Turret Scaling

Started by FlessenGreendart, December 24, 2014, 04:23:10 PM

Hammish

Today's quick question (I haven't actually tested it in-game yet):

If I give a muzzle flash a Z-coord, will it invert the value for a flipped (bottom-mount) turret?  Just curious, 'cuz otherwise bottom-mount turrets shooting are going to look very strange. ;)

Just a small little thing I was curious about; for now I'm just trying to get X and Y lined up, I can always change Z later on, and only on the flashes; I'm keeping all projectiles originating on 0 z-axis just for simplicity and to avoid strange visual effects as to when a shot should connect.

ai_enabled

The muzzle flashes and ray weapons fire origin should work ok with flipped turrets, no need to manually invert values in that case.
If you noticed, we improved how projectiles (bullet sprites & 3d-models like missiles) spawning in the latest release - they're offsetted by Z-axis when spawned, and then Z smoothly decreasing to the zero value. A little bit tricky, but the result is worth it - no more projectiles flying through the hull! You can test it with a  slow projectiles to see how it works now. So I'm sure it will work correctly with the non-flipped turrets, but for the flipped turrets projectiles may be spawned as turret is non-flipped - we didn't tested that case. Would be glad if you try it and let us know how it works for you!
Regards!

ai_enabled

We added weapon slot turret scaling as FlessenGreendart asked.
We're using it the new hull_stingray_mk2:

<weapon_slot>
<id>1</id>
<slot_type>3</slot_type>
<slot_size>2</slot_size>
<display_type>1</display_type>
<direction>0</direction>
<rotation_angle>360</rotation_angle>
<rotation_speed>50</rotation_speed>
<position>-0.489;0.0;-0.287</position>
<scale>1.5</scale>
</weapon_slot>

The <scale> element is optional. It also increases muzzle flash size.

FlessenGreendart

Fantastic! I look forward to employing that! :)