Interesting modding bug - help?

Started by Ophidios, April 06, 2014, 02:22:06 PM

Ophidios

So I was testing the waters for modding (I'm not completely new to scripting and game modding, so I figured why not?)

I started out simple by changing a line of dialog just to see how it all shakes out (adding the word TESTING to the Freedom faction dialog).  So I made a single text change to the "data/topics/any_jobs.js" file, packed ONLY that file (in the same directory structure) using the guidelines posted here, and made the appropriate changes to the Header file and the ModsConfig file.

But when I load a game with this mod activated, it causes all conversations with all characters to simply not trigger.  Clicking on them causes nothing to happen.

The any_jobs.js changes made:
using(ship);
using(relations);
using(npc);
using(console);

function OnCheckRequirements()
{
return true;
}

function OnStart()
{
}

function OnDialogue()
{
var npc_ship_id = topic.GetCurrentNpcShipId();
var faction = relations.GetShipFaction(npc_ship_id);

if(faction == "order")
{
topic.AddPhrase("100", "We, The Order, always have some job for gifted young fellows, like you.");
topic.AddPhrase("101", "If you feel like killing pirates and other criminals, you might want to talk to our Security Officer, he is in charge of this sort of stuff.");
topic.AddPhrase("102", "Talk to our Intendant for delivery and other supply jobs. Dull stuff, but well-paid.");
topic.AddPhrase("103", "You can visit our Commander, if you think you're ready for real challenges.");
}
else if(faction == "freedom")
{
topic.AddPhrase("200", "TESTING - Well, of course, brother, if you're looking for an honest work, we will gladly provide!");
topic.AddPhrase("201", "Talk to people on the station, there bound to be someone looking for some help.");
}
else if(faction == "fanatics")
{
topic.AddPhrase("300", "Our masters will highly appreciate your services to them. Working for masters is the only way to true ascension.");
}
else if(faction == "pirates")
{
topic.AddPhrase("400", "We'll give you job, just don't blew it.");
topic.AddPhrase("401", "Go talk with someone on the station.");
}
else
{
topic.AddPhrase("500", "Well, try to walk around the station, ask some people, maybe you'll find some job.");
}

}

The header.xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>

<root>
<id>test</id>
<title>Language test</title>
<author>Ophidios</author>
<description>TESTING.</description>
<version>0.0.1</version>
<updated>06.04.2014</updated>
<modtype>2</modtype> <!-- 1 - server, 2 - client-server, 3 - client -->
</root>

And the ModsConfig.xml file:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="yes"?>
<mods>
  <mod>core_0.1.0</mod>
  <mod>test_0.0.1</mod>
</mods>

Everything looks kosher to me.  Anything I might be missing?

Jax43

I had something very similar happen to me as well, I cant figure out what I might be missing. Must have looked it over a million times now LOL
I'm a very strong advocate for Indie Developers and providing marketing that is needed
http://steamcommunity.com/id/jax3

DLirry

Hello!
I've tested your mod - it worked perfectly.
My guess is that your inner structure of .mpk file was not exactly correct. Root of every .mpk can have only 3 entities:
header.xml - mandatory
data - folder
content - folder

Meanwhile, a tip - it's better to to test mods in multiplayer mode:
first launch server .exe file from folder /server, and then launch client in multiplayer mode, enter "localhost" as address.
If something doesn't work right, you can just look at server app - it will, probably, show an error in scripts or xml...
Doubting yourself is the only path to perfection

carch

this should probably go into a bugs section, but I've had a similar problem with no mods installed at all. sometimes the conversations just.. don't show up. it usually mends itself after quiting and reloading. and I have had that moving to a new system fixes it. also have had that it doesn't fix it. I can't accurately reproduce it. it just.. rarely.. happens? I'll try to keep a few note on when and where it happens. maybe I can find a cause.

Ophidios

Quote from: DLirry on April 07, 2014, 03:27:08 AM
Hello!
I've tested your mod - it worked perfectly.
My guess is that your inner structure of .mpk file was not exactly correct. Root of every .mpk can have only 3 entities:
header.xml - mandatory
data - folder
content - folder

Meanwhile, a tip - it's better to to test mods in multiplayer mode:
first launch server .exe file from folder /server, and then launch client in multiplayer mode, enter "localhost" as address.
If something doesn't work right, you can just look at server app - it will, probably, show an error in scripts or xml...

I appreciate the response.  I don't want to jump to any goofy conclusions, but I am fairly sure that I had the structure correct.  I will whack everything and attempt again from scratch.  If I continue to have the same issue, I will post some screenshots and additional details as well.  I will also try a fresh download of the client.

@carch:

Unfortunately for me, it happened with repeated attempts.  I was able to revert all files back to normal and conversations worked fine 100% of the time.  On 3 separate occasions I installed the tiny mod, and on all 3 occasions it broke conversations.  Weird.

DLirry

If you have what seems a proper mod. but which doesn't work, please, send it to us, we'll check if it has errors, or not =)
This mystery is kinda disturbing. On our tests everything always worked great.

Ophidios

Very strangely, but instead of changing the file contents, I deleted all the files and manually recreated each file from scratch, and simply copy-pasted the original contents into the files. It worked.

COMPUTERS!

Strange.

DLirry

Yeah, such stuff happens to me all the time) Makes me wonder, if it's me, or it's just another bug in The Matrix.