Resets aren't fun or exciting

Started by Prism, December 19, 2020, 12:02:15 PM

Prism

I last played a year ago and burned out after seeing progress reset so often - now I logged in to find barely anyone playing.  I know the devs have mentioned how fun and exciting resets are but I find that hard to believe.

Any thoughts on having a more permanent PvP server?

ai_enabled

Hello!

Everyone is waiting for the A29 Update to release, including many PvE players if you've noticed. It was quite a while since the last update. Right now we're running the A29 Experimental version and planning to release it before the end of the year or soon after it!

Running permanent (no-wipes) servers proved a bad idea for us as I've mentioned before here in some topics or in Steam Discussions. Most players don't want to join too late or decide to leave soon as there are too many advanced players (with tons of bombs, equipment, mechs, greatly defended bases, etc). Furthermore, A29 will introduce factions and a leaderboard, so a permanent PvP server would look like a never-ending football game where newcomers have little chance to get to the top.

In comparison, starting on a fresh server ensures a leveled playing field and fair competition, and there are no speedrunners thanks to the introduction of tech tier time-gates. It's also more fun as gameplay in every tech tier feels different, with different combat tactics, events, and other activities.
It's just our experience with hosting the game servers for over 2 years by now. And lately, during A28 and earlier versions too, we've noticed a good number of players returning to play every PvP wipe.

Why not host one permanent PvP server as an experiment again? We can feature a community server if it gets a decent number of players joining it and playing there for a while, but we have no intention to host an official permanent PvP server. We want to keep the population as high as possible on the existing serversΓÇöit's not great when playerbase is fractured. Currently, we're hosting a bare minimum of servers that are necessary due to the ping/bad international internet routing.

We hope to see you on the A29 release day!
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Regards!