Procedural story-line generation in VoidExpanse?

Started by johnmschneider, April 04, 2015, 05:31:50 PM

johnmschneider

Hello all,

I believe a really interesting addition would be a procedural storyline generation in VoidExpanse. For instance, (slight spoiler for VoidExpanse in this sentence) instead of having just the biological-like alien ships and the farlands, perhaps one time it picks (from a list of pre-defined good starting stories) that you will be playing as the rest of the federation (Not in the farlands).

Or perhaps it picks another time that you will be a member from the Farlands on the other side of the galaxy -- surely there is more than one farlands in an entire galaxy? Perhaps there will be a different threat there.

In addition, there can probably be more pre-defined factions for each starting area, and more characters.

I believe this would take the game from really good to GREAT -- Imagine each time you play a new world, you start in a new location. You can go adventure into anomalies in space, or perhaps even visit other starting areas (if they are not too far). There would be so much more to do and learn -- and a great opportunity for more lore.

Let me know what you think!

Thanks,
John

EDIT: If anyone is interested in this idea also, could you reply and say so below? I want to know if it's just me that thinks this is cool or not!

johnmschneider

If you don't like this idea, please say so also!

Fugue

I think it's a great idea and I believe something along these lines would be possible with mods. Seeing as the Quests are simply XML and JavaScript files. It is possible to write a tool that generates a mod pack with procedural generated quest lines and NPCs.

johnmschneider

Thanks for the input! I'm glad to know that this idea doesn't seem to hard to implement.