Modding Questions & Issues.

Started by Hellwarlord, August 14, 2014, 10:34:22 PM

Hellwarlord

Greetings.

I have found that there is no sufficient information available for Players who want to create their own mod and therefore it is not new-user-friendly.

First of all, People should know which programs they will need in order to open files (such as core.cpk); which programs they will need in order to work with images/objects/icons & programs to work with scripts. So if possible, it would be highly appreciated if Developers could create Wiki page with this essential information.

Secondly, Players(especially newbies) need some guides in order to know from where they should start(for example, if they simply want to change Ship stats or add more Weapons).

Thirdly, I have seen that other Players(modders) are changing core.cpk file which is the one with retail scripts. So here is the question: should not mods be changed/added in separate file? I mean, according to wiki core.cpk file contains everything which should not be changed and in order to create mod we should use other file, is that correct?

Fourthly, I think AtomicTorch Developers should encrypt their scripts in core.cpk because currently anyone can extract them.

Lastly, I have got a question about programming. We are working on mining feature. How can you draw partly transparent image on the screen and dispose it? What functions should be used? And how cursor can be manipulated?

Best regards,

Hellwarlord

Lurler

Quote from: Hellwarlord on August 14, 2014, 10:34:22 PM
I have found that there is no sufficient information available for Players who want to create their own mod and therefore it is not new-user-friendly.
Alas, writing a good documentation for modding is monumental task which we are not able to do yet
We have some basic information on our wiki http://wiki.atomictorch.com/Main_Page and full API info, but it is definitely not enough.
If people can help with filling the wiki with more articles and detailed information it would really help.

Thirdly, I have seen that other Players(modders) are changing core.cpk file which is the one with retail scripts. So here is the question: should not mods be changed/added in separate file? I mean, according to wiki core.cpk file contains everything which should not be changed and in order to create mod we should use other file, is that correct?
Even if they modify an existing script they should make it in an MPK file. Modding core package isn't how it supposed to be done.

Fourthly, I think AtomicTorch Developers should encrypt their scripts in core.cpk because currently anyone can extract them.
Why would we do that? We want anyone being able to see how everything works and make any changes they want.

Lastly, I have got a question about programming. We are working on mining feature. How can you draw partly transparent image on the screen and dispose it? What functions should be used? And how cursor can be manipulated?
Not entirely sure what you mean here, but if you mean actually modifying client rendering routine - it isn't possible. Only game content and logic can be modded at the moment.

Hellwarlord

Thank you for quick reply.

Quote from: Lurler on August 14, 2014, 11:56:09 PM
Why would we do that? We want anyone being able to see how everything works and make any changes they want.
You are right; sorry, its my bad.

Not entirely sure what you mean here, but if you mean actually modifying client rendering routine - it isn't possible. Only game content and logic can be modded at the moment.
Well if it is not possible by modders, I want to suggest you implementing some sort of minigame for mining. Good example of this feature can be seen in this video; game has been released in 2009. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8myncHlFkk

Even if they modify an existing script they should make it in an MPK file. Modding core package isn't how it supposed to be done.
Is there example/guide how to create a proper mod?(Without touching core.cpk file) It would be better if this example/guide would be available on Wiki so that anyone can find it and use it.

Regards,

Hellwarlord.

Hammish

I was one of the people who originally modded the core.cpk files, but have since switched over to .mpk.  In my case I can say the reason was that I simply didn't know better when starting to delve into modding the game.

If anything, might be handy just to make sure the link to the wiki on this concept is prominent so that people know where to start.  I'm sure a plethora of modding resources will be flowing in the long term, team's just busy building the game itself currently (which is where the emphasis ought to be, IMO.)  Maybe a few of us regulars in the forums can start coming up with some articles, though; I'd be willing to contribute. :)

BeLugh

I also started modding the core package as it was super easy to get first modding experiences.
I just did not get how to create a proper working mod.

Also i am willing to contribute my modding experiences to the forums soon!