Change requested for mining devices

Started by kyokei, April 07, 2015, 11:19:13 AM

kyokei

In the early beta version energy wasn't such a problem for mining but these days mining takes a lot of energy.
One of the thing that has gotten me sometimes frustrated is firing up 4 normal mining devices and just running out of energy - this makes the devices fail and has eaten all your energy.

I want to propose a simple fix for this. When a mining device is activated it checks if it has enough energy to run it's full cycle, if it does then it starts and drains the energy slowly. If it doesn't have the required energy then it will throw a spoken message saying that you don't have enough energy.

Take into account that once a mining device is triggered the game needs to remember that X amount of energy is reserved, so if you trigger another device then it check if the current energy - reserved energy is enough.

Please, oh please, tell me this is not too hard to implement :) I'm a farmer at heart! :D

James009

That's a good idea and a pretty simple solution.

ForceUser

With the way energy regen and energy usage from just using things like using maneuvering thrusters work you can still have cases where you might have enough energy at the start of a cycle but because you rotated your ship (say because you have auto turn on) the cycle could still fail.

Maybe an alternative would be if possible to just mine the % of the ore the cycle was at when it stopped. So if you normally mine 10 units of ore and the mining laser runs out of energy at 40% done you get 4 units of ore.

But yea, whatever is easiest to implement at the end of the day  ;)