Breaching the Core Full Mod Discussion

Started by Hammish, June 27, 2014, 10:11:17 AM

Lurler

Looks very promising :)
Keep up the good work!

Hammish

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txfe5a4zw1rcitl/btc099.zip?dl=0

Quick update here.  A few item fixes, some playing around with pulse lasers (more before the 1.0 release, still not happy with either version), some changes to various hybrid weapons (carrier drones are now hybrids and require the advanced tech, and hybrid weapons in general are more potent because they require a lot more skill points invested to use.  The Dionysus and Artemis hulls are now fixed as well, and the Hera and Poseidon (carrier and tanking hull) are now in with all relevant models.

Just needs bug checking and balance testing, now, and it will be ready for full public release.  1.0 will also have the uptech equipment like better shields/engines/ect, I have already playtested this locally.

Samui

Good mod, gives more action to gameplay.
1. Reworked weapons looks good, even almost OP ;) But hybrid one's need some power up (range, speed), I think, but  I may be wrong.
2. Vanilla weapons from tyre 2 still need energy/ballistick/rocket skills to equip. Must be changed to medium and large turrets skill. Otherwise your skill tree looking good.
3. I cant find any mk2 generators, am I blind?;)
4. Need more ships!(WC3 Alcolyte voice)
5. Cheater must be renamed to Scrooge Mcduck(just kidding) ;)
6. It will be good if we can run this mod on some server for PvP and Coop test.

Hammish

Which vanilla weapons are showing up in your game?  They should all be disabled, but I might have missed one, or it possible came off pirate loot (which will be changing fairly soon, anyway)

And no, you're not blind. :)  I was waiting on a bit of feedback from people before tossing up the final 1.0 patch.  It has the Mk 2, Mk 3 and experimental (superpowered) versions of generators, shields, radar, ect.  It'll also have the final three hulls I have planned out, after that it'll be seeing what my modeling friend can toss to me and what the devs release.  Which hybrids did you think needed work, though?  The GSC is a little weak IMO but it's also an auto-tracking weapon, the gauss is essentially a better mass driver, the fusion is a better beam laser,

You may notice that the weapons seem a bit less overwhelming as you creep closer to endgame, too; the tier 2 and tier 3 weapons are much less of a DPS increase than they are in the vanilla game, so the pirates and aliens can still give a pretty darn good challenge. :)

Samui

I saw some vanilla lasers, rocket launchers and many hulls in stores. In loot was only BTC items. And I didn't saw any t2/3 BTC weapons hulls =(

I got it, I downloaded 0.9.2v of BTC from your first post yesterday... what a noob =)

I'll update BTC and try it again ;)

Hammish

Yeah, that would have been from before I started some of the major balance patches. :)

0.99 is above, and you can snag that if you want.  I just hadn't been updating the main links until 1.0 came out, which should be later today.  1.0 should be 100% compatible with 0.99, though; no need to restart saves or anything.

That said, you will need to look a bit for the T3 hulls, as they only appear in the capital systems currently.  Eventually, once I get the knack of it, the Civ through Mk 2 hulls will be purchasable and for the Experimental variants on all gear you'll need to trade in pieces of mysterious tech that you find as loot or get for mission rewards.  One of my little ways of making combat more rewarding. :)

Oh, and another thing I haven't spelled out: not every hull has all the variants.  Certain hulls have a civilian variant, others like the Artemis and Dionysus only have a basic and an experimental.  The basic version on these is about equivalent to the Mk 2 on the starter hulls and requires piloting-2 in the relevant craft tree.  They tend to be much more potent but specialized for the rareness, though.  I'm especially proud of how the gunship turned out, and it's a monster... but one with clear-cut weaknesses, too!

Samui

Hope dev's take some good things from your mod to main game. Or even all of them ;)
Talking about rewards: can you add some pirate fighting reward? 50-200cr for shooted down depending of target strength?
And one more thing: full energy ships extremely rare, why?

Hammish

They've already been interested in a few things, I think Lurler said.  I consider it a nice compliment. :D

And I had thought about the reward, but I need to look into how to doing it as part of the code and getting this thing shined up for a public release has been my #1 priority during free moments.  At the very least I'm going to look into throwing in a new trade items with funny names that can drop as loot off them, like stolen goods and the like, that sell for a fair bit but aren't purchasable at shops.  The VE version of vendor trash. :)

And by full-energy ships, do you mean the -X variants?  That's just a stopgap measure.  As I think I mentioned, soon they won't be shop-purchasable anyway but will need to be 'crafted' via drops.  I want the top-tier stuff to be fairly potent but late-game and something that a person really has to work toward in terms of SP and finding/producing items.  For example, right now, a player needs to spend a full 90 points to unlock all three tier options for a hull size; that helps to focus any particular character, because you need to specialize to get the really shiny stuff... but you can't have it all.  You'd need to be an insane level, for example, to get Experimental-level gear in every slot even on one hull size type. :)

Hammish

Finally taking the leap.  I've tested it as much as I am able to locally, v1.0.0 now released.  Information on the first page updated.  Download link updated.  Please update from any past versions.. and let me know what you think. :D

dginio

Were nice mode. But. Where skills "Experimental Consumables", "Military Consumables"?

Hammish

Not in, a lot of the skills have changed to match the new set of items.  The advanced consumables I may introduce yet, or I may go the other route and start working on devices and relegate shielding and hull healing to those instead to match what I plan to do with ammo on some of the hulls.  Odds are at least some of the advanced consumables will return when I finish fleshing out the defenses tree, as that is where they belong. :)

(That reference to ammo is my idea for carriers to limit the amount of 'deck size' I assume they have; the general principle will be that carriers will be able to mount manufacturing systems in modules or devices that allow them to replenish ammunition, which in turn is representing fighter drones.  Ammo count on the launchers/bays will be very low allowing the carrier to field limited numbers of drones... but they will also be self-sufficient in terms of ability to refresh those drones.)

Samui

Vanilla mines, they back!!!{scared screem}

And you didn't add better fuel tanks yet? C'mon, I can't reach aliens systems without that! Arghhh, I need to kill some aliens! ;D

There was some visual glitches when I started 0.9.9 BTC save, but they vanished after I jumped to another system.

Otherwise mod is good as it was ;)

Hammish

Man how did they get in there!  I'll fix them yet!

Thanks for the bug report, though.  And gas tank improvements are in the next version coming out, which will also include the last three hulls I have for now (a mining mid-sized frigate, a destroyer and a heavy cruiser), large-size weapons including DUN DUN DUN bomber drones, and the first few boosts for mounting in module slots (I'll definitely have engine mods and weapon mods in, since they're likely to see the most use.  Possibly generator mods as well, because with the tweaking I did on energy weapons... well, medium- and large-size energy weapons are REALLY power hungry by design.  Cuz they are ENERGY WEAPONS.) :)

Just as a teaser, too, the higher-end gas tanks will force you to choose between stat boosts and raw storage.  Choose wisely if you want to go on long jaunts!

Also, I'd like to look into making a stellar scoop or somesuch for refueling on long journeys, but I'm not sure if it's even feasible via code given that there is no spare-fuel consumable that I am aware of.  Ergo, I'm not sure what I'd use to replenish fuel... nor how to balance it if it is.  Perhaps a massive debuff to certain ship systems while it operates; you want gas you shut down critical ship systems and start draining gas from space, and hope you don't get ambushed mid-fueling.

Samui

Quoteyou want gas you shut down critical ship systems and start draining gas from space, and hope you don't get ambushed mid-fueling.
Something like mining asteroids? It's would be great ;) Especially if remember that some asteroids really contain gas and you can, somehow, refuel from tham. (faster than from space, for example). I think in that mechanics should be interested dev's.
By the way, in SR there was some "black swill" that slowly but permanently recovers your fuel.

UPD. Medium pulse laser (Broadsword-M Pulse Laser) Can be equiped in 1st size turrets making them OP for the early game. Lootbox pirate guard live only for 3-4 dual shots.
(http://img.chaos-online.ru/rNF)

Hammish

Thanks again.  Already discovered the M-pulse error when I was copy-pasting over for the large turrets.  Fixed in next version. :)

Also, that's a great idea for balancing refueling.  Another option, depending on how they implement it once it's in, may be crafting.  If crafting is able to be done in space and not just on stations, it should be possible to make a crafting method of breaking down certain 'roids for gas along the way.