Author Topic: Art and Screenshots  (Read 8737 times)

Tchey

• View Profile
Re: Art and Screenshots
« Reply #60 on: September 29, 2016, 12:32:18 am »
Ah, I see what you mean. Well, I guess it does make sense. We will see, maybe we can go back and make some improvements. But for now we would probably focus on adding new content, and then go back to review the existing content at some point. Plus you will have the chance to see that in the game in the mean time.

Yep, i agree.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2016, 03:33:18 am »
Another week and another pic!

You can read more about the technology in CryoFall and production pipelines in our blogpost here: https://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1163/CryoFall-DevBlog-10-Industry

MenschMaschine

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2017, 10:40:44 pm »
When i saw THIS picture...

...i thought about the thickness of the walls.
The first guy from the left, The Nameless One (spooky, eh?)
What happens, if he takes ONE step to the right?

Does his body vanish behind the wall so only his head is seen OR
is he actually unable to move in such a way, because horizontal walls are two squares thick,
where vertical walls are only one square thick and he would have to move one square up and then one square right.

Or otherwise worded, is there 1-square of space -behind- horizontal walls, so one could put a box there or
walk there or is that space also blocked by the horizontal wall even if, as we see at the sliding door,
walls are VISUALLY only one block thick?
No Berries!

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2017, 05:30:58 am »
MenschMaschine,
the spooky one on the screenshot above is Lurler - he made the screenshot from his game client so no nickname is displayed over his head (your character is always at the center of the screen, but this screenshot was cropped).

Regarding the walls - we have our custom physics engine and each object in the game has its own physics setup - there is a physics debugger view:

(black == tiles grid, white == static colliders, green == dynamic (moveable) colliders)

With current physics layout only the player's character legs will be partially hidden by the wall if he stands behind it. He could also stand behind the crate (visually it's 1 tile height but physics is presented as the rectangle collider with a half tile height). Physics is easily customizable (with great precision) so we could make these colliders not so large.

Regards!

UPD. Actually the walls are using placeholder physics layout (each object is 1*1 rectangle collider) and I absolutely forgot about it. It's not easy to properly setup physics layout right now as there are dozens of possible wall permutations and we need to invent some universal system to fit them all.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 07:04:09 am by ai_enabled »

MenschMaschine

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 14, 2017, 01:20:41 am »
That sounds wonderful and pretty neat!

In the example of that guy walking to the spot behind the container,
i think it would look a bit weird, let's see, if i can explain it without going mad.

Basically, the guys feet will be right above the container's static collider,
unseen behind the container's upper half tilegrid. That container is just
half a tile deep, yet visually, because the perspective is not isometric,
it looks like being a full tile deep.
Also the seam between container and lid is a bit difficult to see.

(this would have been much easier with my own screenshot,
where i just could position the guy)

Sidethought:
At the door are two small static colliders, so i guess, the door,
if it closes is NOT animated (yet!?), because if the closing animation
would be... errm animated °grins°, those would have to be dynamic colliders.

OH! I JUST found an error.
Look at the topleft and topright STATIC colliders, the rocks that make the base
of those two walls, are placed/painted way too high, since walls are actually only
half-a-tile high, the rocks that make the fundament should also stop at half-tile
IF the walltile itself is part of any corner.

As the picture shows now, it would look like this from 90° above:

|                     |
|######## |
|#               # |
|#               # |

# = wall
| = small white rocks at base
No Berries!

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 14, 2017, 07:56:24 am »
MenschMaschine, yes, the character can stand behind the container... the 3/4 view/perspective has some weirdness as you've noticed and that's a pretty common issue for most 2D games. Except the games with the complete topdown view, but it will make the game style too simplistic so we rejected this idea early. We wanted to have rich character customization, beautiful buildings, support for multiple height levels - and meanwhile to keep everything 2D as modding for 3D is much harder, and we really wanted to make it very accessible and rewarding... so the selected perspective completely satisfies these requirements.

Of course we will try to improve the art to make it clear when you see a deep object and when you see a high object. Also we plan to implement the dynamic lightning so the game will look much better than these early screenshots, perhaps it will also reduce the depth perplexity.

Regarding the door - actually it's already animated and works properly - we simply replace these two small static colliders with one big when the door is closed. The static colliders are called static simply because they're not expected to move (so we've applied some performance optimizations), but they still could be added and removed at any time.

Regarding the wall art - you're right, the stones should not go that high on the wall corners. Thanks for noticing! I hope we will have all such issues fixed in the closed alpha version. We only need attentive players like you to make that happens!

Regards!

MenschMaschine

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 14, 2017, 08:35:52 am »
"I hope we will have all such issues fixed in the closed alpha version"
Don't! :-)
It would be like Marge Simpson cleaning the house so the newly hired
cleaning guy won't think bad about the state of house before wondering
what to do next, then stealing all the cookies and eating all the dough.

(also, i love your explanation of "static" °smiles°)
No Berries!