Automatic Mod-Download from the Server

Started by MakaHost, April 05, 2015, 05:23:39 AM

MakaHost

Hey,

as of right now, you have to make sure that you install all the mods a server has by yourself. Having an automated download (either via providing an url in the server-setting that has all .mpk files the server uses or the server providing it from it's own mod-direcotry) would make it easier for Players to play on modded-servers and gives server owners the ability to mod their servers without having to worry about loosing players because they are promted with a "You need mod xyz-0.19 to join this server" trying to enter and aren't able to find it.

ai_enabled

Hello!
We're considering this also. It's already implemented in the Steam version, but it would take a much effort to implement it in the non-Steam version as we doesn't have our own mods repository and fast enough network for that.
But that's possible in the future when the game will become more popular and there are will be a lot of mods.

Regards!

loudent

You don't actually need your own repository. The server itself could be required to host it. The server could just be required to provide an FTP site location and the client, when logging on. goes and grabs them.

I think this is how NWN2 eventually did it.

ai_enabled

Yes we could do it this way. It's not an ideal solution as the server speed may be limited or the other players will notice network lags, but seems to be ok for most servers.
Will consider implementation of this option after patching all reported issues.
Regards!

loudent

Just FYI, it doesn't actually have to be on the server. The FTP location could be anywhere. When I ran a NWN2 play world I hosted the server from a machine in my den, but the auto-downloader was pointed to a location that My friend hosted so there was no noticeable download lag.

Hoodsey

Or you can implement a P2P download. I know a few large games (such as League of Legends, and MechWarrior Online) do this. The server provides, and when a new player connects it would download it from all sources connected to the server. Cuts back on lag, and mods aren't generally large, so it wouldn't take long at all.