Game stopped saving!

Started by loudent, April 04, 2015, 10:36:31 AM

loudent

So, I've  been running this game fine until about 40 minutes ago. The game just randomly stopped saving (like literally while in the middle of an autopilot run).

I didn't realize it until I logged back on and was like: "Why am I sitting at this jumpgate and not in the station I logged off in?" I also noticed that some points I had allocated were unallocated. So I flew back to the station, re-allocated the points and logged off again (save and quit). When I logged back on I was in the middle of space again with the points unallocated. I took a look at the save file location. Last save time was ~hour ago. loaded up, saved and quit again. Still no go. I reset the permissions in the directory and even restarted steam. Still. No saving any more.

any ideas?
-Loudent

ai_enabled

Hello!
The saves are located at /Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/VoidExpanse/Saves
There are a few users who also reported similar issue and it seems the antivirus have deleted the savegames after they quit the game, very frustrating (the antivirus is sandboxed the game or something like that, so it clear folder after the quit).

Could you check please that the save is written to the Saves folder when you print "/save" into the chat (without quotes, press Enter)?

You can rename slot_0 to any other name and do save, the folder slot_0 should appears immediately.

Also there is a possibility of server failure and it may be unable to write the savegame. We will add a error message window in the next build for that case, but currently it happens without any notification :(.

Also could you upload all game logs from /Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/VoidExpanse/Logs on Google Drive or Dropbox and provide the link please? Will check what happens on the server when it need to do the savegame.

I'm going offline so I (or Lurler) will answer after 8-10 hours.

Regards!

loudent

Will do. Note: If I load the game, then rename the save slot and use /save it does rewrite the save slot. However, after that it fails to save again. I've tried switching it to other slots but the fail to save persists.

Keep in mind it has been working fine for days until about an hour ago (mid flight)

EDIT: It seems the /save command will save no matter what, but I have to wonder why nothing else is triggering a save.
EDIT2: So I looked at the logs and for some reason the only saves being done automatically (either on timer or save and quit) are being done to the stats.db. So the game CAN save (which is why /sove works) but the event isn't being triggered by anything else. I might restart my entire system but I'm in the middle of some modding.
EDIT3: Ok, I'm getting hit with what I think is some anti-duping protection or something. But If I go to a station and sell of a bunch of assets and forget to manually save, when I load it back up, the items are gone, the money isn't there and I'm back at my last save point.

ai_enabled

loudent, thanks for testing!
Could you upload all game logs from /Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/VoidExpanse/Logs on Google Drive or Dropbox and provide the link please?
We will investigate why the save didn't happens automatically. It should always happens when you quit the game and it works very well for most users.
Regards!

loudent

Yeah, its been working flawless for me then just stopped saving. Still hasn't  although certain things (such as taking or completing missions, seem to successfully save.

Ok, let me find a place to post them

loudent

Ok, here are the logs:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/898rys5fmufolv7/Logs.zip?dl=0

They might look a little crazy I was doing some modding so a lot of starting and stopping. That happened after though. The last automatic file was at 9:43 this morning so you might want to take a look at that particular log

ai_enabled

Thanks for the logs!
It seems auto-saving works normally and the savegame data written without any errors.

Client asks:
4.4.15 12:28:10.9033 [IMP] Auto-save requested

Server do:

4.4.15 12:28:10.9199 [IMP] Saving...
4.4.15 12:28:12.0498 [IMP] Saving: world snapshot ready. Writing it on the disk...
4.4.15 12:28:13.2607 [IMP] World successfully saved to slot_0 (path "C:\Users\Troy\Documents\AtomicTorchStudio\VoidExpanse\Saves\slot_0")

This is very strange as you said the savegame reverting to the previous version. When does it happens? Could you try it now please - load savegame, fly to the closest station, go to main menu and load this savegame. Is it reverted to the previous version of savegame?
If it the latest version, could you quit the game, restart it and load the savegame? Is the savegame reverted to the previous version at this time?

loudent

What you're seeing there is one of the time I used the /save command or got a new station mission (also seems to force a save). I uploaded a logog were I loaded up, flew to another station and saved out. Note: no save either exiting/enter the station nor on the exit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/j68taj4e3td81ru/Log_VoidExpanse_Server_2015-04-04_19-23.log?dl=0

ai_enabled

loudent, do I understand right, that when you quit to the main menu and load the savegame, the progress you have is lost and the previous version of the savegame loaded instead?

I'm asking as we've found that Steam Cloud Saves service sometimes seems to overwrite the players saves with an old versions of these files. But this happens only when you quit. While the VoidExpanse process is running it doesn't happens. We will fix that also, but we need to be sure the issue you're experiencing is not related to Steam Cloud Saves.

loudent

Yes all progress is lost and when I load I'm back at the original location, but it's not something that happens when I exit or when I reload because I was watching the save file the whole time. It simply didn't write to the save file at  all (I think the last log I posted showed no saves).

It wasn't like the save file was updating then, when I loaded it up, steam overwrote it with an earlier version. There was no change. It still has the original date/time/size as when I started.

However, if I use the /save command or take a station mission (might be other triggers) then the save file is updated and my progress is saved.

Again, I'd like to point out that I'd been playing happily for days but at 9:43 this morning was the last time an autosave worked properly. I haven't resent my machine yet so maybe that's something I can try

loudent

yeah, rebooted my machine, loaded up the game undocked flew to another station, docked then did a save and quit

No where in that sequence was any data written to my save file.

loudent

So I shut down steam completely and used the stand alone 1.2.x client I downloaded earlier today and still the same problem which tells me it's not steam, but I'm now at a loss of what it could be. I also started a new game with no mods. problem persists

Space Spoon

Hi there.

I ve bought the game on STEAM at release and i had no issue with the save feature until your last patch. But now the only way to have the game saved at random times is to activate the 5/10/15 min auto-save stuff that i disabled previously and hope for the game to be saved when entering a station or a new system. That's quite of a game breaking stuff  :'(

Here are my log files : https://mega.co.nz/#F!WUQXVIbb!-6WjMj9ljiV2I47U8I5_aA (https://mega.co.nz/#F!WUQXVIbb!-6WjMj9ljiV2I47U8I5_aA).

Also i noticed that you said that some antivirus seem to delete saves. I m using BitDefender Internet Security 2015 and i haven't any report of BitDefender deleting anything in the past few days (i would have had a notification from BitDefender and something in its logs to trace such an event).

Sneak

Hey,

I can confirm that the issue surfaced with the latest patch on Sunday. I can also confirm that the issue also affects my installation on OS X 10.10. So I would count out any involvement of anti virus software. I don't have any on my mac.

Triggering the save command via console works. The game does correctly save. The log correctly shows:

5.4.15 09:03:25.4221 [IMP] Saving...
5.4.15 09:03:27.3450 [IMP] Saving: world snapshot ready. Writing it on the disk...
5.4.15 09:03:28.5108 [IMP] World successfully saved to slot_0 (path "/Users/Sebastian/Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/VoidExpanse/Saves/slot_0")
5.4.15 09:03:28.7700 [IMP] Garbage collection completed: 130,00 MB -> 130,00 MB
5.4.15 09:03:36.2744 [IMP] started undocking routine for NPC Ship Merchant (ID=20786) to -8.71;-287.77
5.4.15 09:03:38.9607 [IMP] Controls enabled for ship NPC Ship Merchant (ID=20786)

When just logging out via menu (save & quit), no saving is triggered. The log ends with:

5.4.15 09:04:04.5459 [IMP] Player ship "Seppl" (ID=19041) ready for physics
5.4.15 09:04:04.5481 [IMP] Player ship "Seppl" (ID=19041) clear scope: was in scope: 1
5.4.15 09:04:12.3781 [IMP] Controls disabled for NPC Ship Merchant (ID=20786)
5.4.15 09:04:12.3789 [IMP] started undocking routine for NPC Ship Merchant (ID=20786) to 2.39;-273.30
5.4.15 09:04:15.0588 [IMP] Ready received
127.0.0.1:60829; 1 Seppl
5.4.15 09:04:15.0607 [IMP] Controls enabled for ship NPC Ship Merchant (ID=20786)

I'm also guessing that the autosave function works. I've been playing on my windows machine yesterday for a little bit on a new game. After quitting and loading again I found myself not quite where I had left, but not right at the start either. This smells like the autosave function was triggered in between and successfully saved the game. If you're interested, I can get the logs for that, as well. 

Just a Mac related side node: You should not put your application data into /Users/<user>/Documents. User specific application data belongs into /Users/<user>/Library/Application Support/<Your Company or Application name>/. :-)

ai_enabled

loudent, thanks for your response. The issue is located and fix is ready. However there are several other issues we're working on, and we need to test it for some time before releasing the patch.
Regards!