Game does not start on debian linux

Started by robo_ats_forum, April 02, 2015, 12:25:24 PM

robo_ats_forum

Hi!

I am trying to run the game on debian/linux, when I try to start it I get the
splash screen (something like a blue circle in the middle of the screen)
and then I am dropped back to steam or desktop (depending on how
I try to start it).

I did try to look in the Player.log, but it does not really tell me anything.
It has some OpenGL information, loading mono assemblies,
resize / fullscreen, controller info, some text about fallback shaders not found...

the last few lines of the Player.log are:
Total system RAM: 7726 MiB
AudioManager: Using ALSA: default
Platform assembly: /home/robo/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/VoidExpanse/VoidExpanse_Data/Managed/Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /home/robo/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/VoidExpanse/VoidExpanse_Data/Managed/System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)

Unloading 42 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1434.
Total: 21.832001 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.087000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.057000 ms MarkObjects: 21.619999 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.066000 ms)

I did read the linux pages and I think I have installed all 32 bit libs that are needed.
Is there any way for me to debug this further?
What more information do I need to provide?

Thanks
/robo

ai_enabled

Hello!
There were a few users on Forums reported they have successfully launched the game on Debian.
We have a wiki page for this issue http://wiki.atomictorch.com/VoidExpanse/Linux_Compatibility
Also please be sure you've installed the latest proprietary driver for GPU.
Regards!

robo_ats_forum

My searches on the forum for debian only shows this thread and
http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=368.msg2334#msg2334.
Do you know what I can search for in order to find other debian users?

As I told you I did try to read the Linux_Compatibility and follow it, but that did not help.
That the linux page also talks about an ubuntu release that is no longer supported makes
me a bit worried about the linux support.

I did try strace, but since I do not know what to look for I find no useful information in the output.

Is there any information that I should supply? Is the information in Player.log or
Log_VoidExpanse_Client_<date>.log helpful to diagnose the error?

Is there any "--debug" or "--verbose" flag that I could use to get more information about
what is causing the crash?

Thanks
/robo

ai_enabled

There are no extra debug flags to get more verbose response.
We've found a one issue which may leads to this. But we need more info about your configuratiion - version of OS, hardware and GPU driver. It seems the game have launch problems on systems with Intel GPUs.

robo_ats_forum

I am running debian unstable 64 bit with intel graphics, so if you have found a problem with intel then that is probably it.

robo@banshee:~$ uname -a
Linux banshee 3.16.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt7-1 (2015-03-01) x86_64 GNU/Linux

robo@banshee:~$ glxinfo |grep -i version
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL core profile version string: 3.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 10.4.2
OpenGL core profile shading language version string: 3.30
OpenGL version string: 3.0 Mesa 10.4.2
OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30
OpenGL ES profile version string: OpenGL ES 3.0 Mesa 10.4.2
OpenGL ES profile shading language version string: OpenGL ES GLSL ES 3.0

X logs this version:
SNA compiled: xserver-xorg-video-intel 2:2.99.914-1~exp1

Anything I missed?

Thanks
/robo

robo_ats_forum

How is it going with playing on intel?

On my different systems (ubuntu and debian) it still crashes directly after
showing the blue ball and setting the mouse cursor.

Currently on 1.2.8, 64 bit system.

Looking at the Player.log I now see:
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/robo/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
Unknown heap type: #GUlD

Unknown heap type: #Blop

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 324260
Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561198166819319 [API loaded no]
ERROR: ld.so: object '/home/robo/.steam/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded (wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS32): ignored.
NoesisError: 0:1(10): error: GLSL 1.40 is not supported. Supported versions are: 1.10, 1.20, 1.30, 1.00 ES, and 3.00 ES
....<some long line, does not look like an error>...
OpenGL:
    Version:  OpenGL 3.0 [3.0 Mesa 10.4.2]
    Renderer: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile
    Vendor:   Intel Open Source Technology Center
    VRAM:     1536 MB
...<long list of extensions> ...
GL: disabling shadows on Intel 9xx (buggy)
GL: disabling framebuffer blit, antialiasing, SRGB on Intel
GL: Detected 1536 MB VRAM
Initialize engine version: 5.0.1f1 (5a2e8fe35a68)
...<Long list of loading .dll> ...
...<Some lines of screen and joystick handling> ...
...<Some other information about "this message is harmless"> ...
Platform assembly: /home/robo/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/VoidExpanse/VoidExpanse_Data/Managed/Mono.Security.dll (this message is harmless)
Platform assembly: /home/robo/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/VoidExpanse/VoidExpanse_Data/Managed/System.Configuration.dll (this message is harmless)

Unloading 42 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 1435.
Total: 31.761002 ms (FindLiveObjects: 0.141000 ms CreateObjectMapping: 0.091000 ms MarkObjects: 31.445000 ms  DeleteObjects: 0.084000 ms)
<END OF FILE>

Not sure why you set LD_PRELOAD, but that seems like a 32/64 bit bug for the gameoverlayrenderer since
I also see that there is a ~/.steam/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so file.

What more information should I provide to help you?

Thanks!
/robo

ai_enabled

robo_ats_forum,
we've improved compatibility with Linux by releasing native 64-bit game version and embedding Mono 3 library. There are still some issues with Intel GPUs, but they're seems to be random and we hope the Unity team will address these issues in the future builds of Unity 5.

It's strange that the game crashing because of gameoverlayrenderer as it usually happens only if Steam running the 32-bit executable on 64-bit system. But it should execute 64-bit executable on your system.

As a workaround you can disable Steam Overlay for the game - right click on it in the library, open properties and toggle off the checkbox "enable in-game overlay".

Regards!

robo_ats_forum

I do not think the gameoverlayrenderer is the cause of the crash, the warning
is about LD_PRELOAD and I get lots of output after it in the log.

I actually had turned overlay off in general steam settings, testing it now it makes
no difference at all if I enable or disable game overlay, globally or just for this game.

I did try a little gdb, but since there are no debugging symbols I mostly ended up in
mono libraries, the most active thread seemed to be doing pulse audio things.

I see the blue thing in the center of the screen, but I hear nothing in the speakers,
is it possible that it is audio that is the problem?

Thanks
/robo

ai_enabled

The audio may lead to this issue. There are no sounds before the Main Menu, but it can freeze during the audio initialization by the game engine.

It seems most of the Linux-related issues are common for Unity game engine. Could you try some other Unity-based games and check if they're works fine for you?