Hulls and textures

Started by Nico, December 01, 2014, 07:07:07 PM

Nico

Hello everyone!

Ive been having a ton of fun "dissecting" this thing and starting to come up with new content. My first trial implementing a new trader ship was a success and I've now moved into new designs.

And this is where I'm getting stuck. I've created several new hulls. I have the objects ready to go, but I'm having a hard time applying textures in-game. Usually I get an all-black ship.

Can anyone be so kind as to give me a hand here on how to bypass this difficulty?

Cheers!

Hammish

If I remember correctly it's issue with the .OBJ format and how the UV layer is applied in your modeling program.  Blender in particular seems to have large issues with it, and I never managed a workaround myself.  Hopefully Flessen can give you some better info on how to fix it up, though, as he's done multiple unique models for the game by this point.

ai_enabled

Hello!
We're using Blender and export to OBJ with this preset:

Also your model need to be properly oriented, to do so you can import any game hull OBJ, and then rotate and align your hull according to it.

Regards!

FlessenGreendart

Yeah, ai_enabled has you covered.
I had the same issue, but checking the "Include Normals" checkbox did the trick.

Hammish

Good for me to know as well, if I ever adventure outside of number/code-land and decide to do more on the art style.  But lots of people around here seem to have that covered. :)

Though, Flessen, I have a gift coming up for you once we have a stable steam candidate: I actually finally worked up some of those custom muzzle flashes, so both the dual turret and the artillery turret have some decent effects to go with them.  The dual turret in particular ended up looking really nice, since I always make it a two-shot combo of some sort and thus allow for a different left and right animation... as well as making the projectiles and the trails appear to come from the proper barrel as well.

FlessenGreendart

Brilliant! I look forward to seeing how that's come out  :)