Author Topic: Art and Screenshots  (Read 9184 times)

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
Art and Screenshots
« on: May 06, 2016, 02:49:46 am »
Here in this topic I will start posting different arts for the game and some small assets that we already added in the game.

For now here is a screenshot of the background in main menu. In the actual game it is animated and there is UI over it, but I decided to post just the background because it looks quite nice as is.

(you can click on the image to enlarge)

In the following days I will post a bit more! :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2016, 02:53:37 am by Lurler »

kyokei

• View Profile
Re: Art and Screenshots
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2016, 03:03:21 am »
That looks really nice - love the art style - I actually changed my laptop background to this one.

If the game has the same kind of art then it will really appeal to me!

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2016, 12:18:01 am »
Yup, this time we decided to go with a hand drawn style for both: the art and the game itself.
It should be appealing to a bit wider audience this way. Hopefully most people like it :)

Here is a screenshot of some inventory items:

This is obviously not the final version, but it should give a general idea of the visual Style.

As soon as we finish the UI I will make some actual screenshots, but it won't be ready for about one month, though. In the mean time I will be posting some pictures like that.

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2016, 06:04:08 am »
Looks like  a nature book to discover plants and animals... it's clear and readable, i think i like.

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:29:56 am »
Love the style, wonder what you are going to do with the character models!

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2016, 12:58:14 am »
Looks like  a nature book to discover plants and animals... it's clear and readable, i think i like.
Haha, that's an unusual comparison :) Maybe we need to have an encyclopedia with pictures :)

Love the style, wonder what you are going to do with the character models!
We are still working on them. Changing animations and stuff.
But we are using Spine for animations, so it will look somewhat like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RTkImAOJKM
(it's Spine demo reel, with a few games as examples)

Also, here is a preview of the 10mm ammo icons:

As always, a reminder that it is not the final version.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 01:02:44 am by Lurler »

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2016, 09:05:57 am »
Looks extremely cool, I hope the character art will be like in the video at around 2 minutes 38 seconds. Love that style.

I really really dig this style, I think this is a very good choice - now lets see how the actual character models will look and most importantly the world!

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2016, 09:23:12 pm »
Looks extremely cool, I hope the character art will be like in the video at around 2 minutes 38 seconds. Love that style.
Yes, more or less like this. Please note, however, in order to make animations as cool as that it takes A LOT of time. Which we don't want to spend at the moment. Currently we are focusing on implementing all the basic gameplay elements in a "quick and dirty" way to have all the basics ready by the time we are going to announce the game.
But when all that is complete we will go back and rework most of the stuff to increase the quality to the desired level. So, please don't expect to see some amazing stuff any time soon :)

I really really dig this style, I think this is a very good choice - now lets see how the actual character models will look and most importantly the world!
This is great to hear. We were honestly on the fence regarding the art style. Having very heated debates over this. We scrapped like ten different options and started over several times. Eventually we hit on a style that looked quite nice and allowed us to implement the required gameplay mechanics. Well, I'm mostly talking about the character style. It is extremely difficult to do well in 2D and we didn't want to make it 3D because it would ruin modding.

What am I talking about? Well, here's how the character looks now.
Again, remember what I said about it being temporary assets? That's exactly it. The ground is a placeholder as well.
And we will have better character graphics and animations later :)
Anyway, it is a character wearing military armor and helmet. So, when you change your equipment your character visuals change as well.

But honestly, I personally like the art style. It's quite simple, but it looks neat. And it is even better when animated :)

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2016, 02:13:11 am »
Okay, and here is something more substantial :)

Mandatory reminder - everything is work in progress, ground is placeholder and nothing is finished :)

Now, as you can see it has some of the actual ingame elements such as different crafting stations (stove and workbench) as welll as storage box and campfire. Some trees and bushes and a character standing there who built it all :)

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2016, 04:01:36 am »
That actually looks very cool - reminds me of don't starve. I love the cartoony kind of art, suits it. I wonder what kind of world it will be... are you going to base it off our earth or will you invent something completely sci-fi?

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2016, 10:28:09 am »
Are placement grid based, or free ?
Can you rotate things ?
Do they decay overtime ?
If i drop something on the ground, it stays there ?
Is that a dead body behind that tree ?
Can i use the hoven to cook the body and feed myself ?
Can i feed from the body without cooking it ?
Can i pour berries inside the body before eating to give more taste to my meal ?
Can i cut the body and eat only part of it, to keep some for later, or to feed my pet ?

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 09:12:52 pm »
I wonder what kind of world it will be... are you going to base it off our earth or will you invent something completely sci-fi?
Well, it will be similar to earth partially, but it won't be earth. Since it is sci-fi it is a different planet and there is a story on how you got there and what happened.

Are placement grid based, or free ?
We evaluated both options and decided to go with grid based system. It makes it muuuuch easier to plan huge settlements or even just place stuff inside your house. It really simplifies everything and makes it more streamlined considering the top down nature of the game.

Can you rotate things ?
Do they decay overtime ?
If i drop something on the ground, it stays there ?
Is that a dead body behind that tree ?
Yes. But not everything is implemented yet.

Can i use the hoven to cook the body and feed myself ?
Can i feed from the body without cooking it ?
Can i pour berries inside the body before eating to give more taste to my meal ?
Can i cut the body and eat only part of it, to keep some for later, or to feed my pet ?
Dude... there is something seriously wrong here :)
And we are now making "Zombie Simulator 2016" here :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 10:01:56 pm by Lurler »

kyokei

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 01:50:39 am »
Hmmmm Grid based movement... so how will it work since it's going to be in Realtime? I don't see you pulling off turn based with multiplayer, would be too awkward and hard.

So if the movement is grid based, then is the combat xcom like? Will you have to select a skill and then select a mob, or otherway around. If it is xcom like... how will you make it work in realtime. If you look at the type of game you want to make, a big 2d world, how will you make transportation work if the movement is grid based?

This is very interesting since both concepts have been done already in games, but never at the sametime. It's always either been smooth free realtime movement or turn based grid movement. I am curious to see how you are going to make this work.

So there is a lot of focus on gathering and building then - player housing and more, industrial perhaps which can be used to make money? So will trading be a big focus in the game?

If I think about the world you are making, based on the pieces on information here - would the game be more PVE or PVP focussed? One thing I personally hate is playing on a MP server, spend time gathering and building just to have a person destroy everything. If the servers will be PVP - will there be something like Safe Zones? For example having a house in one of the big cities would make it a safe place for you to store your items, but if you make a house in the middle of the desert it will be PVP enabled? so that people can breach it and take your loot?

Tchey

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 02:17:07 am »
I think he means object placement is grid based, not movement.

Lurler

• AtomicTorch Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 02:23:46 am »
Hmmmm Grid based movement... so how will it work since it's going to be in Realtime? I don't see you pulling off turn based with multiplayer, would be too awkward and hard.

So if the movement is grid based, then is the combat xcom like? Will you have to select a skill and then select a mob, or otherway around. If it is xcom like... how will you make it work in realtime. If you look at the type of game you want to make, a big 2d world, how will you make transportation work if the movement is grid based?

This is very interesting since both concepts have been done already in games, but never at the sametime. It's always either been smooth free realtime movement or turn based grid movement. I am curious to see how you are going to make this work.
Ah, no no no. Not movement. Only object placement.
Everything is as you would expect, no grid system or anything, fully real time, fluid movement and all.
Grid system is ONLY used for object placement, to make building easier to align different blocks with each other.

So there is a lot of focus on gathering and building then - player housing and more, industrial perhaps which can be used to make money? So will trading be a big focus in the game?
Yes, industry has a huge focus in the game. Different players will advance into many different directions and could become proficient in a particular area, making their abilities useful to other players.
Or you can simply buy a plot of land in a city that some other player established and set up your store there, where you can sell for example your weapons that you are manufacturing in a factory nearby.
But interestingly, manufacturing machines will take much more space than things you would place in your house. So if you want to run a big manufacturing facility you will need a large plot of land and well protected preferably. So you will really want the protection of the city and I can imagine city owners selling such "industrial spaces" as well as "house spaces" in their cities.
But obviously not everything will be available from the very beginning, we will be adding this kind of stuff slowly with each update.

If I think about the world you are making, based on the pieces on information here - would the game be more PVE or PVP focussed? One thing I personally hate is playing on a MP server, spend time gathering and building just to have a person destroy everything. If the servers will be PVP - will there be something like Safe Zones? For example having a house in one of the big cities would make it a safe place for you to store your items, but if you make a house in the middle of the desert it will be PVP enabled? so that people can breach it and take your loot?
I completely share the sentiment you expressed. We want to make this game more towards creation, rather than destruction. But people who want to loot other people can still do so. But you can always join a big city and be more or less sure that the city defenses will protect your house. But you will have to pay some taxes to the city owner for such protection.
Basically this is exactly how you described it :) But without "magical" safe zones, all safety will be provided by the city owner installing defenses inside the city. So if the city is crap and poorly managed there will not be much reason to join it. You better find a different city run by a more powerful group of people and set up your base there.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 02:28:37 am by Lurler »