Lock On Range not modable?

Started by Chalkie, April 09, 2015, 10:42:33 PM

Chalkie

Hey guys/devs/robots,

For my latest mod I was trying to adjust the lock on range for radar, however changing the range does not seem to do anything.
Using a radar_targeting_range_value of 20 seemed to have no difference to using something such as 150. (they both allowed me to lock on only when the target was within firing distance)

I even increased the radar_range_value to match the radar_targeting_range_value but there was still no difference to when I could lock on (R Key)

Thanks.

Lurler

We just checked and this value does in fact work. Are you sure everything is working properly except this value? Can you actually see your new radar having this value in the game in tooltip?
Can you try putting a value like 5, and then comparing it to, say, 50?
If there is a problem we will fix it, but so far it works perfectly for us...

Chalkie

Yea I can see the value in game. Ill try to get some screen shots and post it below/edit this post.

Thanks.

EDIT:
Using 150 Range and Tracking Range, you can see they have to be pretty much in view able distance to be locked onto (which kind make the whole point of long range scanners + cruise missiles a little pointless :D)

The Radar

Target within my 150 Range, unable to lock on.

Only able to lock on once the Red Arrow appears (not 150 range away)

After editing the radar to have a lock on range of 5 I can only lock on when they're really close, it seem that the maximum range I can ever use is when that red arrow appears, which at that point you're close enough for the player/AI to detect you.

Edited Radar with 5 lock on range.

Reduced range works as I am unable to lock on even with the red arrow.

It's the only viable way I can think of of doing cruise missiles, ideally I would like an option for missiles to be able to track targets for X seconds after the initial lock and firing but I can only work with what's available :)

Lurler

Hm... That's not exactly how it should work...
The idea of the targeting range is that it won't lose a target while it is in that range.
But I'm not sure about acquiring it... since the idea is that you need to point a mouse to the target.

I need to ask other guys on the team about that :)

Chalkie

If it is in fact how far the lock on can remain connected after being established that would be great.
For my mod it would work great, as they would still have to be in normal lock on range but when they flee the missile would not just unlock (until their out of the range) like it does with some smaller tier radar as soon as they're off screen.

Lurler

Yes, in that case it will work exactly as you described.