Server - autoupdate functionality

Started by kyokei, August 18, 2014, 05:43:28 AM

kyokei

Hi,

I brought this topic up in some messages I sent to AI but I thought I would make a post out of it also.
One of the major pains at the moment is to update the server version, even more if your server does not have a GUI :).

I would love the idea to have an autoupdate functionality which you can put as an argument when you launch the server.
This functionality would then search for updates every ?hour? and then if one is found it would then update and restart the server.

Added to this it would be great to be able to run the server with an argument that it says to load the Multiplayer_save 0. This way people will be able to build in an auto-restart functionality for if the server crashes. At this moment I could do that but then it would be stuck at the "new or load" screen.

Another idea I just had is to maybe have a server administration webpage which can be access locally. Here you can see the players that are online, you can kick/ban users, whitelist people, chat with the players and restart the server.

Another idea which I have already posted but just want to say again is to show all server available in the server browser and add a "public / private" tag in the ServerSettings file to make it visible or not.

Anything to make running a server easier is really appreciated :D

Lurler

Good idea actually, about the command line argument for launching the sever with a particular save slot.
Added to our todo list!

kyokei

Now that you guys are greenlit - maybe it's a possibilty to check about migrating the server part to steamcmd?

Lurler

It isn't that simple :)
We do plan to implement a lot of steam features but it takes time. It even takes time for us to learn what's even viable in the first place.
So, hold your horses for now :) We will investigate possible things and let everyone know :)

kyokei

Quote from: Lurler on September 09, 2014, 04:10:42 AM
It isn't that simpl :)
We do plan to implement a lot of steam features but it takes time. It even takes time for us to learn what's even viable in the first place.
So, hold your horses for now :) We will investigate possible things and let everyone know :)
Sorrrrry just really excited :) and this is the perfect solution for an autoupdate functionality :D