Single Player

Started by smaurine82, September 10, 2020, 12:36:17 PM

smaurine82

I would enjoy this game tremendously more if there was a single-player mode or the ability to host a game on a computer (make it user friendly) that can be closed to others joining. I realize aspects of the game would have to be tweaked to make single-player make sense, but it would make the game appeal to an even wider range of people.

Khaos

I host a server that is usually geared to a few players, I find most of the time I am the only one playing at any given time, or maybe at most two others playing. I have adjusted the server so that the largest party is a two person group (as my daughter and I play together). just letting you know that there are servers around that are almost single person games, or at least very unpopulated.

ai_enabled

Indeed, it's a popular request. We're considering implementing an easier to set up local server or even a completely integrated single-player modeΓÇöbut only when there will be a bit more content. From our Trello card:
The single-player mode would be great to have. However, we also know that providing a lackluster single-player version is not a great idea as players will criticize it. So we're still considering introducing it in the future when the game will get more PvE content and improvementsΓÇöso it would be actually worth to play in a single-player mode. Improvements such as a good challenging AI and more mechanics to keep player entertained are planned and will get us closer to providing a fine single-player experience.
(it's here https://trello.com/c/SO53KFhf/49-singleplayer-mode-not-planned)

Regards!

gaara

hello
my opinion about single

first i played this game on fast pvp ( it was fun .. even when base was destroyed , with 10x  gathering i make new base about 1h )
then i try single on prive server ( set different  2x , 5x , 10x  after about 100h play time this way i definitely say it was so boring after i know the game )
now i play only pve with many great people and i say its the way , many funny  chat talking, queen rides , and trade option... its definitely not game for single

single can be like tutorial ( but quest line in pvp pve is far more better)

1514h for now.. ( 4 time more then other my games )and still not bored ( thx devs )

ai_enabled

@gaara, absolutely, and that's the reason why we usually suggest players to try PvE multiplayer instead of hosting their own server. Trading, joining forces together to fight the boss, simply chilling with old and new friends, even farming and building are really fun. And we're planning to expand that with more features and content.

But we acknowledge that a large number of players just either:
- don't want to play a multiplayer game no matter what
- want to play with a few friends only in their own world (classic co-op mode)
- or simply want to experiment with the game before jumping in big worlds

For all these cases providing a user-friendly option to quickly run your own local server would be a great addition. Especially if you could just invite your Steam friends or anyone else when you wish so.

Technically, it's already possible for everyone who has some basic knowledge of CMD and computer networks (manual port forwarding is often required to allow other players in) or by renting a third-party server as explained in the server setup guide http://wiki.atomictorch.com/CryoFall/Server/Setup (BTW, the Moderation section in that guide explains how you could enable the whitelist to allow connections of only selected players by adding their nicknames into the list).

Regards!

Khaos

Do not get me wrong I still love to play on more populated servers, at any given time I have bases on at least one other server than the one I host. I find most of the players are great help and I enjoy most of my interactions with them. It DOES add a lot of play-ability with more players. You DO miss a great deal of the playing experience when not interacting with others.{ie the commerce Skills are a bit of a waste when you are the only one on the server!}