Keeping the Balance

Started by p0ki, August 24, 2015, 07:41:28 AM

p0ki

Hello Everyone, I would like to start a discussion in what could be "fair" in mods and what not.

I dont want to mod a device that costs 10d and mines an asteroid completely in 2 seconds, I would like to keep a certain balance within the Game. I've looked into the SpecMiningDevices Mod and the devices, since he uses a completly different mining script to calculate values, just feel overpowered.

Going from the base values of a "Industrial Mining Device" as 100% would you say this is fair?:
300% Duration (33% Speed)
200% Yield (as discussed here (http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=807.0))
50% Energy

Also what price would be fair on a hull with 5000 cargo, no devices, no weapons?

MattyK

Quote from: p0ki on August 24, 2015, 07:41:28 AM
Also what price would be fair on a hull with 5000 cargo, no devices, no weapons?

Ooh, with that amount of cargo space, there's a lot of viability for traders to make real bucket-tonnes if they could get more than 300-500 units of a given resource from a station... Still, for practicality's sake I'd say make it around the Heavy Cruiser stage for about... 45,000-55,000? (And that's being fairly generous.)

That said, there really does need to be more money-sinks for those approaching the Heavy Cruiser stage.

p0ki

Quote from: MattyK on August 24, 2015, 10:18:16 AM
45,000-55,000? (And that's being fairly generous.)
Remember, you cant stick weapons or devices on it. Also I would put on it a massive weight so its slow and bad to maneuver.

MattyK

Quote from: p0ki on August 24, 2015, 11:06:46 AM
Remember, you cant stick weapons or devices on it. Also I would put on it a massive weight so its slow and bad to maneuver.

So would you rate it higher or lower then? I mean, when you evaluate the current economy system, there is no way in hell you're going to max out 5k in commodities without sitting on a station for 20-30 minutes (Unless you exclusively choose some cheap common ore)... And even at that minimum margin, you're still going to get a turnover of anywhere between 20-50k.

At least that's how I speculate it'll work with Trading...

p0ki

When I am done mining a system I usually have around 10k - 20k glepsite in my container and it sucks to fly in and out with just 2k. So I would scrap everything for maximum cargo.
Quote from: MattyK on August 24, 2015, 12:16:40 PM
So would you rate it higher or lower then?
Lower of course, no weapons means you can't defend yourself.

MattyK

So... It's a tug or a freighter essentially, something you use to ferry huge amounts of goods around... But at that price... I don't see the problem personally ├│.o
If you're already trying to empty a container full of 10-20k Glepsite, wouldn't you still effectively have enough to afford it in a system-clearing mining run or two?

It seems more convenience for what already is, from a design standpoint, a rather questionable way to play (The entire 'empty cargo into a container and keep on mining while dragging what is effectively an infinite storage cube behind you')

You also seem to have answered your own question, desiring such a ship for less than 40k.

p0ki

Quote from: MattyK on August 24, 2015, 02:55:28 PM
(The entire 'empty cargo into a container and keep on mining while dragging what is effectively an infinite storage cube behind you')
Maybe they should add a weight (more mass?) to containers, so that after 1000 units or so it becomes almost unmovable.
It would also be cool to have that on ships that size, so they are more maneuverable when empty.

Quote from: MattyK on August 24, 2015, 02:55:28 PM
You also seem to have answered your own question, desiring such a ship for less than 40k.
I would buy it for 200k honestly.

Lurler

Hm, that would be interesting. Adding changing mass to containers I mean.
I'm not sure if that's possible though. Since what we can do with the physics is fairly limited by the physics engine itself.

p0ki

Hy Lurler, how did you guys come up with the prices of the items? Did you calculations or something?

Lurler

Well, we did simple mathematical models for different items, their properties and levels. And then adjusted "by the eye" method to make it feel more "right" :)