Author Topic: Art and Screenshots  (Read 11383 times)

kyokei

• View Profile
Re: Art and Screenshots
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2016, 05:00:25 am »
interesting! getting major project zomboid vibes from this which is really good.
I'd be interested to see what kind of characters you can play.

Also not sure if you said this before or not, but will there be specific classes or is it just that you spawn and go!
How will the skills be done? By a leveling system? or just skill points (like in ve)?

And lastly, how do you know what to build? Do you discover patterns in the world? Do you research stuff? Do you get new patterns by leveling?

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2016, 09:26:16 pm »
interesting! getting major project zomboid vibes from this which is really good.
I'd be interested to see what kind of characters you can play.
Umm, not really. It is very different game to be honest.

Also not sure if you said this before or not, but will there be specific classes or is it just that you spawn and go!
How will the skills be done? By a leveling system? or just skill points (like in ve)?
We have something completely different when it comes to what character you play, but it is a major feature of the game, so I would prefer to announce it properly when we start doing the blogposts on our site later :)
As for leveling, skills, etc.
Yes, there will be a skill system (a bit unusual one) and also something like a multi-layer tech tree. Again, I will write a more detailed post with information about all that stuff. It's not anything groundbreaking, but I think what we plan to do should be very fun to play :)
And most important thing that we keep in mind when designing this is to allow people to specialize in different areas in order to establish an active economy, large communities, etc.

And lastly, how do you know what to build? Do you discover patterns in the world? Do you research stuff? Do you get new patterns by leveling?
For starters we will simply make all possible recipes and items available right away, so people can try everything quickly. But when there is enough content in the game we will put some of the stuff behind tech requirements, so you will be able to slowly unlock these recipes and blueprints as you progress in the game.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2016, 10:12:52 pm »
Here is some progress :)

(click to enlarge)

As you can see we are pretty much finished with the main menu for now. I think it looks quite decent :)

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2016, 12:17:04 pm »
It looks clean and clear, i think i like it.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2016, 12:26:51 am »
And here is another screenshot!
Cloaked lizard enemy. Looks pretty neat I think :)

(click to enlarge)

For now it just attacks you in melee, but later I want to add ranged attack, such as acid spit or something like that :)

As always - props to our artist :)

Also, just in case you haven't noticed - we've started posting news about the game in our blog. So we will catch up with all that stuff there, and then start posting even more info in the blog and forums at the same time!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2016, 12:31:56 am by Lurler »

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2016, 09:41:04 pm »
I just realized one thing - it looks like I haven't posted the weapon icons yet.

To rectify this injustice here is a detailed blogpost about weapons: https://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1154/CryoFall-DevBlog-2-Weapons

And the image itself:

(click to enlarge)

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2016, 11:45:51 am »
those look nicely detailed!
but I thought this was a sci-fi game so where are my laserguns? :D

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2016, 03:58:01 am »
those look nicely detailed!
but I thought this was a sci-fi game so where are my laserguns? :D
No reason to add these yet :)
We are currently focusing on adding every basic feature, before adding variety.
But there will be plenty of advanced sci-fi-ish boomsticks :)

Next week I will make another post that would cover another topic and add a few more pics. We plan to keep adding blogposts like these every week as we develop the game. And by the time we exhaust things to talk about the game will be ready to play! :)

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2016, 11:16:25 am »
I hope advanced stuff don't simply make previous stuff obsolete. I mean, when i have a laser gun, the pistol should not becomes useless. and not only because of ammo restriction.

A bow can still kill a kevlar armored soldier, even today, if used well, and it produces very little noise.

A laser gun may heats the target and pierces a small and deep hole, but a bullet has more impact and can pushbacks the target.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 21, 2016, 09:35:48 pm »
Certainly not, all weapons will be useful at all times. And even in reality the composite bow is actually MORE powerful than a handgun or even an average rifle. It may not be the most convenient weapon compared to firearms but a good bow can completely obliterate even a big game* if you go hunting IRL :)
*as in "an animal"

So, in the game each weapon will have its niche. Starting weapons are very cheap and ammo is plentiful and easy to produce.
Firearms are very versatile and all around good.
Energy weapons and other exotic weapons are powerful and deal different types of damage compared to conventional weapons, but require exotic and expensive ammo.

So, yeah, there is always a choice what to use! :)

PS - we have also made a new blogpost that talks about armor in the game: https://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1156/CryoFall-DevBlog-3-Armor-Damage-model
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 10:10:19 pm by Lurler »

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2016, 02:23:55 am »

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2016, 09:36:32 am »
looks very sharp, game looks like fun but I wonder how you will differentiate it from other survivals. Will it be more than a gathering sim...

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2016, 10:00:59 pm »
looks very sharp, game looks like fun but I wonder how you will differentiate it from other survivals. Will it be more than a gathering sim...

That's easy. We wouldn't have started that project without something to differentiate us. And there are quite a few things, so let's take a look.

Gameplay:
We have quite a few unique features, which are either not present in other survival/crafting games or present in a rudimentary state.
Some examples of that would be:
* Race selection with each race having completely different gameplay style, so your choice will significantly impact not only your gameplay experience, but also other players.
* City building - we are creating extremely powerful tools to create and manage your own city. Other players will find it beneficial to join your efforts and we could see some really interesting social interactions.
* Story - we will include a very detailed story that you will be able to explore in the game. All story elements will be 100% voiced by professional actors.
* Focus on creation and interactions with other players, rather than simple "raiding" which constitutes 90% of gameplay in quite a few other online survival games. I understand why that's the case, because it makes it easier to implement and balance, but we want to achieve something more.
* Fully persistent worlds handcrafted by us - none of that "procedurally generated" nonsense.
* Servers supporting hundreds of players - our goal is to have 200-300 online on each server at all times. Imagine what can be achieved with such large population on the server. We can see full scale city-on-city wars with players employing high level military hardware such as tanks, bombers, missile launchers, orbital cannons and more. Or we can see massive trade with players transporting resources from far corners of the world by sea (because ships can haul insane amounts of items). Etc. etc. etc.

And many other features. I will go over everything as the game progresses, so make sure to follow our blog :)
Obviously not everything of that is implemented at the moment but we have a very clear development plan with things that we will be adding as the game progresses further in development.

Modding:
We have one of the most powerful modding anyone could ever want. Additionally with our choice of visuals it will be extremely easy to add new visual assets in the game. And I'm not even talking about the code - modders will be able to use the full power of C#.

Visuals:
There are quite a few survival games but they mostly go for 3D FPS view and usually in somewhat serious tone (Rust, DayZ, etc.), there are hardly any serious 2D-top-down survival/crafting games, only Factorio really comes to mind, but it has a completely different focus.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 01:15:20 am by Lurler »

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2016, 12:29:38 am »
Salem, Haven&Hearth, Wild Terra... are topdown 2D/3D multiplayer survival games.

Wayward and a few others i forget their names are solo, topdown 2D/3D survival games.

Many rogue-like offer a survival feeling too, mostly turn based and solo, but often deep and excellent : Cataclysm DDA (unbeaten for me, so many possibilities), Cave of Qud...

One "mistake" from many of them is they focus a lot too much on combat, and the game is basically it : prepare to fight, fight, improve, prepare to fight more, fight bigger stuff, improve, repeat until it's boring.

Cataclysm DDA, or Haven&Hearth for example offer more than combat however. You can farm, explore a meaninfull exploration, build a lot of non-combat related stuff...

I hope you manage to deliver ! (not sure if it's correct english, might be).

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2016, 12:50:15 am »
Yes, we are certainly aware of these games, but they are COMPLETELY different. I'm not saying they are bad, but the gameplay is absolutely different.
Not only in mechanics, but in "feel" as well.

As for having lots of combat or avoiding it entirely - that is the reason we want to give people the ability to build cities. You can buy a plot of land in some big city and be relatively sure that you won't be robbed like you would if you had your house somewhere in the wilderness. You can have your garden there or build another plot and have a factory. That is, if that's the type of gameplay you want. But there are obviously plenty of other options available for you.

And speaking of gardening - this is turning out to be very fun it seems :)
We are currently creating all the necessary assets for it. It will be somewhat like in Rune Factory series :)
So if you want your "happy little farm" it's something you can have in the game for sure.

PS - Also don't forget that this is a Sci-Fi game! Not a medieval fantasy or something :)