GalaxyPedia

Started by Lurler, April 10, 2014, 03:46:31 AM

Lurler

We will be implementing help/tutorial system and as a part of that system we will also create GalaxyPedia. The name is of course a temporary one (please suggest something better :) ).
But the reason I created that topic is because I would like to hear your ideas on the best way to implement it.

So the way I see it now we will have a window with a list of topics on the left (separated into several categories) and the particular article of this pedia on the right. Something similar to this:

So, when you want to read about mining for example you would open the pedia, search for section "Mining", then click on "Mining asteroids" and read the article (with pictures) on how to do it and basically get all associated information.

That's the basic idea.

Any suggestions to make it better?

TormentoR

Awesome! I'd call it the Expansion(ist) handbook :)

Sbats

Hows about:
OmniPedia
Omnidex
UniPedia
Unidex.

Tchey

I always think gameplay and playable content should always come before walls of text and shiny pictures, but for sure i will be a nice addition to the game, later. As a name, galaxy, omni, universe... don't seem to fit. Should have the name of the game or something revelant about it. Voidex, Void Codex, Expandia...
http://jeux1d100.net/blog/

Ophidios

Maybe just keep it simple - Codex?

Don't need to give it a clever portmanteau.

Lurler

Quote from: Tchey on April 10, 2014, 06:09:05 AM
I always think gameplay and playable content should always come before walls of text and shiny pictures, but for sure i will be a nice addition to the game, later.
The only reason we are doing it sooner than later is because we need a tutorial. Surprising number of people can't figure out how to actually use the game :) So we just must introduce some kind of tutorial. And since it would be better to combine codex with the totorial we might as well do everything together.

As for the way to call it. Codex is just to simple and boring. Different variations of VoidPedia, etc. won't do it either because Void Expanse is just a small part of the galaxy. But the info is independent of that. So, something like a GalaxyPedia should be okay, but at the same time it sounds too cheesy :)

PS - VoidExpanse is the name of the game, while Void Expanse is the name of the region in the game. Don't mix it up :)

carch

omniwiki. XD

or.. err.. isn't the dominant 'faction' a federation? federation information service or something like that might work?

namsherf

Big thumbs-up for this idea.  An in-game tutorial (optional) would be awesome, and a reference would be very welcome - even in the form of a wiki.  (i.e. help info created directly from the game data files to reduce repeated hand-editing of changing info...)

daft73

Expansepedia, Lores of the Universe, The Space Compilation, Almanac of the Expanse, Travelers Concordance...any variation of these possibly

daft73

Quote from: Akillie on May 13, 2014, 02:05:02 AM
VeDex?

:)
Not sure why, but it took me a few looks to figure it out, even went as far as to google it..(that was interesting on it's own merit).. ;D. Then it hit me, I need more coffee.

DLirry

I'll just leave this here.
Doubting yourself is the only path to perfection