Cloaking Device?

Started by frizzank, September 09, 2015, 03:25:53 PM

frizzank

Is a cloaking device possible?  Ideally it would make the ship dispensary but I could work with not being able to lock on.

Any thoughts?

Silberspeer

We didn't plan to implement the cloaking device. Actually, in my personal opinion there is no need in such a device - the whole gameplay is really different, if you want to avoid contact - you can just outrun or warp-jump.

frizzank

I wanted it for the romulan and klingon ships. I thought it would be cool if it was possible, even if it didn't really have a game play purpose.

p0ki

Didn't we have the whole cloaking discussion before (http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=793.0)?

Silberspeer

We did but it never hurts to talk about it again.

frizzank

This isn't a "should I do it" discussion.

It's a how would I do it in a mod?

Lurler

Weeeeeell....
Quite frankly I don't think that it's possible without changing the internals of the game :)

frizzank

Devices can run scripts, can I run a script to change the model of my ship to something transparent, and then back again on completion?

Silberspeer

It is not possible to change model of the ship or shader of the existing model using Script API.

p0ki

You would also need to adjust the NPC Scripts, so they properly react to your cloak.

frizzank

Change the lock on defense to 100%

Spawn a black sprite on top of my ship (not really invisible, would be hard to see standing still)

Change faction reputation to all positive.

Now NPC's will ignore me and it will be harder to see me. If they do they can not lock on.

Silberspeer

Yeah but also you need to save the factions attitudes to put them back when you leave the stealth mode.