Author Topic: Our new game  (Read 6046 times)

loudent

• View Profile
Re: Our new game
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2017, 02:52:46 pm »
PvP is a solid part of fun for many gamers, I think that it will be better to open separated PvE and PvP servers.
Nobody talks about rewarding griefers, but, imo, "free PvP" must be implemented in game like CryoFall.

While I agree in principal (and you're talking to someone who *hates* PvP in an RPG) you have the issue of splitting the player-base and, honestly, you won't really make anyone happy. The PvP crowd is also split into groups. Open world PvP, RvR, Area based PvP (contested areas vs home areas). Whichever way you go most people will be unhappy. So lets see you offer a server for every taste then instead of a single server with 100 people you get 5 servers with 20. If the game is successful enough it can certain support favored servers but I think that is better served by world builders.

So, I don't know that offering different flavors is the way to go and there are significant problems with both. While PvP allows player griefting via being "ganked". Allows griefing as well (building things to preclude other players from accessing areas, training mobs into town etc etc) with the additional issue of not being able to retaliate.

I guess I'm saying I don't have a perfect answer. just wanted to voice my thoughts.

Samui

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2017, 08:48:29 am »
While I agree in principal (and you're talking to someone who *hates* PvP in an RPG) you have the issue of splitting the player-base and, honestly, you won't really make anyone happy. The PvP crowd is also split into groups. Open world PvP, RvR, Area based PvP (contested areas vs home areas). Whichever way you go most people will be unhappy. So lets see you offer a server for every taste then instead of a single server with 100 people you get 5 servers with 20. If the game is successful enough it can certain support favored servers but I think that is better served by world builders.

So, I don't know that offering different flavors is the way to go and there are significant problems with both. While PvP allows player griefting via being "ganked". Allows griefing as well (building things to preclude other players from accessing areas, training mobs into town etc etc) with the additional issue of not being able to retaliate.

I guess I'm saying I don't have a perfect answer. just wanted to voice my thoughts.

I don't think that 100% right solution for this issue even exist. Even almighty WoW has problems in balancing between PvP and PvE content. ;)

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2017, 06:11:49 am »
and then it hit me - this game sounds like a mix between factorio and a survival game.

Goodluck to you Atomictorch guys with the Alpha

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2017, 01:36:47 pm »
So, what's happening now you have some players testing the game ? Are feedbacks close to what you've expected ? You have some unpleasant surprises ? Some good stuff ?

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 06, 2017, 09:08:11 pm »
So, what's happening now you have some players testing the game ? Are feedbacks close to what you've expected ? You have some unpleasant surprises ? Some good stuff ?
Well, I wrote a short conclusion/report of the test here https://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1173/CryoFall-DevBlog-14-Closed-Test-Report
Everything went smoothly! :)
There weren't any problems really, a couple of small bugs, but even that was fixed in just a few days during the test.
That's the difference for not using the Unity - everything works! :)
As for the game design - there were a few things that need to be changed, but we expected that, since it's only an early development version, not even anywhere close to alpha.

Bottom line is - everything is great and we are full steam ahead working on the next version! :)

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2017, 02:26:04 am »
Everything i read so far seems nice, keep doing it !

A small concern about the GUI, on this picture the list of skills on the left is fine, as there are only a few skills.

However when i will now the dozen more you want to add, i will have to scroll to view them all. I think the GUI could easily fit a much longer list, with less vertically-stretched skill tabs. Too much empty space up and down each skill's name, it could be 50% smaller.

Sure you can say it's pre-alpha, but from my gaming experienc over the past 30+ years, the final product is very often similar to the screen shown during alpha. Simply too much add and to do, to redo stuff over that.

So, it's about this picture, but also about all the other i have not seen yet.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2017, 02:34:12 am »
Well, to put it simply, we can change that stuff literally in seconds.
Here's what ai_enabled just did as an example:

(click to enlarge)

As you can see it is much more compact. Something like this could be an option, for example.

So, no worries, we got it covered! We will do everything as best as we can and we will listen to all feedback from the players :)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2017, 09:05:36 pm by Lurler »

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2017, 05:15:52 am »
Alright then !