What Makes it Different?

Started by GorillaOne, April 02, 2014, 10:41:05 AM

GorillaOne

So beyond being a graphical update, and a generated universe, what is it that makes Void Expanse different than the Escape Velocity progenitors and all the other space themed games coming out these days? Any unique features?

-GorillaOne

Lurler

There are quite a few. First of all we wanted to make this game as big and reach in features as humanly possible. We took the best ideas from a number of classic games in this genre as well as adding a lot of our unique ideas. As a result VoidExpanse is a very deep world where you have a lot of freedoms to progress in different paths.

But at the same time it is only an alpha version and a lot of what is planned is still not implemented. We will continue working on the game the game to make it even more awesome!

Jax43

I just got the game today. Looks very interesting, I was wondering if there is any tips or guides for new players? Thank you:)
I'm a very strong advocate for Indie Developers and providing marketing that is needed
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jax3

Lurler

Quote from: Jax43 on April 02, 2014, 11:06:11 PM
I just got the game today. Looks very interesting, I was wondering if there is any tips or guides for new players? Thank you:)
Not at the moment :) To be honest while working on the game we didn't even think of writing a guide.
But maybe you can create one?
Or if you have any questions feel free to ask on the forums! I will try to help.

Jax43

Sure I can help out with that, as I play and learn how things work I will put together a guide for beginners :-)
I'm a very strong advocate for Indie Developers and providing marketing that is needed
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jax3

Lurler

Quote from: Jax43 on April 03, 2014, 04:23:35 AM
Sure I can help out with that, as I play and learn how things work I will put together a guide for beginners :-)
Great! You could post it as is, or you could join our wiki (http://wiki.atomictorch.com/index.php?title=Main_Page) and post it as a wiki article!

GorillaOne

So, not to hammer the nail too hard, that response doesn't really tell me anything. It will have a lot of features, and great gameplay. A developer could say that about any game under development. From the screenshots I see ship equipment, skill-trees, character customization, both a universe and a solar-system map (with that last one being a bit interesting if it implies large expanses of local space). Fun stuff, but nothing that hasn't been done before. What is going to make Void Expanse stand out? What are some specific features which you are implementing differently than the norm, or that are entirely new in this context?

DLirry

Quote from: GorillaOne on April 04, 2014, 09:21:59 PM
Fun stuff, but nothing that hasn't been done before. What is going to make Void Expanse stand out? What are some specific features which you are implementing differently than the norm, or that are entirely new in this context?
Well, one of the key features of our game is a unique dialog system and story. We are creating not just a hack'n'slash in space, but an adventure in a unique world with unique experience.
From the screenshots I see ship equipment, skill-trees, character customization, both a universe and a solar-system map (with that last one being a bit interesting if it implies large expanses of local space)
You've listed most of interfaces of our game. But game is so much more then just interfaces!
Our game is about deep sandbox/roleplay mechanics, which allows you not only to fly around and kill things, but also take peaceful and neutral roles, like trader, negotiator, scout; hire mercenaries, build, craft, survive and conquer.
Also we wanted to add a little bit of adventure/exploration spirit, which is also a unique thing for such kind of games.
Doubting yourself is the only path to perfection