Is VoidExpanse Successful on Steam So Far?

Started by jeeplaw, April 10, 2015, 07:42:59 AM

jeeplaw

Hi guys,
Any kind of feedback for sales yet? Just curious if it's meeting or has exceeded your expectations?

Zaphoos

Lurler

What if I tell you that there is a third option and not just two that you already listed.

jeeplaw

True, it could be underselling, thus NOT meeting your expectations.. new game though, hang in there!

loudent

Quote from: Lurler on April 10, 2015, 08:59:10 PM
What if I tell you that there is a third option and not just two that you already listed.

Ouch. I was really hoping it would do well.

sandbags

There are a lot of games on Steam. What helps bring them to peoples attention?

Is it all about the LetsPlay videos these days?

How about trying to get someone like SleepCycles into the game. I like most of the games he plays so there must be some intersection in taste. He has about 10k subscribers. Would that move the needle?

m/

Lurler

It's all down to two things: the press and YouTube. If either works then the game is successful. That is unless of course you have a massive marketing budged in millions.

sandbags

I've reached out to @SleepCycles. No idea if it will come to anything but he did confirm he likes space sim rpg type games!

sandbags

Quote from: Lurler on April 27, 2015, 02:49:52 AM
It's all down to two things: the press and YouTube. If either works then the game is successful. That is unless of course you have a massive marketing budged in millions.

https://twitter.com/sleepcycles/status/593411253902663680

Seems there is some interest, recommend you reach out. I'm a big fan of SleepCycles play vids and he has at least 10K subscribers so if he started a video series on VE I can't imagine it's going to hurt your Steam numbers.

m/

MenschMaschine

What if it does not work?

Is there ANY remote chance at all of making the whole thing
available as open source, so others can work on it,
instead of it being buried in the dust?

Also, GOG does not -only- have old games and generally
i would say it has also a bigger
"lets support the underdog"-user-base.

Don't misunderstand me though, i rather pay for games that are developed
at least to a complete state than go for half-developed, but cheaper/free games.

I also think topics as these should not exist,
not in these days, where (exagerrated) one post on twitter can decide
on the sucess or doom of a movie or game.
No Berries!

sandbags

Quote from: MenschMaschine on April 29, 2015, 11:54:53 AM
I also think topics as these should not exist,
not in these days, where (exagerrated) one post on twitter can decide
on the sucess or doom of a movie or game.

What do you mean here?

m/

MenschMaschine

I mean that threads like this one can be counterproductive to a games succes.
And, no offense to the opening poster, such questions in the end are not
very useful really.

When it is a success, we all know because we get more and continued
development of the game in question. If it is not a success, we also know.
The only party who could truthfully answer that question is
the producer of the game anyways.

(By the wayside: what does "m/" mean?)
No Berries!

jeeplaw

No offense taken, really. The question I posed is in direct response to their point about doing more with the game IF sales continued to come in. I think the whole world at this point knows that the framework for a great game is all here, but standing along by itself there's a LOT missing that flesh out a great indie game.

My only point in asking was to see if it had/has been successful which would mean a direct correlation to them to continue to work/add on to the core of the program. I've been working on the code diligently in my own spare time to add in things like variablity to products, or spontaneous wars that break out, or trying to get passing traders to hail me, and ask me if I want to take on a quick job. Stuff like that.

What I'm trying to do is build the game that I've always wanted to play, and if the dev team has their own roadmap based on the financial capabilities, there's no reason I should spend my own time and resources to dev code myself (or pay someone to assist) IF the AT team is already doing some of it.

I hope that this game does really, really well. I think they've been a great dev team so far. The nitpicky stuff about voice acting and graphics are immaterial to me. Fleshed out content is not.

Hell, if these guys were open to it, I'd even consider tapping into some VC friends of mine and see if AT is outright open for purchase ;) Don't underestimate some of the people who have scene or played the game :)

MenschMaschine

Yes, pretty much all of the negative reviews on steam speak about
a lack of content, while at the same time praising the
framework/game/base itself :)

I am a great (and old) fan of the classic Elite and even though
VE is not quite there yet, it is my greatest hope that someday
it has become a 3d top-down version of it.
No Berries!

kyokei

Well, today ARK: Survival Evolved launched. Overhyped game,from the streams I watched, seems to be a pretty solid first day Early Access title. The game is currently at 54% user reviews and my guess is that it will drop even more today.

I think you should be pretty content with the 70% you have at the moment. Yes you had a bit of launch issues but it didn't make your rating drop below 50% (and yes, I know Steam took care of the Russian reviews).

Are you guys planning any social media push for the content update? Maybe a spot on the Steam frontpage?