Author Topic: CryoFall - Visual effects research (VFX)  (Read 288 times)

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
CryoFall - Visual effects research (VFX)
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:28:24 pm »
So, as I already mentioned in our blog ( https://atomictorch.com/ ) we are currently finishing all the remaining tasks to make the game publicly available for everyone to try. And the most important thing remaining is the visual effects system which we haven't finished yet.

Now, the reason I created this post is because I want to hear your opinion on the matter as well.

So, here's what we want to have in the game in terms of VFX.

* Ambient occlusion / Shadow maps - Is a system to create shadows and make otherwise simple 2d visuals look like there's more depth. We plan to add shadow maps for all game objects so the game engine knows what shape the shadow has to be. Plus use a shader that will create artificial shadow/light scattering around the edges and add additional darkness around objects where it makes sense.

* Tone mapping / Color grading - will be used in conjunction with day/night cycle to create more realistic visuals. For example more blue-ish colors at night and red-ish at dawn and dusk.

* Vignetting - This is quite simple and cool effect which we would like to use for certain events such as taking damage and such. You know, when you are hit the edges of the screen glow red.

* Chromatic aberrations - Usually I don't like this effect in games because it's used in completely uncalled ways, but when the situation makes sense, I think it looks quite cool. We will most likely use it for psi fields (to distort the visuals).

* Neon glow - This one is also quite simple and there are a lot of interesting situations where effect such as that would be cool.

* Bloom - Now, this is one of the most useless effect in AAA titles that I've ever seen. And it just makes the game look like junk. But why? Well, the reason is very simple - there's just TOO MUCH of it in a typical game. Still, if added just a tiny bit it makes otherwise bland image look more vivid! So, everything is good in moderation!

* Grain + monochrome - This is the "standard" way to display radiation effect and we won't be reinventing the wheel here :)

Well, that's more or less it.

But what do you think?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:43:10 pm by Lurler »

Tchey

• View Profile
Re: CryoFall - Visual effects research (VFX)
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 03:57:16 am »
I don't know much about it. I know however that i almost always cut the bloom off, in all games i can. Also, moction blur, and other things that actually negate my abilities to read the screen. I don't like shiny, i'm more a raw wood and brut stone guy...

ai_enabled

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
Re: CryoFall - Visual effects research (VFX)
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 04:14:11 am »
Tchey, we too, honestly.
Most of the post-effects we want to implement will improve the visual feedback of the game. When you receive serious damage or accumulating radiation it will be much more obvious than the simple status effects icons in the corner of the screen, and much more immersive too.
Most of these effects will be configurable (by the way, we recently finished the options system and menu, adding new options is very easy).
Though, some of the post effects will be forced (such as color grading for day-night cycle; I think everyone will agree it's not really good when the (vanilla) game allows to "turn of the night" in the options). But still, the modders are free to customize the existing post effects and even implement their own (yes, everything is implemented in the scriptable part of the game, including shaders code!). So we can expect a lot of crazy stuff and customization for every kind of player.
Regards!