Log Off Mechanic

Started by Xargt, October 17, 2018, 07:12:24 PM

MilesD37

@Neoxion

Oh, i'm not trying to infer that you think it's bad that I can't play 12 hours a day. Maybe my estimate is high, but if there is a choice between a server that allows minimal inventory save and no inventory save, a vast majority will choose the form. It benefits even the most hardcore players too. There's still a constant sense of danger, but also there's the ability to not lose a decent set of armor and a weapon, or tools...

Like i said, i'm sure that in the end there'll be enough people that like it like you to support a server, but i'm talking about long term players. the person looking for a new game on steam, the ongoing income for the game that will support it's continued development... those players are going to prefer either something like my idea, or pve.

The casuals

Lurler

I just want to say that we know about this difficulty for new players, who haven't learned the game yet and don't know how to protect themselves.
But the problems is not that they get raided, but the fact that the damage is too great when they do.
So, we are already implrementing several changes in the new version of the game.

MilesD37

I look forward to seeing what you guys do with it, you guys are doing great with the game - obviously I hope that you never take ANY of my suggestions as an offense to your work!

Warbot

I've seen this problem in other games, and when you want to do a full, open loot pvp system, you can not have that.

The moment you add the ability to logg out and be safe, you force alt-vaulting and a lot of additional work upon the players while crippling an  integral part of the game.

If there'd be ten-thousands of players and dozens of different server types (mods), then yea, why not offer a PvE-ish, softcore-ish version with logging out and safe inventory,
but we're not there yet, and in my honest opinion, this does not belong to the core game.

Xargt

Quote from: Warbot on October 20, 2018, 05:29:16 PM
I've seen this problem in other games, and when you want to do a full, open loot pvp system, you can not have that.

The moment you add the ability to logg out and be safe, you force alt-vaulting and a lot of additional work upon the players while crippling an  integral part of the game.

If there'd be ten-thousands of players and dozens of different server types (mods), then yea, why not offer a PvE-ish, softcore-ish version with logging out and safe inventory...

For this, I have no objection.

but we're not there yet,

Where exactly are we?

Aren't we welcoming new people?

"Hi. Welcome to CryoFall. Enjoy the game."

(Then later when they sleep...)

(BOOM!)

XD

and in my honest opinion, this does not belong to the core game.

I just wanna say... I believe the core of the game is wider than most people think.

PEACE!

Uthred

First sorry for my fatal english :)
I like that idea (inspired by an other game)
By default you char gets logged out with all his equiped and maybe a bit of secure space the rest stays as a lootbag.
If you attack/kill another player or damage structures on claimed land you get a debuff which let your char stay logged in for a set time.

Neoxion

I agree with Warbot - anything that allows safe saving will be heavily abused. Newcomers can just learn how to save stuff, and I wonder what severe damage they suffer when they got raided. Everything up to tier 2 (incl.) can be refarmed really fast.

But in some games players are allowed to pincode their storages, so people need to actually destroy them in order to get the loot. Maybe there should also be something like this, but its storage space and construction cost should be appropriate (high cost, very low space - so people will not simply build them instead of usual boxes). But the idea of invincible storage is not good.
Another concept is a hidden stash, that can only be seen by other players with a help of special devices (stash available at low tier, device at high). If you put it inside your base - it will be scanned for sure if attacker has a device because people, who raid your base, will expect a hidden stash and scan your base. Basically this stash will work for low tier PVP, agains low-mid tier raiders. High level players dont really raid newbies because its a waste of time/resources. You can also link an ability to see this stash to Searching skill for example.