Usability: Provide damage stats for weapons

Started by QuantumVortexX, January 01, 2020, 04:54:45 AM

QuantumVortexX

I propose to show the amount of damage a weapon does: as a tooltip over the weapon:

• in the inventory
  • at the  tech-page
and provide additional info:

• type of damage
  • range
  • accuracy/spreading
  • ammo usage

Thats why:

• There is no info available (forum, wiki, ingame) what a weapon is used for and no option to compare them
  • Weapons are expensive to learn and to build. Now, I have to guess, what weapon suits me best
  • In Short: choosing the next weapon can be frustraiting
  • Feature should be easy to implement

mav

Till those stats are provided by the Core, I'd suggest to install the CNEI mod which at least offers some of the information.
http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=1108.0 (http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=1108.0)

QuantumVortexX

@mav: Thank you for your reply. I have installed the mod - it is great!
But I think, these features should be integrated into the (vanilla) game - or the mod should be bundled with the game client.

ai_enabled

It's a problem to display this information in a clear way. For example, weapon damage depends on the ammo properties (if has ammo) but the weapon itself could also have a damage multiplier. And ammo has quite complicated propertiesΓÇöwhile armor penetration % will not confuse many players, it could also have several damage types (each with its own damage value) and also a final damage multiplier (which will confuse many). The damage formula is also quite complicated.
So we're considering how to implement the detailed tooltips in a non-confusing way. I wish it was easier! ;)
CNEI mod is definitely helpful to better understand these properties, but it's getting confusing quickly as there is no explanation of how the damage is actually calculated.

Regards!

QuantumVortexX

@ai_enabled: Thank you, for your explanation. I understand that the complete damage- or protection formula is too much details and hard to understand. Other games do not provide such either. But i think most of the players would agree:
There sohuld be a possibility to estimate the damage type and amount a weapon does.

Idea: This can be for instance a "star-rating" or "percent-bar" or a "damage per second" comparison value. These values dont have to be exact - it would be sufficient if they achieve a comparison.

I am looking forward to see such a feature :)