This is one of my dream games!

Started by Daehawk, March 11, 2015, 11:27:13 PM

Daehawk

I have many games in my head that are still to be made and this is one of them come to life! Its like a combo of S.P.A.Z. , Space Rangers 2, and Privateer. WOW. I bought it fast as I could. Still not played because for some reason this website is really really slow. It takes me over 30 seconds to go from page to page and the downloader took 20 minutes to get 2% then died on me. Still trying. If anyone knows any help Id appreciate it..thanks.
Anyways cant wait to play. I know Im going to LOVE it...I already do just from videos! Thanks so much for taking a chance and making a new type of game thats not just a simple game with a 2 or a 3 added to the end of the name.

Dae
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Silberspeer

Quote from: Daehawk on March 11, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
I have many games in my head that are still to be made and this is one of them come to life! Its like a combo of S.P.A.Z. , Space Rangers 2, and Privateer. WOW. I bought it fast as I could.
I know Im going to LOVE it...I already do just from videos! Thanks so much for taking a chance and making a new type of game thats not just a simple game with a 2 or a 3 added to the end of the name.

Hi, Dae! We felt very similarly to you when we created our game! Space Rangers 2 was our main inspiration along with many other Sci-Fi works. But that's just the beginning, we really hope that the game does well on steam which would enable us to continue working on it.

Quote from: Daehawk on March 11, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
Still not played because for some reason this website is really really slow. It takes me over 30 seconds to go from page to page and the downloader took 20 minutes to get 2% then died on me. Still trying. If anyone knows any help Id appreciate it..thanks.

I'm sorry to hear that. Can you check again now? If everything is clear and works properly at your side, just try to DL the game again - we rebooted server just in case and made some minor rearrangements.
If it still doesn't go properly - then please use the web trace tools such as http://network-tools.com/ and send us those reports. This will tell us why it was slow and if it was us or some other network at fault. We need to know, where the problem is.

Daehawk

Tried again. It got to 43% and failed. Ive restarted it again and its grabbing it at 152kbs I think it was. Slow going but could be worse. If it dies again Ill tracert to http://voidexpanse.com/ and post what it shows. The webpages are still slow. Im in the US in Tennessee near Chattanooga btw.

Aw it should do great. Its the type of game that gamers love but no one makes usually. It will get picked up. I posted it on our forums. Brad Wardell, a WoW dev, and some others visit so they'll pass it along I bet. You're welcome to join up :) . http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/index.php .

Thanks for trying to help me out too. Good to see a dev on top of their forums. :)

Dae

Daehawk

Died once more but I restarted again and it should finish this time. hope its all intact with no crc errors.

A pic of the downloader....

And a pic of the tracert to voidexpanse.com.....

Lurler

Quote from: Daehawk on March 12, 2015, 12:59:59 AM
Tried again. It got to 43% and failed. Ive restarted it again and its grabbing it at 152kbs I think it was. Slow going but could be worse. If it dies again Ill tracert to http://voidexpanse.com/ and post what it shows. The webpages are still slow. Im in the US in Tennessee near Chattanooga btw.
Sigh... :(
Something is really wrong with the server it seems. We contacted our hosting support and trying to figure out what is causing this.

EDIT: people from the hosting company just got back to us and said that they reconfigured the network and routing. It should (at least in theory) work now!

Aw it should do great. Its the type of game that gamers love but no one makes usually. It will get picked up. I posted it on our forums. Brad Wardell, a WoW dev, and some others visit so they'll pass it along I bet.
We hope so, but let's wait and see :)

You're welcome to join up :) . http://www.octopusoverlords.com/forum/index.php .
Nope :)
It gives me this error:
403 - Spammers Forbidden
Sorry this IP space has been banned due to excessive human bots spamming our forum, want to complain? Call your ISP.

Thanks for trying to help me out too. Good to see a dev on top of their forums. :)
No problem! I hope we can figure out what was wrong.

Daehawk

hmmmm Ill talk to our net guru about why its blocked. Sorry about that. Ill get back to you on what he says when he does :)

It downloaded and Im installing now. Sorry about your troubles. Its no worries to me. Everyone has troubles at times.

Dae

Lurler

Sure, I'm glad we were able to help.

Let us know your opinion after you play the game :)

Daehawk

Our forum mod would like to know your IP .....something about the block on the forum.

Daehawk

After the first load failed I have been playing off and on all night. Really enjoying the game. So much to do. More than I expected even. The music sounds like it has a Theremin in it  :) Game has a good feel to it. After these hours I think right now all I could ask for is a brighter more solid crosshair and weapon line. I turned it to 100% but I still lose sight of it in a fight. Maybe a way to custom color it even. After playing I think I was spot on with my guess that it looked like Space Rangers 2, SPAZ, and Privateer mixed together...shaken not stirred :) Awesome. I find myself thinking of the game when I step away and considering new things to do in it or what my next upgrade will be.

Dae

PS: About the forum block you are having trouble with ....this is what our web guy said.........What's their IP address, the blocks are set for geographically bad areas (Africa) for spam, or if the address is involved in attempting to login to the system (Automatic protection).

Lurler

And just think about how much more stuff we can add to the game :)

As for the block - don't worry, I won't be able to join anyway, unfortunately, because of the work, so it's okay.

Daehawk

Aww Im sorry to hear that. Maybe your devs could visit?...anyways Ill copy and paste what I posted on our forum in the game's thread......

I apologize for the big image. I cannot find a bigimg ability to auto size it here. My screen is 2560x180.Game looks beautiful at that res though.
(Lurler EDIT: Fixed it for you)

This is like SPAZ all over again. Its a game I think I might like but looks old school so Im not sure...then I play it and BAM!! hell ya to 11 baby :)Its not old school after all.  I am having a blast and all Im doing is mining in the first system. I spent all my cash on the big slow cargo rust bucket and made that all back on my first mining run. Im now making good cash and having fun . Im also learning theres a difference in asteroids and what you get from them. The one in the pic Ill post below has one mineral that sells for 15 creds EACH....sweet Jesus.

SO much fun...me mining near base.....

(click to enlarge)

Before I leave the system Im considering switching back to my fight hull...all my old ones I store....but Im not sure since this one has a missile mount.

Daehawk

How do I edit my pics to fit like you did for me? I usually use [bigimg] [/bigimg] but it doesn't work here.

UPDATE: Still having a blast. Ive visited 2 or 3 other sectors / systems. Im a little confused as to how the system levels work. My starting one was lvl 1 of course but the ones right beside it could be anything like 11 or 23. I see no reason it doesn't go lvl 1 then 2 then 3 or maybe have 3 lvl 2 systems around the start. I did jump up in tech after spending all my cash haha. Im mining again to make money since I have no idea if prices on goods are better than the next place Im going or not. It could use a color code to the prices. Like green means an item is on sale in this system and would probably get you a profit in the next. Red may mean over priced or high demand. News blurbs could help. Like "suchNsuch is desperately needed in system suchNsuch due to a disaster"

Lurler

Quote from: Daehawk on March 16, 2015, 12:34:48 AM
How do I edit my pics to fit like you did for me? I usually use [bigimg] [/bigimg] but it doesn't work here.
You can press "edit" on that message and see what I did. I just added the "width" property.

And about prices - in the tooltip there is actually a "default price" there. Which shows the base price of a items/goods. So, if it's lower - there is a good chance that you will be able to sell it for profit (in case of goods).

Daehawk

Guess it doesn't pay to be in hurry lol. Thank you.

Daehawk

Im trying to install a new mining device but it says in red text on it Asteroid mining ability. I dont see that in any of my skills so I cant add it or raise it up. Am I just missing something? I already can mine asteroids so what does this device do or do better and how do i get asteroid mining?

EDIT: Wait...is there something wrong with me or what am I missing? I bought a freighter because it holds more. But it comes with 2 guns slots and it says I dont have a gun skill. Looking in my combat skills..and the rest...I see nowhere to put a point into guns so I can arm my ship. Why am I missing so many skills I need?

EDIT2: I found it...but it was listed as medium ballistic weapons. I didn't see a light one to start me with. Guess I got that automatically. Still not seeing how to point up and use a better mining module.