Design your ship. Is this an actual feature?

Started by SpaceButler, March 17, 2015, 05:18:25 AM

SpaceButler

Or did I miss something?  Something about using Hundreds of different modules to custom make my ship.  Even the design.   Is that in?.  The Level of confusion is REAL. lol

WelshPixie

Right now you can upgrade all of the various components of your ship through various levels; the engine, shield, energy generator, radar, etc. But it doesn't change the appearance of your ship at all, only its stats. I don't know if it's a feature that hasn't made it in yet but right now you can't 'design' your ship in the sense of changing how it appears, only how it performs.

Lurler

Yes, exactly.

The ship is made from a lot of different components, and although you can't customize the visual appearance (at least not now), but you can customize all internal components of which there are A LOT :) Making each ship build quite different from the rest in every way.

omicron

btw.. how you can create ships?
wich software do you use?

Lurler

You mean how do we create 3d models for ships?
We use a number of different software tools, but the main two are blender and photoshop.

omicron

Quote from: Lurler on March 18, 2015, 07:32:36 PM
You mean how do we create 3d models for ships?
We use a number of different software tools, but the main two are blender and photoshop.

thanks ;)

James009

Is "designing your ship" a feature that is on the future roadmap because that would be outstanding.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but don't many of the upgrades (ie. weapons and engines) change the ship's appearance? I could have sworn when I changed out my engine the trail changed from yellow to blue in appearance (a very cool effect, btw).

Or I am crazy.

ForceUser

There are some modules that change the outward appearance of your ship including (but probably not limited to) Engines, Shields, Weapons (turrets) and Hull.

I can see how some people might misunderstand. I think in this case 'design' means perhaps more 'customize' than what a lot of people associate with 'design' although it is not technically wrong ;)

However, you CAN design your own ship through mods and it sounds easy enough. I might dust off my very rusty and very old modeling skills and give it a go at some point. I would absolutely LOVE to fly around in an Intrepid firing phasers and quantum torpedoes!