to ensure the game and server have exclusions in place.

The only thing I could think of was that I'm running as a Standard User not an Administrator - although when I tried to run the game with elevated privilages I get another error saying I have to launch the game through the steam client.

Any help would be much appreciated
Dave

ai_enabled

Quote from: dmullaney on April 03, 2015, 02:20:57 AM
Hey Guys,
Windows user here, just bought the game and I'm getting the 'Cannot start local server' problem.
I've read the help section and confirmed that I have VoidExpanse.Server.exe in my exclusions list and I've added the firewall rules to ensure the game and server have exclusions in place.

The only thing I could think of was that I'm running as a Standard User not an Administrator - although when I tried to run the game with elevated privilages I get another error saying I have to launch the game through the steam client.

Any help would be much appreciated
Dave
Hello!
Could you try to run the Steam as Administrator please?

dmullaney

Thanks - that seems to work - not exactly a long term solution but at least it gets me into the game  :)

ai_enabled

Quote from: dmullaney on April 03, 2015, 02:42:05 AM
Thanks - that seems to work - not exactly a long term solution but at least it gets me into the game  :)
Great! Thanks for reporting it, we will try to fix it as soon as possible.
Regards!

dmullaney

Thanks please let me know if you find a safer solution - I'm very wary of running something like Steam as admin - since its essentially a browser and so it presents a large threat vector.