World editor

Started by Lurler, January 17, 2017, 02:17:20 AM

Lurler

I just wanted to share some info on the world editor that we recently finished developing for CryoFall. We are currently using it to create a map for closed alpha test.

He are a couple of screenshots:

(click on the image to enlarge)

As you can see it has quite a number of different editing tools. Everything is quite convenient and easy to use.

If you are curious the tools are (left to right):
- Selector tool (select objects, see their info, etc.)
- Terrain tool (edit the actual terrain)
- Object placement tool (allows to place objects into the world)
- Slopes tool (allows to add slopes between different levels of terrain)
- Zone editor tool (allows to specify zones, like forest, monster spawns, loot spawn, etc.)
- Map configuration tool (resize, etc.)
- Macro tool (island generation, etc.)
- World management tool (save, load, etc.)

In anticipation of your question - no, initially we don't plan to release the editor to public. We would like to work on the game more and when we feel that the default map is interesting enough and we have all the necessary things in the game then we will consider releasing the editor to public. But it was obviously developed primarily for the internal purposes.

Editor will be included in the modding tools later, and by the way, the editor itself as a whole is just a mod for the game! This goes to show just how much you can do with modding! We are anticipating really great things from the community with such powerful modding tools and unlimited creativity that you guys have! :)

MenschMaschine

So there will be talking oceans and beachsand that communicates through emotes.

I Love It!

Cannot wait to get my first quest from the duckpond behind my house.

:-P
No Berries!

Lurler

Well, I did that just for fun :)
I don't think adding the smiles onto the map would be a good idea in reality :)

But that small pond there is one of the spawning areas for new players. Right on the beach.

Samui

Quote from: Lurler on January 17, 2017, 02:46:11 AM
Well, I did that just for fun :)
I don't think adding the smiles onto the map would be a good idea in reality :)

But that small pond there is one of the spawning areas for new players. Right on the beach.

May be smiles on map will be really too much, but how about some easter eggs?)
Like debris of some spaceship from VE.

Lurler

Quote from: Samui on January 17, 2017, 05:56:20 AM
May be smiles on map will be really too much, but how about some easter eggs?)
Like debris of some spaceship from VE.
In that case I suggest you try Dinocide (our second game after VoidExpanse) it's full of easter eggs :)
And sure, we plan to add a lot of interesting places to CryoFall. Especially when we add interior locations (e.g. laboratories, caves, etc.). There will be a lot of interesting things to find! :)

Samui

Quote from: Lurler on January 17, 2017, 06:24:57 AM
In that case I suggest you try Dinocide (our second game after VoidExpanse) it's full of easter eggs :)
And sure, we plan to add a lot of interesting places to CryoFall. Especially when we add interior locations (e.g. laboratories, caves, etc.). There will be a lot of interesting things to find! :)

Good to read this =) Can't wait to explore it.

loudent

Very Nice!

I look forward to eventually getting my hands on it!