Co-Pilot Voices v1

Started by FlessenGreendart, February 04, 2015, 11:08:59 AM

FlessenGreendart

Title: Co-Pilot Voices
Author: Flessen

It can get lonely in the vast expanses of space.

Here at Voidspace Recruiting, we offer a well trained team of professional co-pilots for you to take on your journeys through the star-systems of the Far Colonies!

Meet the Team

Private Stryker

A young recruit of the Order faction,
Private Rick Stryker is an enthusiastic
guy, eager to impress. Just don't excite
him.
Gavick

Gavick is a reformed pirate, and willing
to sit by your side; for the right price.
Although not the sharpest tool in the
shed, he probably does own it.
Victoria Glensdale

Once a member of the Far Colonies
Council. After the war, the council
became obsolete, leaving her no
choice but to go renegade.

Description:
This mod changes the computer voice into a co-pilot voice, giving you prompts in a slightly different way.

Mod version: 1.0.0
Game version:1.0.x - 1.1.x
Game mode: Any.
Download: http://www.nexusmods.com/voidexpanse/mods/8/?
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/srkkv7041fcd5fv/AADDNyyDryKlBRJ_RAzi6r78a?dl=0

Lurler

Wow, that is something! It is officially my favorite mod now.
I would like to feature it on the website if you don't mind.

"look out! we are about to crash... nevermind" - LOL :)

How did you manage to record all that? Seems like a professional voice actors to me.

FlessenGreendart

Thanks, I didn't expect such a positive response!
I'd be honoured if you featured this :D

Honestly, this is my first attempt at anything like this. I just used a basic mic, and cleaned it with Audacity.

Lurler

Well, it's just sounds pretty fun when it's actually in the game :)
Plus, it's a completely different take on the basic idea of the game. Just gives a new life to the comms system.

Here, I've added a spotlight to the blog:
https://atomictorch.com/Post/Id1093

Let me know if I need to change anything.

FlessenGreendart

Awesome, thanks!

Out of curiosity, I've got to ask, which character's your favourite?

InVasMani

Curious as to how this mod works does it basically switch controls and perhaps ships from you to one of these other pilots from a hot key button or is it more like hireling that joins your party and tags along with you and is it just 1 at a time or a fleet of all 3?

DLirry

That's a great idea for mod! And in general too. These default robotic co-pilots are so booring.
Pity that it's impossible to add additional voiced dialogs and quests with these characters -
I'm sure that'd be a lot of fun.
Keep up good work
Doubting yourself is the only path to perfection

FlessenGreendart

@InVasMani
I think you're giving this mod more complexity than it actually is. All it does is replace the computer voice with a human voice ;)

@DLirry
I wonder if it is possible to set voice playback in the quest script? such as co-pilot comments when an objective is completed..

InVasMani

Oops not sure how I even misinterpreted that must have been the Co-Pilot part I guess. I was thinking more a long the lines of Co-Party of sorts, but yeah oh well hell maybe someone will make that kind of mod eventually I could see that being cool like tag team ship pilots let their shields/energy recharge ;) Marvel vs Capcom type thing it would be kinda sweet.

ai_enabled

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on February 06, 2015, 03:29:44 AM
@DLirry
I wonder if it is possible to set voice playback in the quest script? such as co-pilot comments when an objective is completed..
You can play any sound from script with ship.PlaySound() API method http://wiki.atomictorch.com/VoidExpanse/scope-game
BTW, I think you're joking when saying it's your first attempt :-). For me it sounds very professional: the recording is clear, voices are nice and text is much more funny also! Thanks for this mod!

Lurler

Quote from: ai_enabled on February 06, 2015, 10:34:51 PM
You can play any sound from script with ship.PlaySound() API method http://wiki.atomictorch.com/VoidExpanse/scope-game
Yeah, it's a great idea to add more phrases to the game.

FlessenGreendart, as ai mintioned you can add a phrase to almost every interaction in the game. Not that you have to, though, just an idea.
For example if you are mining an asteroid your co-pilot might say something like "We are gonna get rich!" or something similar to that.

FlessenGreendart

ai_enabled, thanks for the pointer. Is it possible, with the current setup, to play a sound based on what system you're in? For example when you enter a black hole system, or even a faction capital.
I have to admit, it took a lot of takes to get it right, and even alone in a room, it still gets embarassing shouting at a mic  :P

Lurler, I like that thought. Another way to add more life to the co-pilots might be to have more than one quote per interaction, and have it randomise.

Lurler

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on February 14, 2015, 04:36:31 AM
Is it possible, with the current setup, to play a sound based on what system you're in? For example when you enter a black hole system, or even a faction capital.
I think yes, using the API you can get a type of a system and then based of that you can do something.

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on February 14, 2015, 04:36:31 AM
I have to admit, it took a lot of takes to get it right, and even alone in a room, it still gets embarassing shouting at a mic  :P
Nah, it's cool :)

Creat

Oh, I'm incredibly happy that I've found this. To be honest, I really dislike the "stock" voice from the game. It's much too robotic and harsh. I understand that it is supposed to sound robotic, but it's just way too much.

Is there any chance this could be actually integrated into the base-game? Maybe you could work out a deal for that, so everyone wins?
It really would be nice to get some "official" options for voices, especially for new players who also find the computer voice a bit over the top. In general, options for subjective things are probably always a good idea. (Could be swapped either from the options, or somehow on a per-save/per-character basis).

FlessenGreendart

Thanks, I'm glad you like the mod, but I'm not sure about it being in the base game. That's the whole purpose of mods, so you an add and change features you like (or don't).