Screenshots:

Deathbringer, Disruptor Ray MF Mode, aiming close range:

Deathbringer, Disruptor Ray MF Mode, aiming mid range:

Deathbringer, Disruptor Ray MF Mode, aiming far range:

Deathbringer, Disruptor Ray MF Mode, aiming rear:

Banshee Mk2, Civilian Laser, aiming mid range:

Avalanche Mk2, Civilian Laser, aiming far range:

Civilian Shuttle, Civilian Laser, aiming dead ahead mid range (looks good):

Civilian Shuttle, Civilian Laser, aiming starboard mid range (might be off a little?)

Bug Description:
It seems that energy weapons are not aiming at the cursor properly. The aiming hint lines point in the correct direction, but when the weapon actually fires, it does not fire along the path of the hint lines and does not intersect the cursor.

I tested this at a full stop to make sure it wasn't caused by the aiming drift that usually occurs when you're moving at high speed. Tested with Deathbringer, Banshee Mk2, Avalanche, and Shuttle. Shuttle, only having a single energy weapon on the center-line of the craft, aims properly (I think? It may be off juuuust a bit when aiming to either side.) Any hull with energy weapons offset to either side does not aim properly. The aim is off by more the further from the ship the cursor is. This issue was not present prior to 1.2.7.

As per the Deathbringer screenshots above, the offset seems to be worse in one direction. Specifically, see "Deathbringer, Disruptor Ray MF Mode, aiming close range" and "Deathbringer, Disruptor Ray MF Mode, aiming rear", note beam distance from hint lines.

Additionally, I'm not even sure if the graphics are matching up with where the weapon is actually firing, since once you do get past the offset, beam weapons will often be going right through a target but causing no damage and not stopping. I tried just trusting the hint lines, but that doesn't work either.

In this case, the multiplayer server was running on Windows 7, and the client was on OS X.

Ballistics weapons do not seem to be affected. Have not tested missile weapons.

ai_enabled

Hello!
Thanks for a very detailed report! Working on the fix.
Regards!

ai_enabled

The fix is ready. Will be available in the next patch.
Thanks again for reporting about this!
BTW, you're playing on Mac, do you experience any other issues? Maybe launch issues, crashes, the process remains active after quit? We've fixed most of these issues, but need confirmation do they really fixed or they simply unreproducible for us now.

Regards!

Munki

A version or two ago, launching the game was a 50/50 prospect at best. Generally, I learned to gauge it based on whether the initial steam overlay popup disappeared in a timely fashion or not: if it didn't, the game wasn't ever going to get past the loading screen and I could feel free to force quit. As of, what, two versions ago(?), that issue was largely resolved. Still freezes once in a while, but it's pretty rare now.

However, I do still note that if I cmd-tab out of the game while it is in that initial loading state, it's pretty much guaranteed to lock up and never finish loading, whether I switch back or not. Once in a while, while trying to load an actual game (again, multiplayer, that's all we really do here), it'll lock up on the loading screen, but I haven't found any rhyme nor reason. Now that I have an account on the forums here, I'll post a bug report along with logs if I catch it doing that again. :)

kyokei

Tomorrow I am going to give the Mac version some stress testing. I will take these scenarios into my testing.
@Munki, are you running the game on an Intel GPU or NVIDIA?

Munki

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 3000 512 MB
OS X 10.10.3 (14D131)

Munki

For reference, on the mac version, where are all the logs you all would be interested in when reporting a crash? So I can just include them right away in the event of a crash report. I mean, there's the game logs, unity logs, what else? :)

ai_enabled

Munki, thanks for you response.
Yes, when it crashes or freezes we need the logs from:
1.  /Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/VoidExpanse/Logs
2. ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log (unfortunately it's overwritten on every launch).

Regards!

kyokei

QuoteHowever, I do still note that if I cmd-tab out of the game while it is in that initial loading state, it's pretty much guaranteed to lock up and never finish loading, whether I switch back or not. Once in a while, while trying to load an actual game (again, multiplayer, that's all we really do here), it'll lock up on the loading screen, but I haven't found any rhyme nor reason.

I tried to replicate this but wasn't able to. I pressed cmd+tab on every loading screen and watch the activity monitor but it always loaded.
Can you describe to me exactly what you are doing when it happens.
For example:
- Load up VE
- When it says Loading then I cmd+tab
- In the meantime I open my browser?
- Then I try to switch back and nothing happens.

I've been giving the Mac version a good 1.5 hours of testing now and I just had VE hanging once after I quit. The rest of the time the game acted the way it is supposed to.

Munki

I never(?) see it happen when, say, un/docking at a station, it's only the initial loading screen when starting the game up. I'll see if I can induce it later today and post some logs. If I can, I'll start a new thread for it for easier tracking, or find an already-existing one of the appropriate topic, though, since this particular thread has run its course on the original bug. :)

Munki

So back on the original topic, I went to confirm the aiming fix, and depending on how persnickety one wants to be, it's not QUITE right yet. :D

For energy weapons that have no spread (i.e. Civilian Laser) it's great, follows the line, perfect. But for weapons that DO have a spread, such as the Disruptor Ray MF Mode from the OP, it appears that the spread starts at the aiming line and then spreads clockwise from that, instead of being centered on the aiming line and spreading in both directions. Best example I could come up with was this:

If you look closely, you can see how both rays are touching the aiming lines, but then spread clockwise from there. Not sure if this matters at all for what the beam actually hits, like if it's purely graphical and the hit box is actually just a beam, or if the hit box for that weapon has spread as well. Obviously not so big a deal anymore, but there it is. :)

ai_enabled

Munki, the disruptor ray came into the game as the result of a bug :-). We saw this and thought - wow, it looks interesting, good idea for a new weapon.
Of course it's a regular beam, just looks different. We need to write a custom renderer to fix this issue and another one issue (you may also notice that this ray is have a little bit strange shape, is not a normal "V" shape). This task is added to the tasks queue with the low priority (the high priority now is adding more content).
Regards!

Munki

Quote from: kyokei on April 17, 2015, 03:41:30 AM
I tried to replicate this but wasn't able to. I pressed cmd+tab on every loading screen and watch the activity monitor but it always loaded.
Can you describe to me exactly what you are doing when it happens.
For example:
- Load up VE
- When it says Loading then I cmd+tab
- In the meantime I open my browser?
- Then I try to switch back and nothing happens.

I've been giving the Mac version a good 1.5 hours of testing now and I just had VE hanging once after I quit. The rest of the time the game acted the way it is supposed to.

Got it to lock up tonight, started a new thread for it here: http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=695

Cheers :)