Any other servers?

Started by Canadianwarrior, August 07, 2014, 11:21:53 AM

Canadianwarrior

Just wanted to know if the community had any other servers up and running other than the two listed in the server topic. One of the servers seems shut down and the other is PvE only and I was hoping for a server that would allow for some pvp. Other than that do most of you just cruise around on the test server?

CW

kyokei

Well kunix is PVE but I think the option does not work yet soo.... :)

Lurler

From what I can tell - most people play SP. But I am sure once the game hits steam we will see a lot of new servers popping up.

FlessenGreendart

Once I get my R-Pi set up, I'm going to be testing if I can host a server on it stably, and then putting that out to the public.
Not sure on the details yet, but I think that the PVP element adds a lot to the game, where if you encounter someone, you have to tread carefully, because they might help you, or they might kill you.

New potential allies, but potentially dangerous enemies and all that..

kyokei

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on August 21, 2014, 03:58:35 AM
Once I get my R-Pi set up, I'm going to be testing if I can host a server on it stably, and then putting that out to the public.
Not sure on the details yet, but I think that the PVP element adds a lot to the game, where if you encounter someone, you have to tread carefully, because they might help you, or they might kill you.

New potential allies, but potentially dangerous enemies and all that..
Agreed with the PVP part but I am a PVE person so that's why kunix is PVE... I can host a second server which has PVP enabled (i like this idea actually :).
About hosting a server on the pi... I don't think this will work as VE server uses atleast 500-600 MB ram and is (atleast at the moment) Very CPU intensive. AI_enabled is working on getting the CPU down but when players are on the server you will need some significant CPU power to handle a few people.

But do try to host it on the PI, I am very curious at your results :)

FlessenGreendart

I suspected it would be a bit too heavy, but I figured that I have nothing to lose by trying.

If it works well enough on its own, I'll put it up on here, and we can do a stress test, though I'm not massively hopeful for a large online player base.

Hammish

I'll be running a PVP server for BTC once I have Tech 1 completed, if that helps.  That'll at least be enough to have the basic ships in the game, and a lot of options for lighter ships at least.  (Tech 1 will have 5 corvettes, 4 frigates and 1 cruiser only in addition to all small-size weapons and Tech 1 modules)