Author Topic: DESTRUCTIBLE STATIONS - in-progress - 9sMODS DEVELOPMENT  (Read 2879 times)

ninekorn

• View Profile
Re: Drone/Follower mod // in-progress
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2019, 12:55:23 am »
Things have evolved in an all out branching of my MODS... release of the Station Interior MOD is delayed as it will not just be the station interior mod anymore.

Here is my current map of development.

URGENT
1. create a new AI. The Station Siege Pirates// group of AI's. - spawn based on tech level of station or player level if i can get the player level somewhere. Spawning waves of enemies from time to time to attack the bases. Different types of enemies based on the level of the player or tech level. Notes: the headhunter chases the player. I would prefer the pirates to have a chance to hunt the player or go attack the bases. Also, waves of enemies that use my "formation system".
2.Choosing different types of Turrets like laser turrets and ballistic turrets at the player's choice for each station when they create station turrets.
3. making some lights or drawing "DOCKING" on the floor of the station where the players can dock.
4. REPAIRING TURRETS with the Station Terminal
5.making players PAY for turrets repair and turret building
6. INSTEAD OF WRITTING LOC 0/LOC 1/LOC 2/LOC 3 when creating a turret, i'll instead write the correct position with the current angle that the station is at. // GOTTA put the LOC in a clockwise or counterClockwise fashion also.
7. create a destroyed hull on death for each ships. to add also destroyed parts later. Which means, creating models of destroyed ships for all ships in the game...
8. salvaging.
9. Destructible stations.
10. buildable stations.

VERY URGENT
1.Also fix the spawning of the jumpgates/ergrekterminal/jumpgateTurrets/miners to be further away from the stations when spawning. (ABSOLUTELY VERY IMPORTANT). This might be one of the reasons the game is having colliders issues since sometimes they spawn right inside of the colliders and it creates some unexpected behavior... Might be the reason it crashes sometimes OUT of the blue in other systems.
2.fix the damage increase of collision and fuel consumption that happens the more you play... It's some kind of a bug. The more you play, the more damage you get from collisions and the more your ship consumes fuel... (ABSOLUTELY VERY IMPORTANT)

THE LESS URGENT
1. UPGRADING TURRETS
2. Stations with different turret behavior (attack any player/enemy on sight or enemy yes but player no etc.)
3. option to go back in the menu of building turrets.
4. REMOVE the SendGalaxyUpdate to RE-BLOCK THE JUMPGATES
5.Gotta COMPLETELY restart the unwalkable tiles. But NOT now. I will release the basic Station Interior MOD without the unwalkable tiles. I will ONLY put unwalkable tiles INSIDE of the station. It makes more sense and it will use much LESS memory (with arrays)
6. fixing the stations "geometric edge" looks of division walls. They look a bit too squared... (MAYBE)

THE SURPRISE
1. incorporate the rest. aka: surprise.

SOME OF WHAT I HAVE DONE TODAY AND YESTERDAY
1. replace all the market ships of the GALAXY MARKET with invisible ships instead to decrease the NPC ship Objects "overhead" (if any overhead) at the base. DONE
2. Building turrets from the station terminal from each station . DONE
3. Constructing the station terminal in order to create new turrets. (instead of calling it Maintenance terminal.) DONE
4. reincorporating the market Terminal DONE
5. COLLIDERS OF THE REFUEL/REPAIR Platforms to align correctly. DONE
6.Preparing the xml Files for the rotated stations. DONE
7.Preparing the xml Files for the rotated repair/refuel platforms.    DONE
8. DOCKING POINTS for the stations - priority. - DONE
9. Setting up the arrayOfStations in systemspreset.js and spawning the rotated stations DONE
10. Setting up the arrayOfRepair/Refuel platforms in systemPresets.js and spawning the rotated platforms for each station.  DONE
11. Spawning Turrets at the correct location based on the angle of the stations. DONE
13. gotta rename all stations XML to also incorporate the ANGLE of itself in their XML names. This will make the angle accessible in the scripts. This will make it possible to spawn turrets at the EXACT location that they need to be. im gonna make it with a 45 degree angle each station so 8 angles per stations. gotta do the same with the refuel and repair platform. DONE

And yes... I can code all of it. It is just a matter of time now...
nine

EDIT: The list of priorities have been changed to this instead. Once the list of VERY URGENT is done, I will release the basic Version of my mod to the community. Not more than 1-2 weeks to release this whole package. I will keep the community up to date on the development of my mod.

VERY URGENT
1.fix the damage increase of collision and fuel consumption that happens the more you play... It's some kind of a bug. The more you play, the more damage you get from collisions and the more your ship consumes fuel... (ABSOLUTELY VERY IMPORTANT) PARTLY FIXED 2019-05-20
2. Fix the spawning of the jumpgates/ergrekterminal/jumpgateTurrets/miners to be further away from the stations when spawning. (ABSOLUTELY VERY IMPORTANT). This might be one of the reasons the game is having colliders issues since sometimes they spawn right inside of the colliders and it creates some unexpected behavior... Might be the reason it crashes sometimes OUT of the blue in other systems.
3. create a new AI. The Station Siege Pirates// group of AI's. - spawn based on tech level of station or player level if i can get the player level somewhere. Spawning waves of enemies from time to time to attack the bases. Different types of enemies based on the level of the player or tech level. Notes: the headhunter chases the player. I would prefer the pirates to have a chance to hunt the player or go attack the bases. Also, waves of enemies that use my "formation system".
4. Reincorporate the onboard ship computer  DONE
5. ReIncorporate the Drones MOD for using drones OUTSIDE of the base. that was the surprise  DONE
6. create 4 types of combat drones / ballistic/laser beam / laser pulse/Rocket  instead of just the laser beam type.  DONE 2019-05-20 - NOW THE PLAYERS WILL BE ABLE TO USE RANGE DRONES AND CLOSE COMBAT DRONES. RANGE DRONES ARE SNIPER DRONES WITH DIFFERENT WEAPONS THAN THE CLOSE COMBAT DRONES. ONLY CLOSE COMBAT DRONES USE MACHINE GUNS.

7. create 4 types of base turrets / ballistic/laser beam /laser pulse/Rocket to be built at each stations  instead of just the Rocket type and ADD an option in the station Terminal so that players will be able to choose before building them.

URGENT
1. making some lights or drawing "DOCKING" on the floor of the station where the players can dock.
2. REPAIRING TURRETS with the Station Terminal
3.making players PAY for turrets repair and turret building
4. INSTEAD OF WRITTING LOC 0/LOC 1/LOC 2/LOC 3 when creating a turret, i'll instead write the correct position with the current angle that the station is at. // GOTTA put the LOC in a clockwise or counterClockwise fashion also.
5. create a destroyed hull on death for each ships. to add also destroyed parts later. Which means, creating models of destroyed ships for all ships in the game... Fun stuff but long. Gotta learn HOW to use the knife tool in Blender to cut parts of the mesh to bend it and make as if the metal got ripped or even make big cannon holes in the "metal hull" for destroyed ships.
6. salvaging.
7. Destructible stations. AFTER THE FIRST RELEASE. TOO MUCH WORK TO COMPLETE THE REST
8. buildable stations. AFTER THE FIRST RELEASE. TOO MUCH WORK TO COMPLETE THE REST

THE LESS URGENT
1. UPGRADING TURRETS
2. Stations with different turret behavior (attack any player/enemy on sight or enemy yes but player no etc.)
3. option to go back in the menu of building turrets.
4. REMOVE the SendGalaxyUpdate to RE-BLOCK THE JUMPGATES
5. Incorporating a logic that the enemies to spawn at a lower rate at some point when control of the system has succeeded. So that the player advances to the next system to finally get to the aliens systems.
6.Gotta COMPLETELY restart the unwalkable tiles. But NOT now. I will release the basic Station Interior MOD without the unwalkable tiles. I will ONLY put unwalkable tiles INSIDE of the station. It makes more sense and it will use much LESS memory (with arrays)
7. fixing the stations "geometric edge" looks of division walls. They look a bit too squared... (MAYBE)

DONE
5. replace all the market ships of the GALAXY MARKET with invisible ships instead to decrease the NPC ship Objects "overhead" (if any overhead) at the base.  DONE
1. FINISHING BUILDING TURRETS WITH THE TERMINAL FOR ALL STATIONS. DONE
2. Constructing the station terminal in order to repair turrets or buy new turrets. (instead of calling it Maintenance terminal.)  DONE
6. reincorporating the market Terminal  DONE
1. COLLIDERS OF THE REFUEL/REPAIR Platforms to align correctly.  DONE
1.Preparing the xml Files for the rotated stations.  DONE
2.Preparing the xml Files for the rotated repair/refuel platforms.    DONE
3. DOCKING POINTS for the stations - priority. -  DONE
4. Setting up the arrayOfStations in systemspreset.js and spawning the rotated stations DONE
5. Setting up the arrayOfRepair/Refuel platforms in systemPresets.js and spawning the rotated platforms for each station.   DONE
6. Spawning Turrets at the correct location based on the angle of the stations.  DONE
7.REDUCE the Rotated stations and limit them to NOT see the mining station from behind or any stations at 90 degrees.  WONT DO THIS AS IT SEEMS FINE
DONE
8. gotta rename all stations XML to also incorporate the ANGLE of itself in their XML names. This will make the angle accessible in the scripts. This will make it possible to spawn turrets at the EXACT location that they need to be. im gonna make it with a 45 degree angle each station so 8 angles per stations. gotta do the same with the refuel and repair platform.  DONE

Release of basic station interior MOD INCLUDING the Galaxy Market Terminal and buying of Turrets and the drones MOD basic version.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 06:41:15 pm by ninekorn »

ninekorn

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2019, 05:48:18 am »
current progress. The AI script architecture was changed because it wasnt going to work in multiplayer. But in the last 3 days I was able to get even further ahead in the mod with my new scripts. Watch this video to see new types of drones, with close combat drones and range combat drones with different weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9PU2Mdq7Hc&feature=youtu.be

ninekorn

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 31, 2019, 01:24:28 pm »
Hi dear Void Expanse Community. For the last week and a half to two weeks, I have been reworking the new pathfind since whatever I had coded back then wasnt working properly. I was creating grids of 10x10 tiles and creating new grids when the "seeker" position was stepping into those new grids but the data wasnt passed from the prior grid and the whole pathfind wasnt working properly because of that. Many changes had to be made. I am almost done with the changes but I am very happy with the new results. Video coming soon. Sorry for the bad quality of the last video, i didnt properly setup the scenes to correctly fade in and out.

Thank you for your patience.
nine

ninekorn

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2019, 04:46:58 pm »
My mod was plagued by two issues crashing the server... first issue was the colliders collision detection issue that hanged the main thread and there was a SaveGame issue. I had put at least 5 polygon colliders on top of 5 box colliders and the engine didnt like it, for the mining station. Now fixed.

As for the saveGame issue, I had made 1 closing bracket mistake for the generation of the bases in the systemsPreset.js script and also my old steam VoidExpanse Cloud saveGame wasnt synced so it seems that both of those issues were what was causing the server to crash when a SaveGame was initiated...

They have been plaguing my station interior MOD for weeks/months now ever since the first gen Station Interior Model were finished. I felt like I'd have to re-do all colliders on all stations, but i didnt have to, I am so glad.

What does it means? It means that the station Interior MOD barebone is finished... Other news coming soon. (barebone version is basically station interiors with colliders and turrets spawning at the correct positions - nothing else, oh and they are not textured yet).

EDIT: nevermind, the collider bug still seems present. Investigating now. its actually periodic it seems... might be due to still having some starting NPCS spawning right in the middle of colliders...

RE-EDIT: I've setup the mining station interior colliders so that no polygons touch any other polygons. I will keep testing tonight but it hasn't crashed for a while now.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 10:26:51 pm by ninekorn »

ninekorn

• View Profile
Re: Drone/Follower mod // in-progress - 9sMODS DEVELOPMENT
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2019, 07:53:25 am »
Just wanted to report that I've been taking a couple days off to relax and enjoy playing games as it's been a while that I have profited from that (like 3 years). Btw, for anyone interested in pathfind, i have created a pathfind library in Void Expanse that uses a "Spiral" type of tile discovery and use tiles of 2*2 (that can be customized to a certain extent) which is insanely lightweight compared to traditional pathfind that uses huge area to calculate pathfind tile distances. I was trying to find my post where I am explaining how it works and couldn't find it somehow so i decided to post it back here.

How it works is that the first set of tiles that are discovered are stated below from lower number to highest in a spiral shape type of array:

The first tile to be discovered is the tile #0. Then whatever other tile that the pathfind discovers increases the array to 9 length (for the first squared perimeter) but ONLY the chunk that is discovered is calculated and the others remain empty/null which makes it so that the pathfind is only discovering tiny chunks of 2*2 and leaves the rest null but how the pathfind works is that it keeps in memory the already discovered chunks of 2*2 (only the tiles that are pertinent to the path to target) so that when the pathfind finds the target, it's able to retrace the path. And the pathfind is unlimited in distance meaning that everytime the pathfind discovers a new chunk of 2*2 that is NOT inside the first perimeter of the array length, it will increase the size of the array to contain the new perimeter of the spiral which is insanely cool. For example, the first size is 9, the second perimeter increases the size of the array to 24 total chunks with mostly null data since only the chunks where the pathfind is heading are calculated, the next perimeter increases the spiral and square to make it so that the array contains 48 chunks, etc... The reason why I went with a spiral array instead of a traditional let's say 10*10 array of chunks or 5*5 array of chunks is that it was way too heavy in Void Expanse for every NPCs that were activating their pathfind.

If anyone knows where else I have posted this, please tell me as I don't remember, it might actually be in one of my videos. I'm thinking of creating a blog about this type of pathfind, although it uses Sebastian Lague's Youtube tutorial on pathfinding, i'm not sure if he uses the same "spiral" form of pathfind in his tutorial. I'd have to ask him if it's even possible to contact him.

As for the MODs, I have worked a tiny bit on "recycling" my station interior models and modified them for Modular Destructible stations. Here it is in the works with the modular parts highlighted in orange/yellow:

Outpost01 interior consists of building 13 parts (probably less after revising it)

I am just hoping that building separate parts for the station interior recycled Models from the 9Mods part 1.0 will make it so that it's friendlier with the Farseer Physics Engine in Void Expanse as I was encountering physics crash/server hangs in 9Mods part 1.0 where i had to temporarily "discontinue" the station interior mod. I still don't even know where the crashes were happening but I suspect that jumpgates or turrets colliders were spawning right in the station colliders which was crashing the server. I didn't continue testing to make that irrefutable conclusion, instead I moved on to other things.

So my goal is to bring the station interior Mod with destructible Modular parts and each part will have it's own physics for collision and it will be possible to build them separately and destroy them anywhere in the galaxy where you are permitted to build stations.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 08:17:14 am by ninekorn »

ninekorn

• View Profile
Re: DESTRUCTIBLE STATIONS - in-progress - 9sMODS DEVELOPMENT
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2019, 01:11:27 pm »
Change of plans. Stations will have much more destructible parts than first intended. But its not finished and currently, for some reasons, there is an offset to the outer walls of the stations. Here it is just showing the floor of the station and the outer walls that aren't aligned. Will keep working on it.

I am posting here to get some help on the matter if anyone's curious.
http://forums.atomictorch.com/index.php?topic=1402.0
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:34:40 pm by ninekorn »