More deep and advanced modding API needed!

Started by WarStalkeR, April 07, 2015, 09:05:50 AM

WarStalkeR

Hello dear AtomicTorch developers,

I've started modding VoidExpanse and already encountered some restrictions, so I will list here, what currently missing in modding API:
  • API implementations for changing UI. Important to make 10 weapon capital ships.
  • API implementations for adding new types of weapon.
  • API implementations for adding new skills and integrating them in to skill tree.
  • API implementations for adding new damage types.
  • API implementations for adding shields with different resistance types to counter different damage types.
  • API implementations for adding new equipment slots to ships.
  • A lot more to list, when I will finish trying various modding possibilities in VoidExpanse...

Hammish

So far as I know from what was said in the past, UI modifications are forever out of play because they're handled by a different package inside the core engine.

New straight types of weapons I don't think they have the API for, but you can get creative with the existing classifications like in my mod BTC; you can put custom effects types on specific hulls to enable a new weapon 'subclass'.  For mine the major example is on the missile hardpoints.  Some ships are able to equip straight, old-fashioned missile weapons while others are carriers and have those hardpoints converted to fighter bays; they can no longer use missiles or rockets but instead launch strike craft.

New skills (and effects/qualifications) are already possible in the game and easily done.  BTC as an example, again, has a 100% custom skilltree and uses none of the vanilla skills.  You just need to manage the effects area first, then set up new skills to grant those effects, then establish a hierarchy for the skills (what comes before each in the skill tree).  The GUI will then handle interpreting the hierarchy and produce a tree.

Damage types and shield resistances I'm not sure on, but it would be quite cool. :)

WarStalkeR

Quote from: Hammish on April 07, 2015, 09:41:14 PM
So far as I know from what was said in the past, UI modifications are forever out of play because they're handled by a different package inside the core engine.
Then they need to make an dynamic GUI, which will allow to use more then 5 weapons on the ship. Also, assigning only 3 mouse buttons for weapons is not enough in case with capital ships, any free unused "key" should be assignable for weapons. There also will be need in the group management for weapons and possibility to switch to automatic mode any of the weapons group and force it manually to fire.

New skills (and effects/qualifications) are already possible in the game and easily done.  BTC as an example, again, has a 100% custom skilltree and uses none of the vanilla skills.  You just need to manage the effects area first, then set up new skills to grant those effects, then establish a hierarchy for the skills (what comes before each in the skill tree).  The GUI will then handle interpreting the hierarchy and produce a tree.
Thanks. I've just placed my new skills in to different folder and they weren't processed. Now I've put them in to right folder :)

Also, for some reason I can't change engine's trails' color in ship's xml file. Any ideas? Found. Trail's color affected by engine ಠ_ಠ

WarStalkeR

New straight types of weapons I don't think they have the API for, but you can get creative with the existing classifications like in my mod BTC; you can put custom effects types on specific hulls to enable a new weapon 'subclass'.  For mine the major example is on the missile hardpoints.  Some ships are able to equip straight, old-fashioned missile weapons while others are carriers and have those hardpoints converted to fighter bays; they can no longer use missiles or rockets but instead launch strike craft.
This is certainly great idea (I've looked through your mod and you've implemented it really great), but I want to add weapon groups, which will allow to equip two types of weapon of different weapons or even omnipotent slots, which can mount any weapon type or even external equipment.

I also want to make dedicated slots for armor or add multiple slots for shields, reactors and engines, because if we are speaking about huge ships like dreadnoughts, which should have multiple reactors, shield arrays, radar arrays and multiple layers of armor - it is legit.

I also want to add weapons to stations and make them destructible and constructible (theoretically it is possible to make via consumable item).

Hammish

Constructable stations, if I recall, were something they were going to look into if sales go well and they can continue development.  :)

As to some of the rest, I actually agree.  Omni slots in particular I'd love to see.  I suppose I just try to be realistic about what they're all able to implement as a smaller developer and try to find creative ways to work within in the system as I can.  Always nice to have a wish list, though!

One way I'm looking into making capital ships, BTW, is through Capital Turrets.  While we may not be able to put on more that four weapons currently, there's nothing limiting us from making turrets that are limited to larger chassis through a hull effect and then sticking 2-3 regular-size guns on that turret.  If you play with hardpoint sizes you can even work in a mix of capital weapons and support weapons much like you might see on current blue-water warships; if you take a look at the Zeus Capital (ZEUS-XX) in BTC it's rigged up that way with capital weapons enabled but turret sizes of 2 medium (support lasers) and 1 large (underslung spinal-mount ballistic for the massive rail cannon).

Looking at the turret model in there named dualbox is a good indicator of how this can be done, too.  A few patches back AT was nice to us modders and allowed us to set the original point for projectiles and muzzle flash so that true multi-weapon turrets are very possible.  A few of my weapons actually make use of it and have the appearance of alternating between left-right fire using that model.

Anyway!  Didn't mean to derail the thread, either.  Just figured I'd give some suggestions/ideas to think on for the stuff you wanted to do while we continue to hope for the pie-in-the-sky stuff. :D

Strmy

i think constructing station is possible with api..

WarStalkeR

Quote from: Strmy on April 08, 2015, 11:48:29 AM
i think constructing station is possible with api..
Generate it via script - yeah, it's possible. But actually construct it, equip it and install additional modules - nope.

I also hope to see research and manufacturing in game.

Anyway, this game has all chances to get to the level of EVE Online in top-down mode with action combat.

Hammish

Totally agreed on R&D as well. :)  I know modding/upgrading was also on the slate for post-release if it does well, and it seems to be thus far.  Decent reviews, hopefully those are translating to good sales numbers for 'em. :)

WarStalkeR

Also, IMO, devs should switch to Coherent UI, which is easily moddable and accessible and don't have restrictions...