Skill Points

Started by Hammish, August 17, 2014, 04:39:39 AM

Hammish

Game version: First noticed in .96c
Game mode: Single-player. (At least)
Bug location: Skill screen.
Steps to reproduce: Level up!
Reproduction rate: 100%

Not sure if this was tweaked some time back, but when I currently level up my character only seemed to be getting 5 SP.  Last time I played a serious character fairly high I thought gain/level was around 20, instead.  Is 5 skill points/level the correct/rebalanced amount (thus wanting very specialized characters) or a possible bug?

BeLugh

When testing the my mod i also had the feeling to get some extra skill points sometimes. But i guess some levels have experience needed calculated a little bit wrong. So that skill points are right, but some levels are gained faster than others. Not sure if this is right, but i got the feeling at least. Especially above lvl 20.

Hammish

Yeah, it's nothing game-breaking or anything, especially since I know they're still looking to do quite a bit with character concepts... just figured I'd ask how it's supposed to work now, if nothing else from a balancing standpoint for my own mod.

Lurler

Ehm... so you are just getting 5 SP instead of 10 SP on level up? O_o

BeLugh

10 per level is jormal. but sometimes you level that fast that you somehow already have 20-40 but maybe its only that the game feels slower than you actually level up

ai_enabled

I just checked code and I can assure you that every level gives you 10 skill points. If you gain instantly more that 1 level, you will receive 10 * (levels delta) skill points.

BeLugh

In that case, can you please check xp for level ups needed if there is something strange?
When this one is fine as well, leveling is sometimes just faster than it feels to.

ai_enabled

Experience for next level calculated by script Leveling.js:
function GetLevelExp(args)
{
    if (args.level < 2)
    {
        return 0;
    }

return 500 * args.level + Math.pow(args.level, 2.7);
}

As you can see on Worlfram Alpha plotted graph (http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=plot+500+*+x+%2B+x%5E2.7+from+x%3D1+to+100) higher levels requires significantly more experience.

Hammish

Yeah, I'm not sure why it seemed to be giving less on one run, but it's entirely possible I was just overtired.  Sorry about that.

Just did a trial run of level 1 to 10 and I came out with exactly the amount of SP I should have had.