Author Topic: CryoFall - General discussion for Closed Alpha Test  (Read 1584 times)

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
CryoFall - General discussion for Closed Alpha Test
« on: January 19, 2017, 05:13:25 am »
The game server is ready.
The game client is available via the GameLauncher application.

Please read CryoFall - Guide for Closed Alpha Test.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 05:15:24 am by Lurler »

Tchey

• View Profile
Re: CryoFall - General discussion for Closed Alpha Test
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2017, 07:51:42 am »
Hi there, i'm on Linux but i can run à Win7 system for this extrem emergency...

Actuallye i cannot... I didn't start my Win7 for more than 2 years, it's completly messy, outdated, unsafe and all... So, i tried under WINE but it's not working. I guess i must pass urtil Linux support then.

/em cries and falls

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2017, 07:57:42 am »
Alas...
But yeah, unfortunately we can't offer linux builds for now.

On the other hand it means we can focus all of our efforts on one platform which makes it a little bit easier and faster.

Ophidios

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 01:21:31 pm »
Some initial thoughts from my first little bit of time playing:

- It would be nice if you could set a crafting device (such as the campfire or the furnace) to automatically select the best recipe for an ingredient (maybe with a checkbox or in Options), that way I could load different food items or different types of ore in the queue and not worry about switching them.
- It would be nice if sub-ingredients of a recipe would automatically craft, if you had the ingredients. For example, to make a stone tool I need a rope, but to get a rope I need fibers, but to get fibers I need plants. If I already have enough of the requisite ingredients (for example, 10 fibers to make a rope), it would be good if I could just craft the stone tool already. Maybe indicate the rope in yellow to show you don't have a rope, but have the necessary ingredients to make one? Also, could be helpful if clicking on the needed ingredient in the crafting menu would take you directly to the recipe for that item.
- I think it would be visually more helpful if the food and water bars emptied the other direction, from left to right. This would have it so that the 4 status bars are full toward the center of the screen but empty toward the edge of the screen.
- It would be nice if the tool-tip for food items showed the amount of hunger and thirst they would restore.
- From the crafting menu, it would be nice if there were a "max" button. I know you can manually type the amount, but sometimes it's easier to just have it automatically use all of a particular ingredient.

More thoughts to come. So far, I'm really digging the potential. The artwork is great, and there's a drastic shortage of sci-fi survival games. Looking forward to keeping up as development continues.

necavi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 09:21:46 pm »
I'm definitely interested in how this game will develop, although so far it is really bugging me that if you zoom out all the way entities only spawn on roughly 2/3rds of the screen, if I'm walking left they'll show on the left hand side, if I'm moving right they'll show on the right hand side.

Separately from that I would like to compliment you on how well it handles 4k, even at this early stage. The UI scales quite well and everything looked perfectly normal. I know of plenty of games developed by significantly larger teams whose interfaces barely work above 1920x1080.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 11:17:00 pm »
@necavi
In regards to 4k displays - unfortunately we didn't have the opportunity to test it as none of us has it :)
But we used our previous experience from VoidExpanse which does fully support 4k.

As for things appearing and disappearing on the screen - that is exactly related to resolution as the game set the visible area too large (beyond what is being loaded from the server). Basically you just see too much with that monitor :) We will address that in the future versions so it scales the world correctly. Hopefully we can also get our hands on some 4k display to allow us to test it :)

@Ophidios
Good news - we already plan to implement most of that.
And the best part - given our current engine and the way our systems allow it all - it's a piece of cake! :)

Samui

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 03:59:02 am »
- It would be nice if sub-ingredients of a recipe would automatically craft, if you had the ingredients. For example, to make a stone tool I need a rope, but to get a rope I need fibers, but to get fibers I need plants. If I already have enough of the requisite ingredients (for example, 10 fibers to make a rope), it would be good if I could just craft the stone tool already. Maybe indicate the rope in yellow to show you don't have a rope, but have the necessary ingredients to make one? Also, could be helpful if clicking on the needed ingredient in the crafting menu would take you directly to the recipe for that item.

I think that auto-crafting is bad idea, but redirecting to needed recipe when you clicking on missing ingredient - must have. Also it will be nice to see some tooltips on hover (which tool and ingredients you need to craft this thing, or, if it byproduct - of which process). There is nice example in Gloria Victis crafting system where you can click on each ingredient and see all recipes that can make it.

- I think it would be visually more helpful if the food and water bars emptied the other direction, from left to right. This would have it so that the 4 status bars are full toward the center of the screen but empty toward the edge of the screen.

Oh, I really hope that it will be implemented only as option, because it can disorient/confuse some people. Current visualisation is really ok for me. But! It will be really good to see hot bar label in icon corner for "bottom quick menu".

- It would be nice if the tool-tip for food items showed the amount of hunger and thirst they would restore.

Yes! =) I think that more detailed tooltips for every item, obviosly, would be added any way, but it is good to remind devs what we want to read there. Like damage for weapons and tools, gathering time, building time e.t.c.

- From the crafting menu, it would be nice if there were a "max" button. I know you can manually type the amount, but sometimes it's easier to just have it automatically use all of a particular ingredient.

YES! YES! YES! Khm... "I know that feel, bro."

More thoughts to come. So far, I'm really digging the potential. The artwork is great, and there's a drastic shortage of sci-fi survival games. Looking forward to keeping up as development continues.

Oh those cute wolfes and lizards, I loved them so much!
I hope i can tame one of them some day =) (Devs, please!)

Ok, now with my own thoughts, or "captain's Obvious feedback".

- We need more enemies, some of them really tuff and dangerous so we really need those guns. May be even pit bosses. May be even armed one's.

- Can't wait for sounds.

- I know that you don't want to add human NPCs, but if we can find somewhere campfire with Vault boy and Stalker (or someone looking simillar in case, you know, copyrights) sitting near and telling jokes/funny stories to each other. I think i'll ask modders for that =)

- Charcoal. In my opinion it is to rare to appear in byproducts. On the second thought, it might be good for balancing, cause everyone with top loot on the second day is not good.

- You 99.99999% know that already, but "Physics warning: extrapolation disabled: cant extrapolate on 0ms" starting to appear in console after ~30 minutes in game can lead to our current lag problem.

- Send my friendly handshake for your artist, he is doing great job so far. Is this is same guy from Odessa?)

- I think we need Willow tree (Верба) that will give player more fibers(or just 90% chance to get them) than usual tree. It may only grow near lakes.

- I really like current wall building system. Will be there something like sentry guns? It will be usefull to protect your base and avatar.

- We need more recipes, like steel knife, assault and sniper rifles, machinegun, e.t.c. May be even add shovel for better sand and clay farming. Also begging you to add some backpacks =)

- I can't understand what is main purpose of knife, because it do less damage then any other tool.

- May be actions like building and gathering must drain some stamina?

- We need ability to add tooltips to our chestbox/crates (wardrobe, ammobox, fuel, e.t.c.)

- I hope you guys will provide assistance to ai_enabled cause this game can be huge in future =)   

- I wonder this rock is decoration or it will give us some resources later?

- My base after couple hours. It may be usefull for balancing.

Game is looking very promising so far.

p.s. sorry for that messy post, i'm in hurry =)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:36:56 am by Lurler »

necavi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 08:24:22 am »
I'd like to throw my hat in on the side of auto-crafting. That is one of my favorite features of the wonderful game Factorio, the ability to craft a huge, complex solar array using just one button is quite wonderful! If I had to go through and manually craft each individual intermediate item it would take hours! Granted, not really an issue with current recipes from what I've seen, but I'm certain that that will be expanded over time.

A few things I've noticed from playing for around an hour:

- I really feel that there needs to be a way to interact with items that are in your inventory without going through the process of putting it on your hotbar and then interacting with it. This is especially useful for items such as food or drink that players may not use frequently enough to leave on their bar but need to interact with somewhat frequently.

- From what I did last night it appears as though players are able to setup 20 crafts of a material in the UI...but (unless I missed something) they are unable to then hit the craft button and have it craft all that it can. In my opinion players should only be able to either setup as many crafts as they actually have the materials for, or be able to hit the craft button when oversetup and have it simply run as many crafts as you have materials for.

- I feel as though there should be either the ability to setup waypoints on the world map, or viewed player constructions should appear on the world map in some form. When starting out I kept feeling uncertain about where my base was, now I have a better understanding of the map but still feel that either of these suggestions would be very useful.

- This is a bit of a big one. Resources were quite frequently spawning right next to me as I was playing, that really seems odd and jarring when it happens, especially since resources like rocks have collision boxes that could interfere with player movement, especially if the player has a high latency.

- Already on the menu but I must say that we really need that social menu! Even just a basic player list would be nice for testing, some ability to know from in the game when players join so we can say hi and make it a bit more social.

This is certainly shaping up to be an interesting game, I can't wait to see how it develops!

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 08:28:36 am »
Great suggestions! I will reply to some points below.

I think that more detailed tooltips for every item, obviosly, would be added any way, but it is good to remind devs what we want to read there. Like damage for weapons and tools, gathering time, building time e.t.c.
Certainly, not even a question! We will have proper tooltips that will provide full information about every item.

Oh those cute wolfes and lizards, I loved them so much!
I hope i can tame one of them some day =) (Devs, please!)
Not gonna lie, it is not a priority at the moment, but eventually we want to have domesticated animals for sure.
Starting with chickens and pigs and maybe more interesting animals like dogs and cats later :)
We will see!
And yes, modders can do that too :)

We need more enemies, some of them really tuff and dangerous so we really need those guns. May be even pit bosses. May be even armed one's.
Certainly!
Currently all enemies are more or less placeholders. They don't have any real AI and custom stats.
We will have a proper mob system in one of the next updates and set up all of the enemies as you'd expect them.
We will also make their loot more varied to add a reason to hunt different animals.

Can't wait for sounds.
Maybe in a month or so :)
It is a priority, though.

I know that you don't want to add human NPCs, but if we can find somewhere campfire with Vault boy and Stalker (or someone looking simillar in case, you know, copyrights) sitting near and telling jokes/funny stories to each other. I think i'll ask modders for that =)
Yes, we will not add human NPCs or other NPCs types. But what we do want to add are different points of interest, ruins, laboratories, caves, etc. And you will be able to find logs from the colonists who lived on this planet before. You will be able to learn the story of the game and learn other interesting things. There won't be a story-mode per se, but we want to give players something to do, and that will be exactly that. These logs will actually make sense and you will be able to learn useful things from them. Like "Uh... that idiot changed his security code to 12345 again! Tell our captain to reprimand him later!" stuff like that may give you hints that can be useful in the game. You can find that door or safe or whatever it is and open with the code.

Charcoal. In my opinion it is to rare to appear in byproducts. On the second thought, it might be good for balancing, cause everyone with top loot on the second day is not good.
We will rebalance it in the coming days (from Monday).
But I'd also like to add that we will include "crucible" that is specifically used to create charcoal much more efficiently than as simple byproduct.

Send my friendly handshake for your artist, he is doing great job so far. Is this is same guy from Odessa?)
Yup, that's the guy! :)

I really like current wall building system. Will be there something like sentry guns? It will be usefull to protect your base and avatar.
Actually it's more complex than you think :) Try building walls that are two layers thick.
As for sentry guns and other defensive structures - certainly!
Also doors will have a menu to disallow outsiders.

Also begging you to add some backpacks =)
What would they do?
Don't tell me they will just increase inventory size :)

I can't understand what is main purpose of knife, because it do less damage then any other tool.
Everything is still unbalanced. Though, IIRC the knife must do a little bit more damage than stone tools. I will check to make sure.

May be actions like building and gathering must drain some stamina?
Yes, it is planned.

We need ability to add tooltips to our chestbox/crates (wardrobe, ammobox, fuel, e.t.c.)
We will have signs, banners, paintings, etc. You will be able to decorate your house and add signs everywhere :)

I wonder this rock is decoration or it will give us some resources later?
This rock is supposed to be a decoration. But looks like people are confusing it with resources. We need to think of something to address that.

My base after couple hours. It may be usefull for balancing.
This looks great actually :)

Game is looking very promising so far.
Thank you :)
We will keep working hard to make the game even more fun!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 08:33:54 am by Lurler »

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 08:50:35 am »
I'd like to throw my hat in on the side of auto-crafting. That is one of my favorite features of the wonderful game Factorio
I played it myself, so yeah, I certainly know what you mean. It is a very neat feature. But as you may imagine there are other things to consider before adding it. Especially with our tech tree that makes each player advancement very different.

I really feel that there needs to be a way to interact with items that are in your inventory without going through the process of putting it on your hotbar and then interacting with it. This is especially useful for items such as food or drink that players may not use frequently enough to leave on their bar but need to interact with somewhat frequently.
Yes. That's what I feel too. We will try to think of some way to make it easier.

From what I did last night it appears as though players are able to setup 20 crafts of a material in the UI...but (unless I missed something) they are unable to then hit the craft button and have it craft all that it can. In my opinion players should only be able to either setup as many crafts as they actually have the materials for, or be able to hit the craft button when oversetup and have it simply run as many crafts as you have materials for.
We will address usability of the crafting UI in one of the next versions. Completely agree with you.

I feel as though there should be either the ability to setup waypoints on the world map, or viewed player constructions should appear on the world map in some form. When starting out I kept feeling uncertain about where my base was, now I have a better understanding of the map but still feel that either of these suggestions would be very useful.
The current map is just a placeholder.
Please remember that it's not even alpha. It is still a prototype/technology-test.
We will implement all of these things eventually.

This is a bit of a big one. Resources were quite frequently spawning right next to me as I was playing, that really seems odd and jarring when it happens, especially since resources like rocks have collision boxes that could interfere with player movement, especially if the player has a high latency.
That shouldn't be the case. We will address that and make sure it doesn't just pop into existence right before the player eyes.

Already on the menu but I must say that we really need that social menu! Even just a basic player list would be nice for testing, some ability to know from in the game when players join so we can say hi and make it a bit more social.
It is in the works now. We will have better chat and social menu that will display current online players. It will be available in one of the next versions.

This is certainly shaping up to be an interesting game, I can't wait to see how it develops!
That's great to hear :)
We have very high expectations for this game as well! :)

Samui

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 11:40:06 am »
We will rebalance it in the coming days (from Monday).
But I'd also like to add that we will include "crucible" that is specifically used to create charcoal much more efficiently than as simple byproduct.

Great to hear it. With current chance Flintlock Pistol and Musket are just complex stick, cause you will not waste your rare charcoal on gunpowder when you need it to get steel ingots.

What would they do?
Don't tell me they will just increase inventory size :)

Why not? =( Also they can contain oxygen for underwater or hazardus locations and, may be, some special containers(ammo, bandages, e.t.c.).

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 03:45:20 pm »
CryoFall Closed Alpha v0.9.0 is just released.
Please update the game client with the GameLauncher application.
We've started a new game server atomictorch.com:6003 (unfortunately no world saves are implemented yet).

Changelist:
  • The network synchronization issue should be resolved.
  • Chat is much improved (display bold nicknames, added timestamps, bigger font, proper scroll-to-bottom on new message, scrollbar added, proper collapse/expand on Enter).
  • Crafting MAX button added (BTW, you can also use Shift+click on plus/minus buttons).
  • Crafting menu will not allow you to enter the crafting count higher than you have resources. It will also automatically limit count when after starting the craft (it will recalculate available resources).
  • Higher rates of dropping charcoal as byproducts from burning logs/planks/twigs.
  • Little more rocks are spawned in the forest biome.
  • Added player character offline marker so you will understand when the player is offline.
  • Now you can open the main menu (ESC) when connecting (useful if you're stuck on connecting).
  • Game version is displayed now in the main menu footer.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 03:49:50 pm by ai_enabled »

necavi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 11:20:25 pm »
Just crashed with this error on 0.9.0:

Critical error.
Please provide the game logs to developers.
Logs folder will be opened automatically when you close this window.

Exception "Noesis.Error+NoesisException": System.Reflection.TargetInvoc ationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
   _____________________________ ________stack trace________________________ _____________

at View.Noesis_View_Update_(view, timeInSeconds)
   at View.Update(timeInSeconds)
   at MonoGameNoesisGUIWrapper.PreR ender(gameTime)
   at CBNDMonoGameApplication.Draw(gameTime)
   at Game.DoDraw(gameTime)
   at Game.Tick()
   at WinFormsGameWindow.RunLoop()
   at Game.Run(runBehavior)
   at CBNDClientLauncher.Launch(isEditor, getServerLoggerProviderFunc)
   at Program.Main()
   _____________________________ _____________________________ ___________________________

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 11:22:49 pm »
necavi, thanks for reporting!
That's a known random crash in the UI library we're using (NoesisGUI), currently it's in the beta state so not everything works as expected but they're working hard on it.

Regards!
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 11:28:57 pm by Lurler »

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2017, 02:00:47 am »
CryoFall Closed Alpha v0.9.0b client is just released.

The game server is not updated, this update is only for the client.
Please install the client update with the GameLauncher application.

Changelist:
  • Network synchronization perfected :-). The interpolation lag should be about 0±17ms if your ping stability is above 90%. It will go much lower only temporary when your ping suddenly jumps. Please post your feedback regarding the network synchronization.
  • Crafting MIN button added.
  • Chat arrow up/down keys press will not produce the loss of the printed text.
  • Server won't allow allow the client to connect if the game version does not match (it will display information message instead).
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:06:46 am by Lurler »