Destructable Space junk.

Started by Qtw, November 26, 2014, 01:06:39 PM

Qtw

First before i go into the request...loving the game so far. got it on the 24th. my birthday.
anyhoo.
I LOVE destructable space terrain. makes me feel like i am making it safer to travel. (I like to pretend what i do matters.)
I would like to see asteroids and space debris be able to be destroyed.

Or better yet...an optional setting that either lets the asteroids be mined and respawn resources or not.
also to have the quicker yet less profitable option of destroying the,get some resources, and they respawn elsewhere in the system.  and rather than just a pick on the fly. make it a world gen setting.
that way you can feel like you're cleaning up space and get profits from it. (at least for me.)

thanks!

Lurler

Welcome to the forums! :)

Actually, we already do plan something similar, but for space junk only. We want to add the ability to "salvage" as it's called. Basically you will have a device that lets you use it on one of these junk things and get some resources from it.

As for asteroids - it's a bit more complicated than that. We can't make it respawn just like that. And we can't allow players to destroy them. So, in case of asteroids it will have to remain as-is.

However, we would definitely like to add more interactivity overall. I have some ideas already like security beacons and ADS billboards floating in space. We'll see what we can do :)

kyokei

I think a good start would to make the debris destructible without having anything to Salvage, this way you can have areas with more debris and when fighting Pirates it would it make so that debris can block attacks but not permanently.
I think the same can be applied to Asteroids, when firing enough into an Asteroid you can make it explode. You can't salvage the parts yet but maybe what would be possible is to have parts of Asteroid float away which act as debris. Which you can then again destroy.
This would add a new layer to the game.

Lurler

And then people could destroy all asteroids on a server in an act of griefing.
And then we need to add a way for asteroids to spawn.
Not a good idea :) It's better to leave them as-is.

kyokei

Mmmhmm, I kinda forgot you have these kind of people yeah...
How much effort would it be to add movable space debris? As in debris which fly's from one side of the map to the other, randomly, at different speeds... so in this scenario it would have to spawn from somewhere.

Qtw

But my idea was for it to be a setting on world gen. that way people who dont like griefers can have it normal.
but yeah i see your point.
but what if the asteroids could respawn differently? like as a every once in a while a new one pops up in a new spot instead of being instant?