Blueprints Drops For Rare Ships.

Started by Ohfive30, April 08, 2015, 11:17:12 PM

Ohfive30

I was thinking it'd be interesting if there was another station, perhaps an engineering station or shipyard,
that would work in a similar way to the research station in that it would give you hulls for gathering some specific
blueprints/schematics that could drop from enemies.

At the moment, ships are available as soon as you have the money and the skill,
I think that having that sort of "epic loot" drop would be kinda cool

Silberspeer

But you understand that in order to implement this drop we'll need to implement whole industry mechanics in game, yes?  ;) That is not easy and resource consuming so we'll consider it because idea is very adequate. 

jjs026

Industry mechanics? Worth it!

This opens up the game to crafting systems, ore refinement, etc...these are things that have great appeal to many players. And who doesn't like epic loot?? :P

On a separate note, this could be an opportunity to further flesh out the prospector class, which appears to have a strong early game and then you basically switch to something else because there are no advanced options for it.

kyokei

Maybe an idea for a "rare" ship is a quest which makes you gather things and in the end gives you a ship.
Make the quest(s) so that the ships you get aren't overpowered but maybe somewhat equal to the ones you can buy.
This way players can either farm for their ships or do quests.
Of course to make this fair the prices of the ships would need to be redone in order to get a similar time spent feeling as doing the quests.

You can basically do the same for ship parts. This could be something that generates a lot of quests which shouldn't be too hard to create

Ohfive30

I could definitely see a quest line for a specific ship working. i might look at doing that for my next ship mod, have a bit of a quest line to get it.

Hammish

Yeah, me and a couple of the other modders have been tossing this idea around for a while.  It's not hard work, just time-consuming as all hell. :)

One suggestion I had to contribute as well: when setting up the 'materials list' you can set the materials to both pirate drops and to limited/rare store spawns.  This helps to balance out the fact that a fairly rare ship /should/ be a bit better than others by making it so that everyone has a shot at building them.  People like playing traders?  That's great, they can go from station to station making money and slowly stocking up on those rare materials. :)