Author Topic: So....what is this game exactly?  (Read 556 times)

loudent

• View Profile
So....what is this game exactly?
« on: January 11, 2017, 10:34:40 am »
I'm still unclear on what this game actually is. It describes itself as a survival game but you control a single player and play on servers with other players. It has RPG elements such as skills but doesn't describe itself as either a MMORPG or MORPG. It focuses on creation, but creation of what? Is it essentially minecraft++? Is there PvE conflict or primarily PvP? I'm just not getting clear vision of what the gameplay would be like

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
Re: So....what is this game exactly?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 09:58:44 pm »
Okay, let's go over the basic concepts then :)

- The game is server based, which means you can choose one of the servers (either official or community run) and join it. Our goal is to have at least 100+ people on each server. As a consequence of that will will have much stricter rules for launching your own servers to keep the number of servers smaller and their quality higher. Although you can certainly run your own private server for you and your friends if you so choose.

- The game centers heavily around the players themselves and the choices they make. You may decide to become a great engineer, but you will certainly need someone who can specialize on weapons & defenses, then someone who is specialized in chemistry and physics, etc. This will force most of the players to either join forces together in small groups or join a city. Although you can certainly play solo only by yourself. But in that case you will have to do occasional trips to the city (player run city, ofc.) to buy certain supplies and tools that you can't produce yourself. Well, that or you can spend a bit more time to diversify your own skills, though it will be a bit more difficult.

- We want to have extremely powerful economy in the game with a lot of "real world" processes simulated in the game. Resource mining, resource processing, manufacturing, trade, commerce & banking, military run by the state, shipping large quantities of resources and products to different areas, geopolitics and politics in general, etc.

- We decided to choose quite simplistic visual style to enable people to create mods for the game more easily. Additionally, this time around we have amazingly powerful modding tools. So powerful in fact that the entire game is written as a mod itself. Plus all of the code if open source. We expect to see a lot of great mods popping up as soon as we make the server files public. This will surely drive innovations in the game and we will see a lot of interesting and creative mods.

etc.

As you can see this is quite massive and ambitious project by itself, but with help of our community we expect to see even more interesting stuff!

PS - and I also replied in this topic, see my two next posts, I go into details of what you can do in the game and what technology it will have.
http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=884.msg5708#msg5708

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 11:18:50 pm »
So powerful in fact that the entire game is written as a mod itself. Plus all of the code if open source.
To clarify - Renkei Engine is not open-source, but CryoFall Core (which is done as a mod) is open-source - including the server and client code (actually they're integrated very tightly) with all the gameplay mechanics, assets (sprites, sounds, animations, maps, etc), content (items, structures, etc), user interface. It will also include modding tutorials, tools and API reference. That's a big deal for modders and they can expect first-class support from us. We're going to upload this repository on GitHub which will open possibilities for community code reviews and pull requests (so basically anybody will be able to fork it, modify and make a pull request if they want us to merge the changes back into the official repository).

And regarding the "not a MMO" question. Obviously it's impossible to make an MMO game with the support for the server modding. Another issue with MMOs are vicious grind mechanics - but most players these days have families, job and other responsibilities. We don't want players to spend hundreds of hours just to level up. And we want to make all the content useful - not just the end-game stuff/selected skills/specialization forever (also we plan to add multiple races!). That's only possible if you could join a new server without much regrets and enjoy it right from the start! It will also help avoiding the leveling barrier for your friends to join you.
Also there is a Dunbar's number (Gamasutra link) concept (the concept that a given human being will, on average, be only to mentally process about 200 social connections). So theoretically if we could serve up to 300 online players per server most people will feel their social interactions are on par with MMO level.

Regards!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 12:25:01 am by Lurler »

loudent

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 02:39:11 pm »
I don't necessarily think an MMO has to have "grindy" mechanics nor that having server modding preclude it. MMO simply indicates multiplayer online mechanics. Originally the first "M" meant massive but the meaning of MMO has drifted to anything that is primarily done online in a at least semi, persistent world.

What you have here sounds intriguing and I've roped my daughter into alpha testing it with me. She's kind of excited to have a voice to where the game goes.

For me, while I enjoy playing a good game as much as the next guy, I almost always get more into modding and world building. Between NWN1 and NWN2 I built 3 PW (persistent player worlds) and I'm admin pledge on SO(another MORPG). I'd likely be interested in building one on Cryofall as well.

Cheers,
-loudent