Unable to Join Server

Started by Marcher Lord, April 06, 2015, 04:06:44 PM

Marcher Lord

Hey guys,

I picked up this game today for my wife and I.  It looks very similar to a game series I loved called Escape Velocity and when my wife and I saw that it had multiplayer we were sold.  We're having some difficulty getting the MP to work though.  Our problem is very similar to the one described here: http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=602.0

We both have Steam copies of the game and I'm trying to host the server (non-dedicated) from my PC using the VoidExpanse.Server .exe located in the game's Server_dotNet folder.  Server creation seems to work fine and we can see the server in the list of available public servers but when we click on it we get the same "Not accessible, please check address" message that the poster in the above thread mentions, and are unable to connect to the server at all.  I've tried manually adding the server in the client via the custom server menu, same issue.  I've made sure the whitelist is disabled, turned off my software firewall, and even put my PC into the DMZ on our router to ensure that it wasn't an issue with blocked ports.  I'm trying to connect to the game using the same PC that's running the server.  My wife, of course, is on a separate PC on the same network.

I feel like I'm maybe missing something basic here but I've gone through the server info on the FAQ and the multiple posts here on the forum from other folks who are having multiplayer issues and have yet to find a solution.  I know that reviewing the server logs would be helpful but I have three separate logs that look like they were created roughly the same time so I'm not sure which one to provide.  One of the log files is significantly larger than the other two.  If someone could clue me in on which one would be most helpful I'll make sure to post it.  Otherwise, any help in getting this fixed would be appreciated.

Thanks!

askew1

You have a network routing issue.

Basically you are trying to connect to your server via the public IP address listed on the server browser. But because you're all behind the same firewall your traffic only gets to the router and then stops there.

Most of the people running MP are doing so on servers on the internet that exist outside of their own private networks. That's the normal way to setup something like this.

You can add your local server to your server list manually. After selecting multiplayer, go to the "CUSTOM" tab and click "ADD" to add your server. You need to figure out your PRIVATE IP address and put that in here (http://i.imgur.com/wCGoSIT.png).

Example: 192.168.1.5:5000

This should work for both you and your wife.

Marcher Lord

Worked perfectly, thanks for the help!