Color blind mode feedback

Started by ai_enabled, April 02, 2015, 04:18:53 AM

ai_enabled

VoidExpanse v1.1.8 introduced the color blind modes. The options is described in our blog (http://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1103).
Please feel free to post your feedback here.

FlessenGreendart

I have to admit that I'm really happy to hear about this. Being colourblind myself, I've noticed that it doesn't get addressed very often at all.
Thanks for considering it  ;D

Lurler

Yeah, we didn't even know that it is such a common occurence, otherwise we would have added that ages ago!

Does that mode help? Did we do it right? :)

FlessenGreendart

Well I can't speak for all types of colour blindness, but I do find it helpful. I have moderate Deuteranopia, so the Tritanopia option looks pretty trippy to me  :D

The only problem for me is that I've been playing VE for so long, that with the colour corrections it looks weird, but the alternative shapes option works a charm too.

I haven't come across one in this playthrough yet, but I used to have troubles trying to find the alien artifact chests on the map, because to me they looked very similar to the merchants, so I look forward to seeing if that's been altered :)

Lurler

I see. Thank you for the detailed info :)
And if there are any other issues related to that - please let us know, we can incorporate additional changes if needed.

Dayshine

Hi, thought I'd give feedback as I really appreciate it when games implement these features :) I have moderate Deuteranopia, but my monitor is dimmer than most which might affect things too.

The shapes are great, and the minimap is very very nice in both Alternative shapes only and with Deuteranopia.

The two issues I have both only really apply to the system map. The first is that the hidden chests hide well inside the yellow enemies, and stand out much more against red dots and diamonds. The second is that in every colourset enemies and asteroid have a... similar shade. It's hard to describe but enemies don't stand out like they do on the minimap so when I check the map quickly to see if it's safe in front of me I often miss ships near asteroids.

I suspect it might be to do with the fairly pastel(?) colours. Bright, shiny, green is often easier to distinguish from brown than dull, flat, green, although friendly ships are the only dots which makes that easy enough.

ai_enabled

Thanks for the feedback.
We will implement alternative colors for these objects in the next build.
Regards!