PvE suggestions

Started by ShadowAngel, June 29, 2019, 06:36:12 AM

ShadowAngel

While playing the game i had few ideas that worked in other survival games:

1) Right now there is no incentive in PvE to build any other walls except wood. This can easily be mitigated by allowing certain animals attack player base. So stronger the animal - stronger walls it can damage, for example wooden walls can be damaged by any animal. Brick walls can be damaged by lizards, dessert critters, etc. Steel walls cannot be damaged at all, except boss level critter. Also would love to see automatic base defenses like turrets, traps, etc.

2) Would love to see random loot drops around the map defended by few NPC. Something like ruins but completely random, after it was looted it will despawn itself and any live NPC defenders.

ai_enabled

Hello!

Thanks for taking the time to make the suggestions!
1. We're planning to implement various game events in the future versions to make PvE more challenging. Something such as monsters attack during nights. So PvE players will need to invest into the base defenses.
Turrents and traps are planned for PvP and we could also introduce them in PvE.

2. We're adding airdrops in PvP version of the game (probably with July update). It will be a randomly spawned object with good loot and players will be notified about the approximate location (search area) of airdrop. So players will have to search and compete with each other to get the loot.
We're considering to introduce airdrops to PvE, by making the airdrop search area a PvP area so every player inside could kill and be killed though there is no death penalty from PvP death. It's similar to "Duel mode" but it will be toggled automatically for every player in the search area. Please let us know if you like this idea :-) .
We will also consider adding some dangerous creatures there.

Regards!

ShadowAngel

Thanks for taking the time to answer to my post!

1) If there will be attacks on player bases, there should be a way to auto defend your base. Or you will see no end to grifing. People would just drop few scorpions on your base while you doing ruin runs. Plus its fun to plan your defense against big wave of stupid NPCs  ;D Just look at terraria's blood moon.

2) Cool idea! As PvE only player i would like something like that to be implemented. Just hope it wont be noob massacre up there  :P

Anyway, thanks for your hard work. Really loving this game so far!

ai_enabled

Thanks!
Will do our best :-)

indria

Quote from: ai_enabled on June 29, 2019, 09:44:48 AM

2. We're adding airdrops in PvP version of the game (probably with July update). It will be a randomly spawned object with good loot and players will be notified about the approximate location (search area) of airdrop. So players will have to search and compete with each other to get the loot.
We're considering to introduce airdrops to PvE, by making the airdrop search area a PvP area so every player inside could kill and be killed though there is no death penalty from PvP death. It's similar to "Duel mode" but it will be toggled automatically for every player in the search area. Please let us know if you like this idea :-) .
We will also consider adding some dangerous creatures there.

to be honest, i would hate that. Forcing pvp should never be an option. Instead airdrops can attract(spawn?) wild life around them since you are planning to add new creatures and also with this can come with a new skill, "tracking", when you enter an airdrop zone(or ruins?) the game can give information about the creatures(and also players for the pvp purpose) around the drop zone relative to your skill level and maybe higher the level narrower the notified area?

I know it is players' choice to make groups, but i would love to see some content just for 1+ players.

ai_enabled

@indria, "Forcing pvp should never be an option"ΓÇöthat's our primary concern so we're assessing the idea.
By adding forced PvP areas (without any death penalty) we could spice up the gameplay a bit before we will be able to implement more PvE features and content.
All the T4 guns and armor in PvE currently have no useΓÇöthere are no high-tier NPCs and also AI is weak (a lot of work planned to make it good, current implementation is just the most basic AI we done) so making stronger NPCs is unlikely to provide a good PvE challenge now. Meanwhile, PvP would certainly provide a very good challenge.

Another important concern is that if airdrop is lootable by anyone without any need to fight, the first player who went there and found it (and killed guardian creatures if we add them), will take it and leaveΓÇöso other players who rushed to the area have no chance to truly compete for it. To ensure competition in PvP (and that even players who are not very close to the airdrop have a chance to come and take it), we're considering to add a cooldown timer (probably, 5-10 minutes) for the new airdropΓÇöso players have some time to locate it and need to hold their ground until they will be able to loot it.
The timer is essential to ensure that players who are away also have a chance to loot the airdrop. But if the same timer is added in PvE, and there is no forced PvP, players will be annoyed by standing near the airdrop and unable to compete for it (I could imagine some players there will simply disagree to enable "Duel mode" (PvP flag) on themselves)...so a single player could take it all and simply run away. To prevent this, we can make it that the loot items are automatically shared between all the nearby players automatically, but it's much harder to implement (as we don't have such mechanic yet) and still might feel not great...

The "tracking" idea is nice, but I'm not sure whether we actually want this as it will limit the effect of surprise attacks.

QuoteI know it is players' choice to make groups, but i would love to see some content just for 1+ players.
It's hard to make competitive content for solo players as larger groups always have advantage. Though, with some game design limitations we could reduce this advantage in some cases.
If you have any particular ideas in mind please feel free to let us know!

Regards!

ShadowAngel

As another way to spice up thing, you could spawn big boss monster instead of container. That way PvE component is preserved. Boss would be powerful enough to fight people in T4 gear.   Anyone who deals some % damage to it based on total LP will get loot when its killed. Just make sure its bullet spongy enough to survive few T4 characters. Some timer before world boss spawns with global notification would be nice.
As a result:
PvP get there battle royale mode, and PvE get world boss mode. I think that would be fun.
PS I know its hard to make separate game modes, so just wanted to say thank you for that. Not many studios willing to put on hard work for us casual players.

johnexus

I just thought how about a PvEvP mode.
I am not a developer just wanted to mention some ideas.

Something like e.g. a portal you can use to win the game while a big monster mob is protecting it also maybe in a PvP area. The team who managed to get trough wins the game e.g.
Or probably the possiblity to radiate some area for some time and so on.
Or start a wildfire :)
Place traps where animals and people can get caught/killed/get movement restriction.
or wolves get together to a pack like they always do ^^ raiding some animals or people as they cross their way.
Or maybe some strange alien activities which brings together all players to protect their homes / lives
Maybe poisoning food or water or air? :)
Maybe animals protecting resources or certain resources
Or maybe even a clan of local AI played poeple protecting or farming some resources

anony

i think there should also something like skipper in pve server just to carry more things when looting