Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Development discussion / First run report
« Last post by FlessenGreendart on Today at 04:21:44 am »
So, I've had a bit of  a play, I'm enjoying it so far.
Seems like you've toughened up the mobs, and upped their quantity, so a few false starts  :P

My observations so far:

I died, I clicked respawn and nothing happened - had to log out and back in. only happened a couple of times, but a nuisance, obviously.

So far the customisation is good, and I'm guessing it's still being worked on, but I would like to request hair & skin colours.

when leaving server & rejoining the map discovery (or FOW) is reset.

I got into a rough fight with a boar, and had to run away. I took cover in my pathetically tiny hut, and got killed through my wall... perhaps a shorter attack range?

After said boar attack, I respawned in my bed and couldn't interact with anything, whether it was picking up my dropped items, looting a crate or harvesting berries.
The left click to attack seemed to work.

Joining a server you are already on crashes the game, and throws an error message at you.

Here are my logs from today:
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/terxss2y0prm5ci/AACV955LxjYDG4k2Cc7DxPqKa?dl=0
Development discussion / Re: CF test report by Ophidios
« Last post by Lurler on Today at 03:48:22 am »
I didn't play yet (Linux), but about the last part with furnace and recipe, what about ONLY apply recipe, and then the furnace auto-fill from your inventory ?
Sorry, but it goes against everything so far in the game. There's a small buffer for items in each autocrafter and it it takes items automatically it will be a problem.
All other crafting obviously takes items directly from your inventory. Just not autocrafters.
« Last post by Tchey on Today at 03:35:56 am »
I didn't play yet (Linux), but about the last part with furnace and recipe, what about ONLY apply recipe, and then the furnace auto-fill from your inventory ?
« Last post by Lurler on Yesterday at 11:47:22 pm »
I moved your post into a separate topic.

Also, since it is mostly gameplay related things I want to give my replies (rather than just adding it our bug tracker like with the bugs), so other players can read it too.

First of all, it looks and feels much better than the last time I played it! Definitely legitimately feels like the game has come a long way.
Thank you!
Although, the more we work on the game the more it seems there is still left to do :)

My first real big thought is that it takes a long time for the player to reach a stable point.
Yes, it is something I have also noticed myself. And something I want to address.
The simplest and most obvious solution would be to reduce the price of the walls to make building early base easier, but it has many negative consequences, including potential for griefing (such as placing walls everywhere on the map to block people's paths or next to some entrances, etc.).
We will consider some other ideas as well.
But if you have some specific solution in mind - please let us know!

And since I can't regain materials by disassembling things, in the early game I effectively need to have *at minimum* a furnace, campfire, bedroll, and workbench. Just trying to assemble walls and a door to protect these few things takes a lot more time than can be casually dedicated.
Well, I would consider the furnace to be the second stage of development, so it's really not necessary for the basic base.

And second critically important nuance - is that you usually don't need to protect your crafting stations. There is no reason for anyone to destroy them other than for griefing purposes.
So you could build a tiny hut with a few chests and a sleeping bag. Then surround that by a wall. Then build your crafting stations around it and THEN surround it by a second wall. So far this seems to me like the most reasonable approach given the current mechanics.

If I had 8 hours today to dedicate to this, I'd probably be okay. Unlike a game like Minecraft, where you can hide what you're working on by digging into the ground, all our stuff is out in the open here.
True. But at the same time unlike minecraft you can't see past the edges of the screen so you can't spot people's bases from far away. And given that we will be expanding the map even more the chance to find people's bases if they are hidden in some far away corner of the map will be even less. So I think it balances out pretty decently.
But we will obviously need to keep testing the game and seeing how players behave to better decide on different approaches regarding the matter above.

As I mentioned previously, it would be nice to have some materials recovered by destroying an existing structure. This wouldn't make it such a big deal to rearrange things or relocate objects.
Getting resources from destroyed entities is certainly coming. As for rearranging or relocating things - not any time soon, but we have some ideas in mind. At least allowing you to disassemble your constructions if they are inside the protected "house zone".

Also, it would be nice if furnaces/stoves would just automatically produce whatever the product of the ingredients is, without having to apply a recipe.
Alas, but it's not possible. Since the same resources could be used for different products. Say you wanted to craft clay bricks but then got bunch of ceramic pots or something because the game guessed the recipe incorrectly. Also, I think it is just a matter of habit, and will be perfectly fine once you get used to it.

Also, a few other issues like the map, etc., please see this topic: http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=957.0
Development discussion / Re: Closed Alpha Test #2 B-Log
« Last post by Lurler on Yesterday at 11:34:52 pm »
Thank you for such a detailed review and report here!

I have compiled the issues that you reported here:
http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=957.0
It also includes things that other players have reported.

Me and ai_enabled also went through and discussed all of your suggestions too :)

Some of that will be implemented in the next couple of days and tried within this test!

Development discussion / Known issues as (of CF closed test 2)
« Last post by Lurler on Yesterday at 11:20:43 pm »
In this topic I will try to compile a list of all reported issues.
Just to help us make sense of it and so people don't have to report the same thing twice.

Bugs / issues:
* Can't repair walls
* When crafting many items (250 planks as an example) lag increases - this is because the game sends update for each individual item crafted. It will be addressed shortly.
* Respawning does not seem to work always. One ends up in the screen where one can choose between respawning and respawning at their own bed. Clicking any of those buttons does not anything. One has to log out and in again. This seems to be related to lag.

Requires investigation:
Those are the things we haven't confirmed yet and we will need to investigate more to see what is up.
* The chat window stays open after login and never closes automatically, as it does when opened manually
* I got into a rough fight with a boar, and had to run away. I took cover in my pathetically tiny hut, and got killed through my wall... perhaps a shorter attack range? - hm, that is a strange one. IIRC the mobs are casting a ray when they attack. So if there's some wall between the enemy and the player it should block the attack... Either way we will investigate. Ah, and yes, the enemies still don't have a proper AI. It will be implemented in the next version.
* After said boar attack, I respawned in my bed and couldn't interact with anything, whether it was picking up my dropped items, looting a crate or harvesting berries.
The left click to attack seemed to work.
- Another strange one... We will have to look through the logs to see if there are any clues... but it could also be related to connection issues.
* Joining a server you are already on crashes the game, and throws an error message at you. - can't even imagine how that could happen. Will investigate!

Known NON issues:
These are the things we know and that are not bugs or issues. Most of those things are simply not implemented yet or implemented in a way that will be changed later.
* The opened area on the map is not saved and reset after login (and other issues related to the map) - yes, we simply haven't worked on the map at all. It will be implemented later for the next closed test. Current map system is just a placeholder.
* After closing the crafting window, the selected object reverts to the first one in the list - same here, the crafting interface is not final and will be reworked later.
* If you have lag higher than 200ms or so the movement seems like on ice - yes, that's because there is still no local prediction/processing of input, etc. It will be added in the next version.
Development discussion / CF test report by Ophidios
« Last post by Ophidios on Yesterday at 11:11:36 am »
So, after playing for a few hours today, I do have some initial early thoughts. First of all, it looks and feels much better than the last time I played it! Definitely legitimately feels like the game has come a long way.

My first real big thought is that it takes a long time for the player to reach a stable point. By that, what I mean is for the player to be able to safely (or at least semi-safely) log out without fear of having stuff destroyed, ganked, etc. I played for a few hours this morning, and just to get into a state where I have some form of storage to put excess in was a lot of effort, let alone trying to setup walls and a door. And since I can't regain materials by disassembling things, in the early game I effectively need to have *at minimum* a furnace, campfire, bedroll, and workbench. Just trying to assemble walls and a door to protect these few things takes a lot more time than can be casually dedicated.

And by the time I quit playing today, I already had an armorer's and weaponmaking bench as well. This requires a larger amount of space, which then also requires more walls to try and safely protect these things. And since I was acquiring more materials than I could carry, I also needed a storage box as well. Trying to grind up to the needed materials to build all this stuff, just to start attempting to mass produce walls - it's all very time consuming at an early phase.

If I had 8 hours today to dedicate to this, I'd probably be okay. Unlike a game like Minecraft, where you can hide what you're working on by digging into the ground, all our stuff is out in the open here.

A few other technical thoughts - it would be nice if the map would center on the player when you open it, but instead it opens to the same location it was in the last time you had it open. So if I walk a decent clip from where I was the last time I opened the map, I don't see myself on it any longer. Would also be nice if the map state were persistent between log-ins, but I'm sure that's something that's being worked on.

As I mentioned previously, it would be nice to have some materials recovered by destroying an existing structure. This wouldn't make it such a big deal to rearrange things or relocate objects.

Also, it would be nice if furnaces/stoves would just automatically produce whatever the product of the ingredients is, without having to apply a recipe. It would be better if it would just do nothing if the ingredients don't match any known recipe. I've lost track of how many times I took our my Iron Ore, put in some Copper Ore, and ran off (forgetting to tap the Apply Recipe button), and came back to find nothing had happened. I'm not sure I see what the advantage of having the button is, and it results in extra clicks by the player with no benefit.
Development discussion / Closed Alpha Test #2 B-Log
« Last post by MenschMaschine on Yesterday at 06:29:06 am »
Greetings, this is a compilation of a few things i have noticed, one might describe it as a alpha test (b)log.

I will refer to any -weird- things that happen as "bug", even if it is just a missing feature.
Obviously things that are not supposed to be there yet will not fall into that category. (like vehicles)
It's just easier to refer to -all- them as bugs than to differentiate between bugs, problems, glitches, errors, etc.

The numbering is merely for reference, so others can easily point towards them. It does not signal importance.
I probably also will list things that only to me personally seem important, within the scope of gamedevelopment and alphatesting.
That is not to be misunderstood as lecturing or somesuch lunacy.

I feel that the following two things should be... wait... i meant that I feel that the following THREE things should be implemented
as soon as possible (not in 6 months when the next test might happen) as they will help us testers to test the alpha and help the developers
to understand us better and fix things.

I like to add that working within a timelimit for the closed alpha (i am guessing a week before the server gets shut down again) is
not very efficient. I do not say that this is the case here, but we -all- know what happens when games are rushed in production.

A. The loglevel setting could be set to -INFO- (at least) as a default setting, after all, this is a test.
   Better yet would be a setting for that in the options, so people can switch to -DEBUG- when
   a bug needs to be investigated and back to -ERROR- or so when the bug has been reported and the log uploaded.
   (correction: I switched to -DEBUG- and almost got a seizure when i looked at the logs 1,2 hours later, i of course expected them to be big,
   but not -that- big... 150 Mb... °grins°)

B. The chat could be logged into a textfile so people can copy things that they said there and post it in the forum for testing-purposes.
   It is much easier that way than to create or edit a thread or post for every minor, small, tiny issue one discovers.
   (Minor bug: the chatwindow, -stays open- after login and never closes automatically, as it does when opened manually.)

C. I respawned at my house, pressed enter twice fast to dismiss the chatwindow, then my wooden crate simply vanished.
   Having played for 4 hours it was pretty full with tons of stuff, and having lost it for no apparent reason was quite the showstopper.
   The -real- problem however with such misbehavour is that basically, it is useless to play (or playtest) then,
   as such might occur at ANY time again and although playtesting should be more testing than playing, it also should be fun.
   Especially if one wants to test things that are further down the line of research or production, one needs to store stuff for the future.
   Should this bug be too problematic to hunt down or fix, a quick solution would be to enable players to respawn with all their items,
   so resources can be stored in the playerinventory, it is not an ideal solution, since there then only can be one "crate" instead of being
   able to built many, but it is much better than to lose everything. I consider this bug to be severe, even though it might happen not so often,
   because WHEN it happens, it has very serious consequences. Another thing that may help with such problems might be some sort of godmode
   or creative mode, so one can quickly produce the means of testing highly advanced things without having to harvest half the map.
   That though might also ruin the fun of playtesting and result in a more work-like experience °winks°

Onward to the "little" things...

1. The state of the map is not stored, so if we log out, everything that once was explored is hidden again.

2. After closing the crafting window, the selected object reverts to the first one in the list,
   so if i want to check on something quickly, i always have to search and reselect.

3. All windows should be moveable, so we can see ourselves while cooking as an example.
   More importantly, when being attacked.

4. When producing many items (250 planks as an example) lag seems to increase, or in other words,
   if i have a ping of 250 ms and produce 250 planks, other things i try to do while the planks are made can lag behind very much.

5. Respawning does not seem to work always. One ends up in the screenwhere one can choose between respawning and respawning at their own
   bed. Clicking any of those buttons does not anything. One has to log out and in again. This seems to be related to lag.

Note 1: Although with a lag of 200ms and higher (i am located in europe and played for 2-3 hours at such lag) things get a bit difficult
           (combat is very difficult), i never noticed something missing, even when i made 250 planks, they all got created, all clicks that result in some action
           were successfully queued and resolved, even if it took a while. Very good! :)

Note 2: It would be useful if every tester opens his or her own thread (there's not -that- many anyways :( ), instead of everyone crissross-writing in everybody elses.
           That way, it can be structured betterly and the developers won't get mixed up in arguements or lost within the testers report because it gets filled with other
           testers findings (or, in the worst case misunderstanding and overtaking) For general discussion http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=952.0
           still could be used maybe.
Development discussion / Re: CryoFall - Closed Alpha Test 2
« Last post by ai_enabled on Yesterday at 02:46:11 am »
MenschMaschine, I'm glad the game works good for you now. Looking forward for your feedback!

Everyone, I hope you will find time to play (and likely enjoy!) the game. A lot of work has been done during the last six months and we need your feedback to select the areas which we need to improve/polish and the new features to implement for the next milestone. As there are only a dozen of alpha-testers, every opinion matters and we will pay maximum attention to your feedback.

Regards!
Development discussion / Re: CryoFall - Closed Alpha Test 2
« Last post by MenschMaschine on June 24, 2017, 06:54:33 am »
Yup, as you said, it was a .net issue.
Okay, i had to install Windows6.1-KB4019990-x64.msu from http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=848158
first, because
"The .NET Framework 4.7 on Windows 7 SP1, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 and Windows Server 2012 has a new dependency on a %windir%\system32\D3DCompiler_47.dll file for WPF. It's required to be installed first before the .NET Framework 4.7 product can be installed. "

Now it works and i am ingame :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10