Auto-turn broken? Or intended?

Started by Hunter0000, April 03, 2015, 09:00:20 PM

Hunter0000

Hello!

I recently bought the game, but once I got a ship with fixed mounts I started having a lot of trouble. I like to use the auto-rotate control scheme so I can focus on strafing whist facing the enemy - but the auto rotate mode does not rotate to face fixed guns at your cursor (they just end up close enough to let the turrets track)! For me this makes fix gun mounts essentially useless because I can't reliably face them at my target with only my mouse.

Is this intended behavior? I wasn't sure weather to write this as a bug report, but it seems so consistent as to be intentional.

ai_enabled

Hello!
Is not intended. Could you upload a screenshot please?
Regards!

Hunter0000

Sure thing, here's one in each direction.

In both cases I am on auto-track mode and the ship has stopped rotating. Notice the fixed gun is not pointed towards the cursor, only the turrets.

Glowbeard

Actually I think this IS intended.

That's why it's called a "FIXED" mount.  My Aurora ship has three fixed mounts and a single turning mount.  I've attached homing missiles to the fixed mounts and it works just fine.

askew1

I thought the mouse "turning" was working as intended also. If you have rotating laser mounts, they will follow the cursor and the ship will only turn when the gun tries to turn past the edge of it's mounted turning radius. It will only turn enough to get the laser pointed to where the mouse is. At this point any fixed mounts will still be pointing off to the side.

If this is not intended, then I've been playing the game wrong for a long time.

Hunter0000

Quote from: Glowbeard on April 07, 2015, 05:41:58 AM
Actually I think this IS intended.

That's why it's called a "FIXED" mount.  My Aurora ship has three fixed mounts and a single turning mount.  I've attached homing missiles to the fixed mounts and it works just fine.

That's what it felt like to me.

Obviously the fixed mount should not rotate. But I don't understand the point of this control mode if the ship does not rotate to point my fixed weapons - isn't the entire point that I can put my mouse where I want to shoot? I find anything with a fixed mount incredibly annoying to control... why would you only turn to converge turrets?

ai_enabled

Hi guys!
This is a bug and we will fix it in the future builds. The ship in auto-turning mode should rotate to the position of the cursor as precise as it can.
Regards!

Agalyon

Quote from: ai_enabled on April 07, 2015, 07:43:36 PM
Hi guys!
This is a bug and we will fix it in the future builds.
Regards!
Neat, good to hear. I came from a pretty similar game, you might have heard of it, Starsector. It has a very similar either/or control system, like Voidexpanse does, but it isn't toggled, its turned on and off by holding shift. It also points perfectly straight ahead, which was jarring for me when Voidexpanse didn't.

ai_enabled

Quote from: Agalyon on April 07, 2015, 07:46:12 PM
Neat, good to hear. I came from a pretty similar game, you might have heard of it, Starsector. It has a very similar either/or control system, like Voidexpanse does, but it isn't toggled, its turned on and off by holding shift. It also points perfectly straight ahead, which was jarring for me when Voidexpanse didn't.
Thanks for noticing it, will be fixed in the today patch - it was an easy fix so we didn't put it into the tasks queue and done it right now.

ForceUser

Ok wow, so tested this out and it is soooooo much better! Thanks!

Hunter0000

Just tried it out, awesome! Thanks for being so responsive!