Testing STEAM version

Started by Lurler, October 28, 2014, 03:48:07 AM

FlessenGreendart

Quote from: Valkor on November 24, 2014, 12:36:30 PMI don't see any logs nor any relevant console output.
Hi Valkor, you could send the logs found in the game directory, in a handy logs folder  ;)
There might be a crash dump folder too, usually named the date/time.

Hopefully there'll be useful info in these files for the devs  :)

Valkor

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on November 24, 2014, 04:01:15 PM
Hi Valkor, you could send the logs found in the game directory, in a handy logs folder  ;)
There might be a crash dump folder too, usually named the date/time.

Hopefully there'll be useful info in these files for the devs  :)

I see no logs in ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/VoidExpanse

FlessenGreendart

what subdirectories are there?
The structure should be something like Logs, Mods, Saves, Screenshots, Server_dotNET, Server_Mono, VoidExpanse_Data, and then some xmls and the exe. (bear in mind i'm on windows, so I may not be exact)

On an unrelated note, as I'm not sure whether to create a new topic for this, or if this is the designated thread for such things, but I figured I'd post some of my findings, thoughts, opinions and bugs (using the term loosely) on this version of VE.  :)

Firstly, I'd like to say that I was really taken aback by the new menu music, excellent job there, and it took a good while to bring myself to actually start the game! ;D
Secondly, the new ui really gives the game a fresh look, and I'm really impressed by it, although I did notice that the prompts on the left of the screen haven't had the same visual upgrade as everything else. I don't know whether that's an oversight, or if you guys didn't see a need to, and tbh it won't make that much of a difference anyway.

I like that the ship now has voice prompts, and I've found it really helpful in combat, but I personally think that the voice effect is a bit too harsh, especially with "Docking" and "Jumping" (makes me jump every time :P) I think I just needs a little softening, but again, this is just personal opinion, rather than an actual fault.

A few bugs and things I've noticed:
- When you're mining, the visual effect cuts off halfway through the animation (so far, only tested with civ mining devices) and the sounds don't always play properly
- Asteroids like to spawn in jump gates - while not a bug per se - It can be an issue when you can't see a hidden asteroid inside the gate, or you spawn flying into one (maybe add a condition on asteroid spawning to check for jump gates within a certain radius?)
- the EMP discharger icons for tech level and cost are cut off slightly (see images)
- Manual Docking in Business station is impossible - both entrances (tested in boomerang) (see images)
- laser animations seem jittery when quickly aiming (could be a framerate thing?)
- Random black text on item stats, (again, see images)
- Strange thing with the Boomerang hull - when weapons are fired, a mysterious glow appears around the 0,0,0 co-ords, like a muzzle flash that won't go away? (once again, see images)
- Something with the loot window, if you press f to take all when your inventory is full, a popup appears, but if you continue to press f, they stack, so you have loads of "inventory full" dialogs that you have to close individually.

On a side note, I've spotted a few grammatical errors (such as "What did he done?"), I don't know if you're addressing that yet, but I thought I'd make a passing mention.

All in all, so far, I like what I see, and don't think you've made a bad decision in the updates at all :)

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/an6yvum75syadac/AADCK699F5kN87kSMxfkqxiGa?dl=0

Valkor

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on November 24, 2014, 05:02:16 PM
what subdirectories are there?
The structure should be something like Logs, Mods, Saves, Screenshots, Server_dotNET, Server_Mono, VoidExpanse_Data, and then some xmls and the exe. (bear in mind i'm on windows, so I may not be exact)

mngrif@kosh:~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/VoidExpanse$ ls -la
total 17536
drwxr-xr-x  5 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:48 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif       87 Nov 24 05:23 .launch_args
drwxr-xr-x  2 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:23 Mods
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif      180 Nov 24 05:24 readme.txt
drwxr-xr-x  2 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:26 Server_Mono
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif        0 Nov 24 05:26 steam
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif        9 Nov 24 05:25 version.txt
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif 17918104 Nov 24 05:26 VoidExpanse
drwxr-xr-x  7 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:26 VoidExpanse_Data

Permissions are correct, Steam can write here just fine.

ai_enabled

Quote from: Valkor on November 24, 2014, 06:39:27 PM
mngrif@kosh:~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/VoidExpanse$ ls -la
total 17536
drwxr-xr-x  5 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:26 .
drwxr-xr-x 22 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:48 ..
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif       87 Nov 24 05:23 .launch_args
drwxr-xr-x  2 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:23 Mods
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif      180 Nov 24 05:24 readme.txt
drwxr-xr-x  2 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:26 Server_Mono
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif        0 Nov 24 05:26 steam
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif        9 Nov 24 05:25 version.txt
-rwxr-xr-x  1 mngrif mngrif 17918104 Nov 24 05:26 VoidExpanse
drwxr-xr-x  7 mngrif mngrif     4096 Nov 24 05:26 VoidExpanse_Data

Permissions are correct, Steam can write here just fine.
Hello! For any Unity3D game the log files located at ~/.config/unity3d/ folder. Could you please run the game again until it crashes again and share the log with us. Thanks!

ai_enabled

Quote from: FlessenGreendart on November 24, 2014, 05:02:16 PM
A few bugs and things I've noticed
Thanks for reporting! All issues will be fixed soon. The Notifications UI also will be redesigned to complete UI revamp.
Regards!

ai_enabled

Quote from: Tchey on November 23, 2014, 01:16:52 AMTrying the Steam Version for the first time, on Win7 64 bits computer now.
Hello! Thanks for reporting about issues and posting screenshots!
It's very strange that game runs the game server in console window (it should be hidden). Do you have this problem with the last stable build, downloaded from AtomicTorch.com?

Could you please run game until it crashes and upload the game logs somewhere? Logs located in two folders:
1. "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\VoidExpanse\Logs" (we need the whole folder, it contains all server logs);
2. "E:\Steam\steamapps\common\VoidExpanse\VoidExpanse_Data\output_log.txt" (we need only this file, it contains a client log from the last launch).
Regards!

Valkor

Quote from: ai_enabled on November 24, 2014, 09:03:50 PM
Hello! For any Unity3D game the log files located at ~/.config/unity3d/ folder. Please run the game again until it crash again and share log with us. Thanks!

Found it in "~/.config/unity3d/AtomicTorch Studio Pte. Ltd./VoidExpanse"

http://pastebin.com/PuqQvRdn < here it is. There's only the one log file, called "Player.log".
http://pastebin.com/RWUi8Tst < here's another. I started a new game, blew up a pirate, and it locked up after going to the hangar after landing.

EDIT:
Found the actual logs! They are located in ~/Documents/AtomicTorchStudio/VoidExpanse/Logs
Here's a tarball of them all. Have fun!
https://owncloud.lennier.info/public.php?service=files&t=1a88c293edb63cabff41471a0a242b3c

ai_enabled

Quote from: Valkor on November 24, 2014, 09:43:37 PMFound the actual logs!
Thank you for logs. Issue reproduced. We're working on fix.

kyokei

I have a few hours (hopefully) to spend on testing this weekend.
AI and Lurler, what do you want me to focus on and on which environment? (mac, linux, win)?

Excalibur

Quote from: kyokei on November 26, 2014, 06:07:24 AM
AI and Lurler, what do you want me to focus on and on which environment? (mac, linux, win)?

I dunno man, I've put about 20 or so hours in since Monday, on the Windows version, and I'll be damned if I can break it. Other then the littany of grammar and spelling errors (Tsk, tsk), the game always comes out looking like gold.

So, uhh, yeah. If you need text reports Lurler on the english stuff, let me know. Otherwise, pass me another build, brutha :D

Baal

If you are still looking for help testing STEAM, I am willing to help out.

Lurler

Quote from: kyokei on November 26, 2014, 06:07:24 AM
Sounds good, we definitely need more mac and linux testing.
And so far it seems there are quire a few problems on linux.
However, we've made a significant progress with it, thanks to reports posted here.
So, I would suggest to wait for the new (still TESTING) version, hopefully it will be ready by Friday.

Quote from: Excalibur on November 26, 2014, 07:22:11 AM
I dunno man, I've put about 20 or so hours in since Monday, on the Windows version, and I'll be damned if I can break it. Other then the littany of grammar and spelling errors (Tsk, tsk), the game always comes out looking like gold.
That's a good sign :) And yes, I tend to believe that the Windows version is fairly stable. Since we are able to test it on several computers with different configuration and with Win7/8 OSes.

Quote from: Baal on November 26, 2014, 05:43:53 PM
If you are still looking for help testing STEAM, I am willing to help out.
Thank you but, so far there are enough people. Plus we are out of keys to give away and if we wanted more we'd have to request them from Valve.

kyokei

I will only have time to test either the Mac or the Linux version so let me know :)

Lurler