Loving this game.

Started by Mortimer, April 03, 2015, 11:29:33 PM

Mortimer

I usually don't make these kinds of posts but I saw this game pop up on steam last week and put in my wishlist to check out.  Then I saw today it had a tiny discount, so I really look into it watched some LP's and got hooked.  I went ahead and bought it on the AtomicTorch store, because generally if an indy game is really good I'll do that to better support the devs.

I only got about 3 hours into it today, but it seems huge, and there's a lot of depth.  It is great to see games like this pop up out of nowhere, that are new, fresh ideas, that don't feel like some old game I played years ago.

Mortimer

After playing a bit more, I am still having a blast, but I have noticed a few things.

1: Unless I am missing something when traveling long distances for a quest it there seems to be no way to set a course to a station directly but must set it to the system then once in the system you can target the station you want.

2:  I'd like to see an option to mark a quest, so that it will show waypoints to the jump gates from any system you are in and not just show a waypoint when you are in the quest's system.

3. I'd like for the docking option to show up when you can see the station you want to land on. when manually flying it feels like I have to slowly move real close and then press 'F' to dock or fly it in my self, it would be great if I could press 'F' out from 5 or 6 times the distance and let the auto pilot dock me in.

I think these would just smooth out the controls a bit and reduce switching targets in the map, especially out in space where you are being attacked and not want to check the map, or are flying manually to avoid pirates, but not sure where the jump gate is.

And something I didn't mention in the last post, I am really liking the art in the game, the characters, ships and maps all look very nice, and with the Wallpapers download, I had a hard time choosing just one to use as my background :)

Vulpes

1. You can actually set an autopilot inside the system, open up your system map, click as if you're trying to create a new waypoint and it will let you to autopilot to that point.

2. That would be cool

3. Autopilot (as described in 1)) will auto-dock you, double win!

Mortimer

Quote from: Vulpes on April 04, 2015, 08:36:45 PM
1. You can actually set an autopilot inside the system, open up your system map, click as if you're trying to create a new waypoint and it will let you to autopilot to that point.
I meant more of being able to select a point in a system several jumps away.  Like when you are about to leave a base you can set auto pilot to your final destination and go there without having to use your map in dangerous space.

Quote from: Vulpes on April 04, 2015, 08:36:45 PM
3. Autopilot (as described in 1)) will auto-dock you, double win!
Often times I still will manually fly to ports, especially if I have a quest marker and did not set my autopilot when I arrived in the system.  I tend to fly manually a lot even when a waypoint is set.   The AI tends to run you into debris or worse a pack of 3 or 4 pirates.  Once it even ran me into a black hole when I was trusting it to know what it was doing.

All these issues make harder difficulties more risky, since there is a lot to lose sometimes.  You don't want to die in your map or following the AI, it's best if you can stay in the fly screen, see your waypoints, and if you get off course use the AI, but still be ready to take manual control at a moments notice.

ForceUser

I've had very few issues with autopilot myself. Heck I was just in game thinking how good the autopilot actually is compared to most other games that have the feature. However it's kinda like Eve's AP; don't AFK. The only problems I've found so far is it takes its sweet time to jump you when it gets to a gate.

I think how well the AP functions is directly related to what engine/maneuvering thrusters you have. The cruise engine seems to work the best for me. Plows right through pirates without a scratch, just have a decent shield  ;D