Thoughts on turrets

Started by Warbot, January 17, 2019, 03:55:00 AM

Warbot

As requested ;)

I'd imagine it like this:
- turrets come on a tall platform, so it is clear they can work (= shoot) over walls and also be attacked over walls, too
- obviously, you'd need 2 tiles space in between walls to be able to reach turrets (of a 1 by 1 tile footprint), or an unreasonably larger amount of doors for little added value (there would be a hole where the turret was, when it's destroy, which is required to advance into your base)
- idea: make turrets require 2 by 2 tiles due to their base/tower they stand on, so you effectively need 3 tiles space in between walls => problem solved, mostly
- turrets would need to be attacked from a distance, with firearms, requiring both time (healing) and material (guns, ammo, more ammo, armor) to disable, whereas the material required to disable/destroy it should be at least notably larger than the materials needed to build and maintain (ammo) the turret
- turret range has to be a tiny bit larger than any other firearms to prevent exploiting, you are supposed to take the hits if you want to get in! ;)
- turrets need a bit of free space for targetting stuff (or any other viable explanation) so you can not build another turret within x tiles of another (this distance would be a main value for balancing turrets, and a means to prevent turret spamming)
- as a means to prevent people from simply ignoring turrets and bombing the wall in front of them (and then the turret), they should have spread, which gives them a sort of AE-dmg on long distance (and lower dps), but much higher dps (and less/no AE) on short range, with the simple intention to make it a bad idea to get close to a turret, and instead requiring you to fight it from a distance, a few shots at a time, depnding on the turret and your gear ofc, note that getting closer would usually mean to also get into range of more than 1 turret at once, which further helps to counter this problem, this might need some testing

(the "2 and 3 tiles space in between walls to reach turrets" is meant as a necessity to reach them to refuel and repair)

Lurler

Thanks for sharing!
As I mentioned in Discord - some are very good points and we will go back to this list when we are adding the turrets into the game :)

Warbot

Now that I think of it, shooting over walls might be a problem with how things currently work, or not?

Also, how about the targeting? Isn't it required to "aim" at the ground tile something is on? that'd make this a little complicated, especially when a turret is behind a wall and thereby mostly hidden through it, so you had to visually aim at a part of the wall to technically aim at the base tile of the turret...
Is that going to work out? I mean, it shouldn't be too hard to make a client side check and redirect all clicks on a model to the corresponding base tile, right?